Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 3, 2012, 21:15 eunichron

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 01:15:
Wikipedia says Wikipedia is fantastically accurate. In other news, GOP says "GOP is absolutely awesome", Democratic Party says "Democratic Party rocks the USA!" and Justin Bieber says "Justin Bieber is the best artist in the world."

Creston

Yeah... having two bachelors degrees in history, and working on my masters in library science, I have to call out Wikipedia on their bullshit.

On the whole it's more accurate than your typical info website or blog. It's OK for a quick reference to look up when you're having a conversation with friends, but as an academic source it's garbage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 3, 2012, 01:15 Creston

Wikipedia says Wikipedia is fantastically accurate. In other news, GOP says "GOP is absolutely awesome", Democratic Party says "Democratic Party rocks the USA!" and Justin Bieber says "Justin Bieber is the best artist in the world."

Creston

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 22:08 dj LiTh

Joss wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 22:05:
When Chrome can make a fucking sidebar Bookmarks list like FireFox's I'll switch.

Add speeddial2, thats one of its features, sidebar bookmarks /w recently closed as well.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 22:05 Joss

When Chrome can make a fucking sidebar Bookmarks list like FireFox's I'll switch.  

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 20:57 Dades

Firefox has always been fast for me, if people are really having speed problems with it then just make a clean profile. Chances are you have some shitty old stuff from extensions bloating up the local DB files and it could be easily fixed. They tightened it up quite a bit in the past few releases and got their shit together on the release schedule again. I could use Chrome but I would lose a bunch of functionality and gain 0.002ms in browsing speed so I don't think its worth it. Google also likes to let their projects languish when they get bored and they only seem interested in improving Chrome on mobiles now.  

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 19:21 dj LiTh

I use to rock firefox years ago, but it i think those were probably the worst times that browser has ever seen. Bloated, broken, slow, etc. I tried chrome but it just wasnt there yet. So i went to opera, i really fell in love with that browser....except.....there'd be rendering errors at times and other weird problems that really really irked me.

I recently just a few months ago went to chrome, what i was really missing was the speeddial but /w sync capabilities....well i finally just ended up paying for the speeddial2's sync pro feature. Now my experience is always the same between my desktop and laptop, although it being a very clunky way of doing it. So between google sync and speeddial2's pro sync feature i'm set on chrome for the long haul it looks like.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 18:36 HorrorScope

The only issue I have with Firefox is memory of it and it's plugins is a bit excessive and closing tabs doesn't save you. You need to exit and reload. Other then that, the couple of security plugins I do have keep my malware at ZERO and that is damn impressive. Zero tracking cookies months on end... Nice.  

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 17:44 Aero

Firefox really has become a big schizoid mess with development bumbling forward faster than it should with no clear goal or methodology. It's a shame because there were some plugins I really liked, but it just wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with all the regression and bloat.  

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 16:06 Parallax Abstraction

I switched to Chrome because Firefox was continuing to be bloated and slow (even after they said they'd finally fixed the memory leak for the 1500th time) and one day, my Sync account just broke and they outright acknowledged the problem but refused to fix it. Now I'm thinking of switching back because Chrome's internal sync keep just stopping for no reason unless I unbind my systems and rebind them which results in out of date sync data getting pushed back to them. Tons of people are having the problem and have been forever but it still isn't fixed and Google employees have just stopped posting in their official forums. It's a shame because I like Chrome but Google's getting lazy with it.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 16:02 NegaDeath

Chrome is certainly quick, I wish Firefox could match that. But with Firefox I can get it set up just about perfectly to my tastes with all the add-ons and extensions, Chrome isn't there yet. If we could have Chromes engine combined with Firefox's suite of customization we'd have the perfect browser.  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 13:52 SpectralMeat

Techie714 wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 10:56:
The dictionary in Chrome SUCKS!
I am glad I am not the only one thinks that. It really does suck big time.

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 13:26 Marvin T. Martian

I've been able to disable and/or hide everything that Facebook throws at me (ads, sponsered/targeted news etc) using Firefox and addons. That alone makes FF the choice for me.  

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 13:07 eRe4s3r

The spell check in Chrome is hilariously broken Also terribly slow. Kinda sad  

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 12:59 Tim Collins

Firefox is better then Chrome as a whole, I will say Firefox at times does not have the most stable release, it does have the best browser out tho.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2012, 13:04.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 11:31 Axis

True open source has no competition.

Hilarious we're seeing all these internet explorer commercials - it's like MS WANTS you to get infested with malware!

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 11:10 Verno

I tried switching to Chrome (again) but the lack of a Tab Mix Plus style extension killed it for me. There's always some little piece of functionality missing or implemented in a different enough way that it bugs me. I guess ultimately I don't really ask much from a web browser either so they're all getting to be pretty samey outside of extensions. Also the recent addition of a Webcam API to Chrome set off some security alarm bells in the press recently.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 10:56 Techie714

I just switched from Firefox to Chrome a few months ago & I love it. Although I will say it's not that much better than FF. The dictionary in Chrome SUCKS! I've noticed Chrome to be a little faster at rendering pages than FF.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo