Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Old Republic F2P This Fall

EA announces that they are adding a free-to-play option to Star Wars: The Old Republic this fall, a move many have been expecting for the Star Wars MMORPG, which has not exactly being WoWing everyone with its subscription model. Word is: "This option will give players access to each of the eight iconic Star Wars character class storylines, all the way up to level 50, with certain restrictions*. Unlimited game access, including new higher-level game content and new features will be made available through individual purchases or through a subscription option." Here's more:

Starting this fall, there will be two different ways to play Star Wars: The Old Republic:

• Subscription – A service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription or by redeeming a Game Time Card. In addition to gaining access to all game content as our current subscribers do now, Subscribers will receive ongoing monthly grants of Cartel Coins**, the new virtual currency that will be introduced later this fall. Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.
  • Free-to-Play –The first 50 levels will be free-to-play, with some restrictions on access to new content and advanced player features. Some restrictions can be “unlocked” with Cartel Coins.

As the first step towards adding the new Free-to-Play option this fall, in August at retail Star Wars: The Old Republic will go on sale for $14.99 USD, including one-month of free subscription.

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

39. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 19:14 eunichron

ASeven wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:38:
Confirmed, they hung up (or rather they took it offline) on GS. Wow. Fuck me.

http://www.twitch.tv/servot/b/326938076 46:20 in.

Wow. GS implying EA of financial fraud or, at the very least, number coloring on the report. This is going to end well.

Holy fuck. This is big for those of us working in the financial world.

Well, if anyone knows financial fraud, it's Goldman Sachs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 19:08 NegaDeath

ASeven wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:57:
Prez wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:54:
Now can we make some singleplayer games for fuck's sake?

Now that I am on board with.

Agreed as well.

Signed.

37. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:57 ASeven

Icewind wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:47:
The genre is dead.

Dead? I'm not so sure. Supremely boring, hopelessly broken, and inherently flawed? Definitely. In my opinion anyway.

Agreed with Prez. The MMO optimum model has not be found and probably will never be but MMOs, good ones at least, are successful to a degree.

Agreed as well.

36. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:54 Prez

The genre is dead.

Dead? I'm not so sure. Supremely boring, hopelessly broken, and inherently flawed? Definitely. In my opinion anyway.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:54 Closed Betas

The MMO has been dead as a genre for years. I know, tell me how everyone and your mother plays WoW and that Guild Wars was bluesnews.com's special game...but you know WOW is only popular due to gamer peer pressure and GW is, well...an old folks game.

The genre is dead.

Sorry, you are just way off base. The problem is the approach of making the game, cookie cutter quest storyline character development, with no true combat, catering to the young player, with no clue how to create an economy or spending time on itemization. This is why they are all choosing the BIG NAME IP's, as its a easy cash out...
Nothing short of big suits, sucking up dollars with no real care for the products... Technology will advance and this will change..

As for single player games.. SWTOR is a single player game.. lol...
So was Age of Conan, so is just about everything else.
Why its online is anyone's guess.. Until a game removes solo'ing ability from the MP games, they will suffer and the game communities will fail because it gives a reason to be a douche.. If you needed others, you'd think twice about how your acting in game.

34. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:53 Agent.X7

The MMO has been dead as a genre for years. I know, tell me how everyone and your mother plays WoW and that Guild Wars was bluesnews.com's special game...but you know WOW is only popular due to gamer peer pressure and GW is, well...an old folks game.

The genre is dead.

Just like PC gaming is dead, right?

You'd make a great weather forecaster. You're always wrong.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

33. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:47 Icewind

The genre is dead.

32. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:42 Closed Betas

I think we need some new laws in regards to F2P changes once a "published" game is sold under a retail state using a published ISBN or whatever technical term is used today.. I think this can be some sort of fraudulent effort. To take a failed production, people invest in, then change it to a F2P model.. So soon, which is obviously already being done, the game sells at lunch, then is given away free, a sucker punch to the unaware consumer. Should not at the very least, the persons still playing who paid be compensated with what is now free? The $60 software bill.

Summed up in a nutshell (i learned of this with EA's Need for Speed World Online) which IMO I think they knew they was giving it away free a month later, and just ripped off all their real fans making it $19.99 at launch.

Maybe a change like this should incorporate some kind of "you must take item off market for 6 months" before changing your business model..... That would be a deterrent and then many won't get hurt... But what will happen if you dont make laws, is the obvious, oh real members will get a token item in their mailbox signifying a "founder" item... Woopdeedoo

31. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:40 Creston

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:38:
Cabezone wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:26:
You think Bethesda is paying attention?

They'd be fools not to.

Bethesda isn't all that involved with Elder Scrolls Online. It's Zenimax pushing for it, and it's a completely different studio that's doing it. When ESO fails (and it will, spectacularly), it won't affect Bethesda too much, other than cheapening the Elder Scrolls name and brand.

Creston

30. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:38 ASeven

Confirmed, they hung up (or rather they took it offline) on GS. Wow. Fuck me.

http://www.twitch.tv/servot/b/326938076 46:20 in.

Wow. GS implying EA of financial fraud or, at the very least, number coloring on the report. This is going to end well.

Holy fuck. This is big for those of us working in the financial world.

29. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:38 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 17:50:
Hrm, what was it I said about a 300+ million dollar failure?

This doesn't mean it's automatically a failure. LotRO's revenue TRIPLED after it went free to play, as did D&D Online's (a game which you pimped here like fucking crazy! ;p)

It's not inconceivable that the same will happen for ToR. seeing as how I, for example, only want to play it for the storylines of the 8 characters (no idea if I can last that long), a F2P option is fine for me. The few things that I feel I'm missing, I'll buy.

Most importantly, to me, is that I can play a character, leave him for six months, then come back if I want to, without having to fork over 15 fucking bucks every month.

Creston

28. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:38 Silicon Avatar

Cabezone wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:26:

They'd be fools not to.

27. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:35 Creston

If they release it in early August, I'll probably pick it up for 15 bucks.

Creston

26. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:27 Dades

Yakubs wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:23:
Good riddance. Bioware is responsible for some of the most striking examples of decline in the RPG genre. Unfortunately, with them losing big money now, they'll make their next games even more idiot-proof and even less interesting until they go out of business.

I think this was mostly created by Bioware Austin, Bioware Edmonton is busy crapping on singleplayer RPG games. Hard to imagine how things got this far.

25. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:26 Cabezone

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

24. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:23 Yakubs

Good riddance. Bioware is responsible for some of the most striking examples of decline in the RPG genre. Unfortunately, with them losing big money now, they'll make their next games even more idiot-proof and even less interesting until they go out of business.  

23. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:22 DangerDog

Nelson wrote:
HA HA

22. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:21 ASeven

Ok now I regret not going to the conference.

Apparently an analyst from Goldman Sachs called in and called bullshit on the numbers EA produced. They don't add up according to GS and the EA CEO was not able to provide an answer. They ended up hanging up on GS.

That's... terrible. If this is true and regardless of what people think of GS (deservedly so), GS can destroy EA in a single day if they want by just giving market indications. Hanging up on GS after they denounce what could be financial fraud by EA.... oh hell, if this really happened EA is going to know what real pain is.

Holy fuck I can't believe EA would be that stupid so if anyone here was in the conference could you confirm if this happened or not?

21. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:18 Mashiki Amiketo

So....

Can we have KoTOR3 now?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

20. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 17:57 NegaDeath

Breaking news!

To be released in 2014 at no cost to subscribers.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: New Game Enhancement (NGE)

Edit: According to Kotaku TOR now has less than 1 Million subscribers. Maybe they DO need an NGE.

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo