Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor

This tweet from Sergey Galyonkin, marketing director at 1C Multimedia and this blog post have sparked rumors that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is in development at Bethesda Softworks after development of the first-person shooter sequel was frozen following trouble at developer GSC Game World. The Steam Forums (thanks PlayStation Universe) has a translation:

The following info is from a reliable source but isn't official, keep that in mind.

Sergey Grigorovich didn't sell the brand name "STALKER".

Bethesda is going to publish a STALKER game and has all the rights to it.

The game is multiplatform(consoles+PC) and is based on Bethesda technology.

It's being made by a studio familiar with that technology(possibly Obisidian or the Fallout 3 team from Bethesda, but no facts as of yet). It is almost 100% guaranteed that it's not a Ukrainian studio.

Bethesda will be able to buy the brand name from Grigorovich later, but for now all the misc. merchandise is his responsibility.

Release date, engine, detailes - TBA.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 14:54 ItBurn

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 14:44:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:57:
The interface is also a hellish nightmare, from hell.
Just like STALKER and The Witcher, which were both PC exclusive games. A bad interface is a bad interface and going multi-platform isn't the reason for that, it's just used as an excuse. That said, I found Skyrim's UI to be an improvement over Oblivion and most of the issues - like the levelling system - were obviously just bad design and not console related. It didn't get in the way of me enjoying the game.

The PC version was better because of mods and the editor, no doubt, but the port was less than stellar.
The graphics were better, the performance was excellent (especially after a few patches), it was much more customisable and it played well on mouse and keyboard. I honestly don't know what people are expecting but going multi-platform allows developers to increase the scale of the game. Without that we wouldn't have seen games like Skyrim and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, as their smaller budgets would have greatly limited what they could do (if they could even justify such a game as a PC exclusive).

But again, the STALKER franchise - as interesting and atmosphere as it is - was pretty shitty from an interface and performance perspective and it was a PC exclusive. People need to just accept that sometimes a game is a mess because it's a mess and not try to paint consoles as the enemy at every opportunity. I don't like consoles but I don't feel the need to blame them for every mistake or perceived issue with a game.

Well, we somewhat disagree. I think that STALKER's interface and controls were much better than Skyrim's. You must use the default controls for Skyrim. Try to change anything and you'll get a MAJOR headache. There are still things that I can't do properly today with my mapping. Also, switching powers/weapons is so painful that it taught me to keep the same things instead of switching.

Almost 100% of the time, going multiplatform dumbs down the game and robs it of some of it's most precious assets. Don't know about you, but as a long time PC gamer, the massive dumbing down of my games hasn't made me appreciate multi-platform. I can only imagine the games we'd have today if we wouldn't have had the console dark ages. I'll take bugs and low performance over dumbed down and simple ANY DAY.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 14:53 Verno

A bad interface is a bad interface and going multi-platform isn't the reason for that, it's just used as an excuse. That said, I found Skyrim's UI to be an improvement over Oblivion and most of the issues - like the levelling system - were obviously just bad design and not console related. It didn't get in the way of me enjoying the game.

A bad interface can also be (and often is) created by trying to accommodate two wildly different platforms. Consoles don't have to be the "bad guy" or something silly but quite often there are design concessions made for them that cause issues in the PC version. That's why people get upset about multi-platform releases with regard to previous PC franchises. In the case of Stalker specifically it had all sorts of technical and design problems, I'm not sure adding multi-platform to the mix is going to be helpful. It was a really punishing and complex title, I don't see it doing well with the console audience without being significantly watered down. They couldn't possibly accommodate the user interface requirements on the console without cutting functionality just as an example.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the successor to Skyrim measures up in this regard, Bethesda has given the PC version all sorts of post-release attention since its sales were supposedly quite good.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

33. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 14:44 theyarecomingforyou

The interface is also a hellish nightmare, from hell.
Just like STALKER and The Witcher, which were both PC exclusive games. A bad interface is a bad interface and going multi-platform isn't the reason for that, it's just used as an excuse. That said, I found Skyrim's UI to be an improvement over Oblivion and most of the issues - like the levelling system - were obviously just bad design and not console related. It didn't get in the way of me enjoying the game.

The PC version was better because of mods and the editor, no doubt, but the port was less than stellar.
The graphics were better, the performance was excellent (especially after a few patches), it was much more customisable and it played well on mouse and keyboard. I honestly don't know what people are expecting but going multi-platform allows developers to increase the scale of the game. Without that we wouldn't have seen games like Skyrim and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, as their smaller budgets would have greatly limited what they could do (if they could even justify such a game as a PC exclusive).

But again, the STALKER franchise - as interesting and atmosphere as it is - was pretty shitty from an interface and performance perspective and it was a PC exclusive. People need to just accept that sometimes a game is a mess because it's a mess and not try to paint consoles as the enemy at every opportunity. I don't like consoles but I don't feel the need to blame them for every mistake or perceived issue with a game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

32. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 14:04 Drayth

This is just going to be Fallout with guns!!!

...err, wait

31. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 14:03 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:55:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:44:
I just can't imagine a game made by them with darkness.

Unsure what you mean by "darkness," but they published Call of Cthulhu.

Dark corners was a bright game, despite the horror setting. Everything was illuminated enough, so that you could see it perfectly.

In STALKER, at night or underground, it's total darkness. Except for your flashlight.

30. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:57 ItBurn

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:54:
I have no problem with the game going multi-platform. Even Half-Life and Half-Life 2 appeared on consoles. As always, the issue is with the quality of the PC version itself. Skyrim was a great game and much better on PC than consoles, so I have no problem with Bethesda taking over the STALKER franchise.

Let's start with the good news:

Firstly, they'll be ditching the X-Ray engine, which was horribly inefficient and simply wasn't very good. In fact if you look at Call Of Pripyat they ended up ditching most of the graphical effects in Clear Sky because they destroyed performance. Even with my system Clear Sky runs like ass of maximum / very high settings and the game it four years old and my graphics cards are several generations ahead.

Secondly, the game will be made more accessible. The inventory system was unnecessarily convoluted, the bleeding and food systems never worked well, the difficulty was incredibly spiky (encouraging repeated quick-saving), the narrative was literally just massive paragraphs of text that were needlessly rambled on, the landscape was mostly barren with the occasional well designed area, etc.

There are potential issues - like whether they can nail the atmosphere which made the series so popular - but GSC Game World was poorly managed, had poor quality control and offered poor support for their games. Bethesda might fuck it up but it's not like GSC Game World hasn't already done that itself. Still, I'd have rather seen Ubisoft pick them up and implement STALKER using the Dunia (Far Cry 2 /3) engine. Now THAT would be awesome. And before people complain about Ubisoft's DRM you have to remember that STALKER's DRM was actually much worse (it used TAGES limited activations)!

The PC version was better because of mods and the editor, no doubt, but the port was less than stellar. The controls are terrible, to this day. The interface is also a hellish nightmare, from hell.

29. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:55 Beamer

ItBurn wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:44:
I just can't imagine a game made by them with darkness.

Unsure what you mean by "darkness," but they published Call of Cthulhu.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:54 theyarecomingforyou

I have no problem with the game going multi-platform. Even Half-Life and Half-Life 2 appeared on consoles. As always, the issue is with the quality of the PC version itself. Skyrim was a great game and much better on PC than consoles, so I have no problem with Bethesda taking over the STALKER franchise.

Let's start with the good news:

Firstly, they'll be ditching the X-Ray engine, which was horribly inefficient and simply wasn't very good. In fact if you look at Call Of Pripyat they ended up ditching most of the graphical effects in Clear Sky because they destroyed performance. Even with my system Clear Sky runs like ass of maximum / very high settings and the game it four years old and my graphics cards are several generations ahead.

Secondly, the game will be made more accessible. The inventory system was unnecessarily convoluted, the bleeding and food systems never worked well, the difficulty was incredibly spiky (encouraging repeated quick-saving), the narrative was literally just massive paragraphs of text that were needlessly rambled on, the landscape was mostly barren with the occasional well designed area, etc.

There are potential issues - like whether they can nail the atmosphere which made the series so popular - but GSC Game World was poorly managed, had poor quality control and offered poor support for their games. Bethesda might fuck it up but it's not like GSC Game World hasn't already done that itself. Still, I'd have rather seen Ubisoft pick them up and implement STALKER using the Dunia (Far Cry 2 /3) engine. Now THAT would be awesome. And before people complain about Ubisoft's DRM you have to remember that STALKER's DRM was actually much worse (it used TAGES limited activations)!

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:44 ItBurn

Darks wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:33:
ItBurn wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:31:
There's no way Bethesda can do a proper STALKER, but it could definitively be worse. I'm just glad we'd get another STALKER. The game was all about atmosphere and harshness. Bethesda's games are super easy and always fully bright. My favorite feature of STALKER was the complete darkness.

I don't belive Bethesda will be making this game, most likley they will be the publisher.

Right, the translation seems to say that. Regardless, Bethesda seems to heavily influence the games they publish. I just can't imagine a game made by them with darkness.

26. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:33 Darks

ItBurn wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:31:
There's no way Bethesda can do a proper STALKER, but it could definitively be worse. I'm just glad we'd get another STALKER. The game was all about atmosphere and harshness. Bethesda's games are super easy and always fully bright. My favorite feature of STALKER was the complete darkness.

I don't belive Bethesda will be making this game, most likley they will be the publisher.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

25. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:31 ItBurn

There's no way Bethesda can do a proper STALKER, but it could definitely be worse. I'm just glad we'd get another STALKER. The game was all about atmosphere and harshness. Bethesda's games are super easy and always fully bright. My favorite feature of STALKER was the complete darkness.  

24. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:26 Shineyguy

Prez wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:12:
I can think of far worse ways for the series to go (like the way of the dodo for one), so I am pretty happy with this if it turns out to be true. Fallout New Vegas is a brilliant game, though admittedly Bethesda doesn't have the track record with FPS's that they do with RPG's.

Given how crappy RAGE ran on PC, (Jesus that pop-in!!! Those blurry textures!!!! ARGH... my EYES!!!), I would rather Gamebryo be used given a choice between the two, though some heavy tweaking would be in order.

Too bad New Vegas wasn't developed by Bethesda huh? That was an Obsidian game, and oddly enough many of the original team members from Fallout 1 and 2 work at Obsidian currently.

23. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 13:12 Prez

I can think of far worse ways for the series to go (like the way of the dodo for one), so I am pretty happy with this if it turns out to be true. Fallout New Vegas is a brilliant game, though admittedly Bethesda doesn't have the track record with FPS's that they do with RPG's.

Given how crappy RAGE ran on PC, (Jesus that pop-in!!! Those blurry textures!!!! ARGH... my EYES!!!), I would rather Gamebryo be used given a choice between the two, though some heavy tweaking would be in order.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 12:57 Verno

peteham wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:58:
All I know is, if it's Gamebryo based, they're going to have to improve the "feel" of it tremendously for it to be playable as a pure FPS. At least if the Fallout games are any indication. Horrible, horrible shooter mechanics, but at least there, you had VATS.

Yeah, I love me some Bethesda exploration stuff but their combat systems leave a lot to be desired. They really need to bring in some new people to overhaul the combat. The controls are too floaty, enemies barely register hits and the physics modeling tends to lean toward the absurd.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

21. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 12:50 Raptor

"Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2"
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

20. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 12:49 pagb

...based on Bethesda technology.

DUMP THE DAMN GAMEBRYO ALREADY!

19. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 12:44 peteham

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:58:
I don't mind multiplatform, but more Gamebryo shit? Damn.
Maybe we'll get another RAGE engine game?

All I know is, if it's Gamebryo based, they're going to have to improve the "feel" of it tremendously for it to be playable as a pure FPS. At least if the Fallout games are any indication. Horrible, horrible shooter mechanics, but at least there, you had VATS.

18. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 12:38 PHJF

It was like a post-apocalyptic Lord of the Rings except with less whining and homoerotic overtones.

There are no women in the zone

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 12:32 Burrito of Peace

Awwww yeah! I can not wait to Fus Ro Dah the shit out of a Zone anomaly! Clearly Bethesda is better at making these types of games. The last Stalker (sorry, S.T.A.L.K.E.R..........!...%...) game I played, all you did was walk a lot, randomly shoot dogs or people, do a lot more walking, come across some cheesy Zone related dialogue that was written by Miss Sped's class and then go back to walking. It was like a post-apocalyptic Lord of the Rings except with less whining and homoerotic overtones.  

16. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 12:21 Silicon Avatar

It seems weird for Bethesda to publish another post-apocalyptic franchise. I'm sort of surprised they would do that.

I guess getting eaten up by Bethesda is better than being eaten up by EA. At least Bethesda is mod friendly - and when they buy properties they generally use them. EA buys stuff just to bury it.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo