Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2

Robot Entertainment announces that Orcs Must Die! 2 is now available on Steam, offering their sequel to last year's AIAS Strategy Game of the Year. Word is: "Orcs Must Die! 2 thrusts players and their friends back into battle against a terrifying mob of orcs and other monsters. With a redesigned spellbook, players will have a broader range of options to build a deadly arsenal of defenses. Investing hard-earned skulls in an enormous new upgrade system will allow players to cater to their favorite methods of burning, grinding, tossing, or dismembering orcs." A playable demo was released last week, and here's more, including a feature list:

Orcs Must Die! 2 begins days after the ending of the original game. With the rifts closed and the magical Order dead, the War Mage finds himself suddenly thrust into a new battle against the mindless orc mob. He has a powerful, if questionable, new companion in the Sorceress, an ex-War Mage responsible for the destruction of the Order.
Orcs Must Die! 2 Features:

• Co-Op! - Play as the War Mage, the headstrong hero who charges into danger, or play as the more strategic Sorceress who keeps the mob at bay with mind-control and magic.
  • Story-based Campaign – Pick up where the original game left off with a brand new story-based campaign that you can play in Single-Player or Co-Op!
  • Endless Mode - Play alone or join a friend to put your skills to the test against endless waves of increasingly difficult enemies.
  • Classic Mode - Steam players who own the original Orcs Must Die! will automatically unlock co-op versions of 10 fan-favorite levels from the original game featuring new enemies!
  • Over 20 Deadly Enemies - Face an army of vile new creatures like Earth Elementals, Trolls, and Bile Bats. And they’ve brought all of your favorite trap-fodder from the original Orcs Must Die! along with them!
  • More than 50 Traps, Weapons, and Guardians – Choose from an enormous armory of new and classic defenses, including an all new assortment of magical trinkets.
  • Massive Upgrade System – With more than 225 persistent trap and weapon upgrades to unlock, you can build an arsenal perfectly suited to your slaying style.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Aug 4, 2012, 15:37 Beamer

A few hours into this I love it (and I'm ranked #250 on a map!)

Difficulty is fine solo. The mousewheel, though, isn't working for me at all.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 15:43 Beamer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 15:40:
Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:06:
I find it so counter-intuitive that mousewheeldown is next weapon, but that's the standard...

It's the only way that makes sense to me. To go to the next whatever is mousewheel down, like going to the next page in a document. Previous is up. Makes perfect sense to me, and games that reverse it drive me nuts. Go figure

I suppose it's always a hierarchy to me.

-------------

24. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 15:40 Wowbagger_TIP

I find it so counter-intuitive that mousewheeldown is next weapon, but that's the standard...

It's the only way that makes sense to me. To go to the next whatever is mousewheel down, like going to the next page in a document. Previous is up. Makes perfect sense to me, and games that reverse it drive me nuts. Go figure

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 14:31 reisub

It's always baffled me. How could it make sense to anyone?

How does the co-op compare to Dungeon Defenders? I guess it doesn't have the loot drops etc that made that game but does it add anything to the OMD formula (which, I have to admit, I've never finished)?

22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 13:46 Beamer

I keep saying I'll stop playing OMD, but I've 5 starred about a third of Nightmare. I was convinced I wouldn't even bother with Nightmare, but the rules are changed enough for me to find it fun. Though I need to keep pointing out how much I hate the Z enemies, because I really do hate them.

The only thing I dislike about the game is letting one enemy in after 9 minutes in a level. Yeah, I know, it doesn't sound like much, but having to restart from scratch often sounds less appealing than finding something else to do. The tower defense game I've been playing on my phone of late (the infuriatingly tough Radiant Defense) let's you retry individual rounds. Of course, the mechanics of that game are different in that an improper setup makes some rounds impossible and necessitates a start from the beginning, and levels can take upwards of an hour, but it's still a nice feature that OMD perhaps should have had on Warmage difficulty (I get why it wasn't needed on the shorter, more chaotic, more difficult Nightmare levels.)

-------------

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 12:28 SykesN.

Ok, I take it back, just got to the "Crunch" map and it sucks on solo.. Way to much going on for one person.  

20. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 10:06 Beamer

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 08:48:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 02:10:
I really question the sanity of this developer after finding myself not even able to remap the keys without using third party software in the first game. Uh der der...PC Gaming 101 fail.

But is the minimap big enough for you? That's what we're dying to know...

Yeah, but not being able to remap keys was frustrating. I'm an esdf guy, and had to switch to wasd (which I think I need to do for DayZ, anyway), and though I used the number keys more, not being able to turn mousewheelup to next weapon also messes with me (I find it so counter-intuitive that mousewheeldown is next weapon, but that's the standard...)

-------------

19. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 08:59 Verno

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 08:48:

I know you were being petty about some unrelated crap but the minimap in OMD2 is actually quite an improvement on the first game.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

18. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 08:48 nin

I really question the sanity of this developer after finding myself not even able to remap the keys without using third party software in the first game. Uh der der...PC Gaming 101 fail.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 08:37 Verno

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 07:35:
I pre-ordered this, played about 4 to 5 hours so far. I'm enjoying it, although I think they may have really messed up the Barricade mechanics.

Yeah my buddy was complaining about that last night, I don't like to maze because sappers just ruin it anyway so I never noticed it myself. I like the blunderbuss but I do miss the ability to headshot, the dwarven hammer is really good (the whirlwind is awesome) if you're decent at dodging in and out of melee range.

For those commenting on the balance/difficulty, I've found it pretty solid so far. The difference between this and the original is that this ramps up quite a bit sooner. You get armored orcs very early on and they mix up the waves a lot more. Warmage difficulty is refreshingly hard to 5 skull without all of the trap unlocks. Some of the traps were rebalanced so don't expect to just lay down tar/swinging mace and own the day like in OMD1. Brimstone is still awesome though

Only made it to wave 10 on the first endless mode map but I only had like 3-4 traps unlocked so I'm looking forward to revisiting that. I think the Endless mode maps more than anything else are balanced with co-op in mind.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

16. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 07:35 MoreLuckThanSkill

I pre-ordered this, played about 4 to 5 hours so far. I'm enjoying it, although I think they may have really messed up the Barricade mechanics.

It seems like not only do the suicide bomber rat guys blow them up, as they should, but orcs will randomly attack barricades even when their path is not blocked? I have discovered orcs sometimes standing at a barricade, whacking away at it. May just be a bug, as orcs are getting knocked all over the place by traps, dwarven grenadiers and blunderbuss grenades.

Also, the blunderbuss is pure spammy bullshit, I gave it about 5-6 levels of play, and now I want my headshot prone crossbow back. Unfortunately it's going to cost about 20+ skulls to get the crossbow back to OMD1 status.

Still, the game is great fun, and Robot Entertainment's art and sound guys are ridiculously skilled.

15. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 07:10 Dades

They dropped the XBLA version this time in favor of a PC only release so you can rebind keys, there is voice chat, full steamworks support, push to talk and all of the usual options people expect in a PC game.

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 06:51 jacobvandy

Hyatus wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 03:33:
This press release needs a *spoiler alert* for those people who haven't finished the first game(especially if you just got it on sale).

Really? You're worried about the story in this game?

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 06:48 SpectralMeat

Tumbler wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 00:32:
I still feel burned out by the first game...is there a cheat that gives you lots of money to spend? Always felt frustrated that I couldn't just build this crazy dungeon to try and toy with the orcs. Too busy fighting to have fun watching all the traps go off.
That means you did not build a good enough defense system. You should not have to fight so much but let your traps do the work. You will not be able to just sit back and enjoy the show but still you should not have to fight so much. Try a different trap combo. It is a trial and error game. In the second one you can reset your skulls so they made it a lot easier imo. Your purchase decisions/mistakes can be reversed.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 03:33 Hyatus

This press release needs a *spoiler alert* for those people who haven't finished the first game(especially if you just got it on sale).  

11. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 02:20 Dev

You can remap in OMD 2.

I found someone to play co-op for a bit, it was fun. You each get your own individual spending pools, and you can each see what the other chooses in the spellbook so you can avoid duplicates and specialize more than you could playing by yourself. A lot more things to spend skulls on, including passive boost trinkets. Game defaults to open mic, make sure to go into options and set it to PUSH TO TALK.

I like being able to reset skull spending

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2012, 02:41.

10. So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 02:10 JohnBirshire

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 00:54 SykesN.

I've got a couple hours in solo and it's been manageable so far in terms of difficulty.  

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 00:32 Tumbler

I still feel burned out by the first game...is there a cheat that gives you lots of money to spend? Always felt frustrated that I couldn't just build this crazy dungeon to try and toy with the orcs. Too busy fighting to have fun watching all the traps go off.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2 Jul 31, 2012, 00:08 Wowbagger_TIP

I played through the first one and it was fun. Didn't go for all skulls because that got far too tedious, but OMD2 looks like there's more variation with the different upgrades you can get.

I still can't get sound to work in the demo. Tried deleting and redownloading it, but it still doesn't work. Thinking of trying the disreputable version to see if I can at least play the game if I buy it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo