Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I have a vet appointment for the doggies today, so hopefully we'll begin to get to the bottom of the bloody stool I found, which will hopefully be not as dire as it sounds. Wish me luck, I've certainly got my fingers crossed.

Crossed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Warflash 2.
100% Complete.
Links: Sriracha Rooster Sauce Lollypops.
"Vertigo" The Greatest Movie Ever Made?
Stories: Sim City- South Korea's $35 Billion Plan to Build a City from Scratch. Thanks brother19.
CBS Is Rebooting The Brady Bunch with a Divorced Bobby.
-X-Men- First Class: Sequel Title Set. Thanks nin.
Media: How Skyrim Should Have Ended.
Snoring dog wakes to the smell of food.
'Excited Train Guy' Goes Off the Rails While Filming Classic Locomotives.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens Comic Strip.
Follow-up: "Prometheus" Sequel Moving Forward.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2012, 10:26 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 17:42:
It was Michael Douglas' best IMO.
I'd agree Black Rain is a bit overlooked. I really like him in Solitary Man, or more accurately I really liked the character. Although I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed in the ending of the film.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2012, 08:48 nin

So frustrating. The characters make stupid decision after stupid decision. These are supposed to be some of the most intelligent scientists in history. And that shit that Michael pulled? At least in Alien the provide a rational explanation for why Ash does what he does. But no reason here. And everyone spends 2.5 years in cryo before even hearing what the mission is??? Strains believability.

Yeah, there was a lot of small details that really made no sense.

"Let's march into an unknown alien structure that was obviously built, yet have virtually no weaponry to defend ourselves!"

"Everyone! Helmets off! Whoo hoo!"

"Look at the cute snake! Let's pet it!!!!!"

"Guys! We're the only ones left! Let's just say "Fuck It!" by sacrificing our own lives and crash into that ship!" "Fuck yes!!!"

"Oh god! Oh god! It's falling in a straight line! Let's OUTRUN IT!!!!!"

I don't think it's my love of the alien franchise and high expectations that let me down, so much as a badly written script.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 21:42 eunichron

My cat has a case of worms. tried some over the counter stuff and none of it worked, so I'm taking him in tomorrow for a once-over and a prescription. I have him locked up in my room with a litter box for an easy stool sample, but he likes to spend a lot of time outside so he's pretty much going nuts right now. He is also not too fond of people other than myself, and hasn't been to the vet since being neutered, so it will be interesting to see how he handles it.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 21:40 Lokust

There are people that actually want a Prometheus sequel? I still kind of want my two hours and ten bucks back.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 20:09 Prez

Okay Prometheus wasn't as well written as it could have beem but Charlize Theron still looked hot, amirite?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 18:33 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 14:11:
Prez wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:58:
Also, I am glad there is going to be a sequel to Prometheus. The internet hate machine was working overtime on that one, but in truth the movie's bad points are grossly overstated. I'd be lying if I say I wasn't a little disappointed with it, but it I found it pretty compelling nonetheless.

I really wanted to love it but man they really fucked up on the writing, plot devices and the inconsistent characterization. There's so many moments that defy logical explanation and normally I can overlook some of that but they keep stacking up as the movie progresses. It was still a good movie but it was far from great, I'd rate it a three star movie to me.

So frustrating. The characters make stupid decision after stupid decision. These are supposed to be some of the most intelligent scientists in history. And that shit that Michael pulled? At least in Alien the provide a rational explanation for why Ash does what he does. But no reason here. And everyone spends 2.5 years in cryo before even hearing what the mission is??? Strains believability.

Although the movie had some problems, if you want to watch scientists acting like scientists and real human beings as well, watch Sunshine.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 17:58 kanniballl

Also, apparently it's only a quasi-prequel. I thought I recall seeing a quote from Ridley that they weren't going with a full-on prequel that completely ties in. More conceptual, almost like a reboot.

Also, from what I heard... there isn't that much that can't be explained with just a little imagination to close the gaps between A and B

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 17:42 Cutter

nin wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 15:50:
Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 15:32:
Yeah, Ridley has always been my favourite director but Prometheus was a pretty big letdown.

I still really like his work, but I think his 90s and 00 stuff can be a bit hit or miss. Black Hawk Down and Kingdom of Heaven (watch the directors cut), were both quite enjoyable.

But I'll always be a fan for Blade Runner, Alien, and (to a less extent) Legend.

Body of Lies, American Gangster, were good too. Someone to Watch over Me and White Squall are also excellent films of his and not generally mentioned when talking about him, but besides Blade Runner my favourite of his would be Black Rain. I love that film and watch it regularly a few times a year. It was Michael Douglas' best IMO. The cinematography, the pacing, he just nailed everything with that film. Still one of the best cop/action flicks ever made.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15. pack it up pack it in Aug 2, 2012, 16:27 space captain

finally got that ps2 key on the twitter

Word to your moms I came to drop bombs

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 16:08 Creston

Good luck with your doggies, Blue!

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 15:50 nin

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 15:32:
Yeah, Ridley has always been my favourite director but Prometheus was a pretty big letdown.

I still really like his work, but I think his 90s and 00 stuff can be a bit hit or miss. Black Hawk Down and Kingdom of Heaven (watch the directors cut), were both quite enjoyable.

But I'll always be a fan for Blade Runner, Alien, and (to a less extent) Legend.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 15:32 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 14:17 nin

The internet hate machine was working overtime on that one, but in truth the movie's bad points are grossly overstated.

It had plot holes you could drive a truck through...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 14:11 Verno

Prez wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:58:
Also, I am glad there is going to be a sequel to Prometheus. The internet hate machine was working overtime on that one, but in truth the movie's bad points are grossly overstated. I'd be lying if I say I wasn't a little disappointed with it, but it I found it pretty compelling nonetheless.

I really wanted to love it but man they really fucked up on the writing, plot devices and the inconsistent characterization. There's so many moments that defy logical explanation and normally I can overlook some of that but they keep stacking up as the movie progresses. It was still a good movie but it was far from great, I'd rate it a three star movie to me.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 13:10 Prez

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 13:00:
Good luck to your doggies!

Er, a Prometheus sequel? Wouldn't that be Alien? (I haven't watched it yet. Waiting for BD release.)

The way Prometheus ended has the surviving scientist headed off to the home planet of the large humanoid aliens who **SPOILER!** created the human race and the malignant organisms that spawned the Alien **SPOILER!** for answers, which would still be prior to the events in "Alien".

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 13:00 Agent.X7

Good luck to your doggies!

Er, a Prometheus sequel? Wouldn't that be Alien? (I haven't watched it yet. Waiting for BD release.)

That article about Songdo, the South Korean city is pretty interesting. Sounds like a cool place to move to.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2012, 13:09.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 12:58 Prez

Hoping for healthy doggies. Fingerscrossed

- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 12:25 Cutter

Good luck, Blue!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 12:17 sauron

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 11:21:
Don't forget to bring a sample of his stool with you. No joke.

Good luck, and try to take a (fresh) sample with you for culture and microscopy. Although they'll probably try colitis therapy first.

Kittens!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2012, 11:27 nin

Good luck, Blue! Hang in there!

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo