Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2012, 17:31 Bet

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 16:31:
Bet wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 14:49:
Monopolization is bad...monopolization is bad...where did I hear that before...oh yeah, middle & high school. Do they even bother teaching that anymore, or are we just resigned to the monopolization of everything eventually, now?

However, in college they teach you to forget all that other bull-shit. Money is the only thing that matters. Now pay your tuition or get lost.
Hahah! Too true.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: NBC's coverage Aug 1, 2012, 17:17 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 14:15:
Olympics coverage is now just Nancy Grace except the pretty white girls aren't missing or dead. Find the prettiest white girl and check out her fascinating human interest story.

It's worse than that. Not only are they emphasizing the white women, but they're actually cutting out the black ones.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2012, 16:31 SimplyMonk

Bet wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 14:49:
Monopolization is bad...monopolization is bad...where did I hear that before...oh yeah, middle & high school. Do they even bother teaching that anymore, or are we just resigned to the monopolization of everything eventually, now?

However, in college they teach you to forget all that other bull-shit. Money is the only thing that matters. Now pay your tuition or get lost.

7. Re: NBC's coverage Aug 1, 2012, 14:53 Flatline

Stolen shamelessly from my friend's facebook status:

Me: "Man, the Olympics coverage couldn't get any worse."
NBC: "And now joining us down at the pool is Ryan Seacrest!"
Me: "FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU"

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2012, 14:49 Bet

Monopolizing the Olympic coverage is just lol though, completely flies in the face of the logic of 'friendly competition' between nations. At least we know who the real power is in America.

5. Re: NBC's coverage Aug 1, 2012, 14:15 NKD

Olympics coverage is now just Nancy Grace except the pretty white girls aren't missing or dead. Find the prettiest white girl and check out her fascinating human interest story.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

4. NBC's coverage Aug 1, 2012, 13:19 Creston

The whole "we're pretending it's live" thing really doesn't bother me, but what does bother me is that NBC is apparently fucking UNABLE to give you a score.

Athlete so and so performed jump so and so. Cool. What did they score? Oh, wait, we're just going to go to the next athlete. Great...

And then they are also seemingly incapable of actually managing volume levels. Trying to hear the commentators last night during gymnastics was basically impossible, and they had the exact same fucking issue during the cycling contests. It must be really hard to figure out how to dial up one sound stream and dial down the other one.

I miss the old Dutch coverage of the Olympics.

Creston

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2012, 12:51 SimplyMonk

The whole relationship between Zynga and Facebook is interesting. FB generates 10% of its revenue from Zynga, but yet they are constantly implementing new restrictions on "game spam" which directly hurts Zynga's sales which has some pretty solid numbers supporting the more "spammy" a game is, the higher its install base and the more revenue it tends to generate.

FB might just be trying to get ahead of the bubble burst though. Why annoy a large number of your users, to the point of deactivating their accounts, just to help boost a fad in Zynga's titles? Better to sacrifice a little revenue now in order to cut back on account deactivation and build a better relationship with the user and more stable revenue down the road.

As it has been shown by the failure of their own website service, Zynga needs FB. FB doesn't need Zynga. Zynga's main goal is to shake that platform dependence now, but it only seems to know how to make games that rely on the FB model as its iPhone titles have been fairly weak in comparison.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2012, 12:41 Beamer

Social gaming is absolutely a bubble.
We'll see plenty of those companies survive, but the ones that focus on making fun games people want to be addicted to, rather than getting as much money out of you and addicting you by withholding.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 1, 2012, 12:33 avianflu

Genuinely major crash and burn for Zynga.

Perhaps a prophetic sign for the "social gaming" bubble.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo