Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Jagged Alliance: Crossfire in September

Kalypso Media USA announces a September release is planned for Jagged Alliance: Crossfire, their upcoming standalone expansion for Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, their strategy/RPG revival. The announcement includes this updated feature list:

• Tactical combat at its finest, using the enhanced “Plan n Go” system of plotting your team's moves strategically, then executing them in nail-biting real time
  • 10 new mercenaries round out your team, completing a roster of more than 50 distinct combatants with unique skills, weaknesses and quirky personalities
  • 10 new maps set in the unforgiving, frozen countryside of the mountain nation of Khanpaa, will challenge your planning skills -- rocky mountain terrain, narrow valleys and icy cliffs will provide new cover opportunities, chokepoints and offer optimum ambush points
  • 15+ hours of gameplay across a brand new standalone campaign with a broad variety of missions
  • New weapons, enemies and equipment - supplies are scarce, and your mercenaries will have to make the most of outdated weapons, limited supplies and equipment
  • Enjoy the Jagged Alliance series as never before with vastly improved graphics, enhanced AI behavior, optional line-of-sight/fog of war, a polished interface and numerous performance and gameplay updates

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire in September Aug 2, 2012, 13:10 Mingus

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 11:11:

Still don't see any reason to get this since I always have JA2 installed somewhere on my drive.

Ditto.

Note to developers: just stick to a tried an true formula when doing remakes of classic games please. Nobody is interested in your 're-imaging' of a classic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire in September Aug 2, 2012, 11:11 Dmitri_M

Poor voice acting? The voices are a huge part of the originals.

Still don't see any reason to get this since I always have JA2 installed somewhere on my drive.

4. Re: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire in September Aug 2, 2012, 06:34 panbient

ShakyJake wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 02:57:
-The voice acting is some of the most bored-sounding I've heard in a long time, and really makes you wince when certain mercs start reciting their lines in a dull monotone.

-You can repair weapons, but not armor. This is one of those things where I just assumed I was missing something obvious, because the different armors and the camouflage bonuses they give are actually very cool. Alas, to replace the money sink that weekly expenses made in the earlier game (there aren't any), you are intended to spend your money replacing all that cool stuff you've been outfitting your mercs in, and which gets shot up in every mission.

-You no longer have an in-game avatar! No longer do you have the option of taking the personality test and then existing as one of the mercs down on the battlefield. Your sole role now is of faceless commander, giving orders. This is baffling to me, because any time JA was ever discussed between me and friends, the personality test and in-game avatar was one of the things most fondly remembered.

This, this and THIS! While I agree with the others too, these are the main 3 gripes for me. The voice acting isn't just bored sounding it's on the verge of racism with the horrible forced accents everyone seems to have.

I'd also much rather get 0 new mercenaries and the option to create a single custom merc than 10 more 'quirky' personalities.

3. Re: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire in September Aug 2, 2012, 02:57 ShakyJake

To be honest, the "Plan n Go" part of the game isn't the problem with the game. It's actually very cool to see your mercs executing their orders in real time, especially given the option for synchronizing their actions together. Unfortunately, there's a lot missing in this game, even compared to the original games 13+ years ago.

-There's no vehicles to travel around in, which kind of makes you wonder what the point of the SAM sites are no with no helicopter to cruise around in.

-The voice acting is some of the most bored-sounding I've heard in a long time, and really makes you wince when certain mercs start reciting their lines in a dull monotone.

-You can only have one attachment per gun since attachments are "equipped" to your character and not your weapon. I've read that there exist combinations of some attachments so that you're not limited to just one, but either those are much further along than I am in the game, or that discussion must have been about a mod.

-Buildings are no longer completely destructible, and you can only blast through predetermined points marked with green glowing silhouettes. Maybe not a huge deal, but I miss the mayhem you could randomly unleash with a LAW.

-You can repair weapons, but not armor. This is one of those things where I just assumed I was missing something obvious, because the different armors and the camouflage bonuses they give are actually very cool. Alas, to replace the money sink that weekly expenses made in the earlier game (there aren't any), you are intended to spend your money replacing all that cool stuff you've been outfitting your mercs in, and which gets shot up in every mission.

-You no longer have an in-game avatar! No longer do you have the option of taking the personality test and then existing as one of the mercs down on the battlefield. Your sole role now is of faceless commander, giving orders. This is baffling to me, because any time JA was ever discussed between me and friends, the personality test and in-game avatar was one of the things most fondly remembered.

Honorary mentions should go to the fact that there used to be no fog of war or sector inventory before one of the recent content patches, which made the game both trivial on one hand, and tedious on the other. All in all, while there are plenty of good things about the game (full 3d enviroment, graphics, cool camouflage system), it just comes off as a cheap knock-off to me.

2. Re: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire in September Aug 1, 2012, 22:51 Prez

ochentay4 wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 21:47:
I still need to START Jagged Alliance: Back in Action... sigh. So many games...

I picked up Back in Action over the Steam sale for 10 bucks but I haven't tried it yet. That's all I was willing to pay since they felt the need to mess with the perfect turn-based gameplay.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire in September Aug 1, 2012, 21:47 ochentay4

I still need to START Jagged Alliance: Back in Action... sigh. So many games...  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo