Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Have a vet appointment for the dogs this week to see what's up with the bloody stool I found. Obviously I am concerned about this, so I want to thank the couple of you who shared stories of similar problems that turned out to be fairly routine, for providing reason for hope that this isn't as serious as it seems.

Serious Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Blocks.
Stories: Brazil Olympian breaks bronze medal in the shower. Thanks brother19.
Researchers find pop music is too loud and all sounds the same. Thanks WalterEgo.
TV News- Arrested, TCA's, Louie, Batman.
Media: Inside A Burning Building - Atlanta Firefighter Helmet Cam.
Glass Door Fail Compilation.
New York City 2012 Olympics Promo.
Auction: The Legend of Zelda NES Nintendo Prototype. Thanks Slashdot.
Follow-up: The Hobbit officially becomes a trilogy. Thanks nin.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2012, 08:30 nin

When was it two movies?

For the last few years?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2012, 00:15 Mordecai Walfish

I'm willing to bet that Zelda cartridge for auction is a scam.

Just read the description for the item it even lists features from the newest zelda (horseback riding and combat) that was an obvious copy/paste.

The question is brought up in the comments of the auction but I really don't think this is legit.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 21:27 Sepharo

Having some rare Steam issues right now.

CS wouldn't launch.
Steam wouldn't shutdown.
Now it won't start.

FFFFFFFFFFF

edit: There we go... Got an update too, made me sign new privacy policies. And also a 50% off coupon for the "semi-sequel" to AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 19:53 Ruffiana

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:16:
Turning "The Hobbit" into a trilogy is silly at best.

When was it two movies? Now it's a trilogy?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 18:17 xXBatmanXx

I had mentioned during the Steam Summer Sale that they didn't give a Meta Badge to me that should have clicked. They responded by saying tough shit - even though you can see I have activity during that time.
Steam Support is unable to grant badges to your account. Steam Badges are automatically granted when all the requirements have been fulfilled. If a badge has not been granted, then the requirements have not been completed.

hmmm. I voted everyday. I know that for sure. oh well.

(Currently can't even get to Account Details via web or Steam....awesome)

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2012, 18:28.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 18:04 NegaDeath

And Jackson will still find a way to cram in 7000 hours of bonus footage and behind the scenes stuff on the Blu-Ray release.

Edit: And I'll still end up watching it.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2012, 18:11.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 17:44 Mashiki Amiketo

kanniballl wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 14:59:

But 3 films? Really?

The book is great, but it isn't THAT long.

-
They could have made LoTR, 6 movies long for all the material they cut from the books. I was sorely disappointed that there was no Tom Bombadil.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 16:25 nin

Here it is. And I vote "cry".

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 16:22 Rhino

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 16:16:
They were so optimistic of success

Indeed. One of the doctors went so far as to get a tattoo on his arm to celebrate...

Some day he'll look back on that decision and laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Not any time soon, I'd wager; but some day. Or maybe cry.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 16:16 nin

They were so optimistic of success

Indeed. One of the doctors went so far as to get a tattoo on his arm to celebrate...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 16:08 Rhino

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 15:42:
Ouch...curious about "the first 50 levels"...wonder if that means an expansion is due? Surely they're not throwing more money at it...

It could mean that. They were so optimistic of success that it would surprise me if they hadn't already been working on an expansion all along. That or they are just covering their bases in the event that the free-to-play model does well and they release new content: in this sense they can always say that they only ever promised the first 50 levels, so beyond that will be reserved for subscribers/micro-transactions.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 16:04 SimplyMonk

Rhino wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 15:35:
I honestly didn't think that they would do this so quickly after launch, assuming that they would be more stubborn.

I'm glad they at least had some sense to make this move before the game completely died.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 15:46 nin

Cutter wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 15:43:
Did you hear about the rabbi who jumped into the river to save a drowning dog? He vas all vet!

Did you hear about the dyslexic insomniac? He sat up all night wondering if there really is a dog.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 15:43 Cutter

Did you hear about the rabbi who jumped into the river to save a drowning dog? He vas all vet!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 15:42 nin

Ouch...curious about "the first 50 levels"...wonder if that means an expansion is due? Surely they're not throwing more money at it...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 15:35 Rhino

I honestly didn't think that they would do this so quickly after launch, assuming that they would be more stubborn.

SWTOR Free To Play

EA Expands Award-Winning MMO Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ with Free-to-Play Option This Fall

"Starting this fall, there will be two different ways to play Star Wars: The Old Republic:

Subscription – A service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription or by redeeming a Game Time Card. In addition to gaining access to all game content as our current subscribers do now, subscribers will receive ongoing monthly grants of Cartel Coins, the new virtual currency that will be introduced later this fall. Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable in-game items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.

Free-To-Play – The first 50 levels will be Free-to-Play, with restrictions on access to new content and advanced player features. Some restrictions can be “unlocked” with Cartel Coins.

As the first step towards adding the new Free-to-Play option this fall, Star Wars: The Old Republic will go on sale in August for $14.99 USD, including one-month of free subscription."

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 15:21 Agent.X7

kanniballl wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 14:53:
Bodolza wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 12:53:

They're pulling from the Appendices and Silmarillion as well. There's plenty of material there. Some of those stories could be movies in themselves.

Like Agent, I also heard that they were NOT pulling from there. But I may be mistaken. I also heard a rumor that they're going to add some new scenes so that Liv Tyler's Arwen appears (and some other characters).

So... even though the Hobbit is a good book and probably one of the first long books you read as a child...

Splitting it into 3 movies is a bit much unless they're adding a whole lot of content. Like a 30-minute flashback showing the dragon take over the mountain. Or each movie starts with a 30-minute bit taking place at the end of the trilogy with Bilbo narrating the events (or someone reading his journal).

-

It's not just the events that take place in the book The Hobbit. Remember, Gandalf leaves the party part-way through the book. His tale is being told, based on what Tolkien recounted of his journey in the LotR appendixes. There's also stories about Aragorn and the elves, among other things. It all leads up to the Fellowship of the Ring.

And yes, the first movie is being recounted to Frodo by Bilbo, =during the time between the first LotR movie and the Battle of Three Armies.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 14:59 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 13:34:
SimplyMonk wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 12:19:
I rarely, if ever, here the argument where people asked for more to be cut out from a source material in order to make the movie shorter.
Yes, I would agree with you on that. However, I have seen certainly many dozens, possibly 100s of lengthened versions of various films. "Director's Cuts", "Unrated" versions, "Extended" versions -- and I'd have to say the overall effect is that I have great respect for the art of film editing. It is extremely rare for these longer versions to be better. Much more often, they are worse -- sometimes much worse.

Well, define source material.

True, I can't think of any novel->film adaptations where I wished they cut something out. Then again I rarely see a great novel adaptation that stands out in memory.

But there HAVE been movies where I wish they hadn't added as much and thus removed bits entirely.
  • Spider-man 3 - Too many villains, seemed to drag on. I could have done without as much Osborn
  • Dark Knight - Seemed a bit long, while I liked TwoFace the movie could have done without him
  • etc

• Honestly, Jackson could do a very loyal film in his 2.5hour format or whatever... and could DEFINITELY do a loyal treatment in 2 x 2.5hour fims .

But 3 films? Really?

The book is great, but it isn't THAT long.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 14:53 kanniballl

They're pulling from the Appendices and Silmarillion as well. There's plenty of material there. Some of those stories could be movies in themselves.

Like Agent, I also heard that they were NOT pulling from there. But I may be mistaken. I also heard a rumor that they're going to add some new scenes so that Liv Tyler's Arwen appears (and some other characters).

So... even though the Hobbit is a good book and probably one of the first long books you read as a child...

Splitting it into 3 movies is a bit much unless they're adding a whole lot of content. Like a 30-minute flashback showing the dragon take over the mountain. Or each movie starts with a 30-minute bit taking place at the end of the trilogy with Bilbo narrating the events (or someone reading his journal).

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 14:22 Agent.X7

They are not pulling from the Silmarillion. Christopher Tolikien owns the rights to that, and he has no desire to sell them. All the material is coming from The Hobbit and the LotR appendixes.

http://tinyurl.com/cqkekba

Frankly, I think the more of Peter Jackson's vision of Middle Earth I can watch, the happier I will be.

Origin - JStarX7
    STEAM - Agent.X7
    PSN - JStar_X7
    Xbox Live - Agent X7

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo