Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2012, 19:44 Sepharo

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 12:56:
One part of it says that companies who weren't hip enough (whatever) could not hire the "most sought-after recent graduates". Huh?

That's how my company is with hiring developers. Who wants to work for the company that (used to until last year) make programmers wear ties when Quicken is just down the street hiring thousands and throwing Google-esque perks and lavish parties at them. I'm not exaggerating when I say our medium size company lost 30+ devs within a year and a half to Quicken (and a few others) and it wasn't about pay at all.

We are dying to get some new college grads but when the job market is so hot for developers we're stuck with bottom of the barrel contractors.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2012, 18:45 HorrorScope

Yeah that was like "we no longer need IT people". Must be written buy someone who sells cloud solutions.

I can find a reason to get rid of the janitor all the way to the CEO.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2012, 17:41 Mashiki Amiketo

Veterator wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 17:38:
I wait for the day when Amazon or some other big storage/computing site has a catastrophic failure and all that business data is just gone, and all those companies who became completely reliant on it are now completely fucked overnight by something they can do absolutely nothing about. But they saved 10 grand a year for the past 5-10 years and it only put them out of business overnight!
Done: Amazon outage raises serious questions basically discusses the problems with cloud storage and all that jazz. There was another thread on /. too, where a whole pile of companies got left with their asses hanging in the air.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2012, 17:38 Veterator

Reading that article, it sounds like they generally want to hire people who can find things for them to use rather than develop or maintain things for them.

Web development, they used their mom making her own website as an example. If your mom's personal website makes her an expert at your company website, you probably aren't getting too many visitors to your website or using it for any meaningful purpose.

Then they mention people finding apps to use.......valid, but what if your company can't find something? Or what if what you need is crazy expensive and still doesn't do exactly what you need?

Unix platforms replaced by Linux.....those old mainframes are reliable. Like crazy crazy reliable, if you don't need that much reliability, sure you can switch to something lesser. But if you do, you're probably going to have a very costly problem in the future and have to undo all those new "cost saving" measures to correct it.

People just throw out history every couple years apparently. "The Cloud" is just reverting back to relying on another company to keep yours running. Which again is fine, until it stops working and then is crazy expensive/difficult to recover from if you can recover at all.

I wait for the day when Amazon or some other big storage/computing site has a catastrophic failure and all that business data is just gone, and all those companies who became completely reliant on it are now completely fucked overnight by something they can do absolutely nothing about. But they saved 10 grand a year for the past 5-10 years and it only put them out of business overnight!

I'm sure their customers, investors, and creditors will totally understand when they explained how they put the important bits of their operation in another companies hands because it was just easier and some article explained how they'd save money on it.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2012, 15:21 avianflu

the 'cloud' comment in the article is clueless. If only the cloud was the IT answer to everything for everyone.  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2012, 12:56 Silicon Avatar

What a crap article.

The whole thing sounds like it was written by some manager who had never touched a computer other than to type out a new resume.

One part of it says that companies who weren't hip enough (whatever) could not hire the "most sought-after recent graduates". Huh? You mean like the recent grads who can't find jobs because people with more experience take them?

Who the hell goes down the interview list and says "Boy I sure would like to have a bunch of college newbs working in IT."?

Fortran and Cobol going away? Hah.

Everything on the "cloud"? HAH!

Plugging devices into machines willy-nilly without letting them get vetted by IT to check for security and usability problems? HAHAHA.

Whoever wrote this article is living in fantasy land. Sadly this is exactly the kind of article that jack-off managers read and use to convince their "superiors" that IT needs less money or people.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2012, 11:30 Mashiki Amiketo

Computerworld article is terrible. Though the two worst offenders in there were the cloud and fortran/cobol sections. Fortran/cobol? Yeah there guys, that's why they're looking for 8-15k new FT/CB programers a year...legacy is still running the world, nearly 40 years later.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo