Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Uplay Patched

The security flaw siacovered today in Uplay has been patched by Ubisoft, reports GamesIndustry International, though the Uplay Website remains mum on the whole topic. "We have made a forced patch to correct the flaw in the browser plug-in for the uPlay PC application that was brought to our attention earlier today," reads an official statement from the company. "We recommend that all uPlay users update their uPlay PC application without a Web browser open. This will allow the plug-in to update correctly. An updated version of the uPlay PC installer with the patch also is available from uPlay.com."

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 20:08 Sepharo

So I finally got around to disabling the Uplay extension in Chrome and as soon as I clicked disable Uplay launched on it's own and updated... wtf. I'm damn near positive it wasn't running before that.

Also, maybe this has already been addressed but... how the hell can Ubisoft install extensions into my browser without informing me or asking?

Shoulda never bought AC: Revelations but I really wanted to finally try out an AC game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 11:01 Prez

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:58:
Prez wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:56:
Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:53:
Prez wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 00:45:
The conventional wisdom that most PC gamers are oblivious to drm is one I do not buy into;

I'm afraid Diablo 3 has proven you (sadly) wrong, my friend...

Creston

Indifferent to and unaware of aren't the same thing I think. Most people rationalized the drm because it was Diablo. Considering how things turned out, that may not happen on such a large scale for Blizzard again.

Yeah, it will. They'll pull the same shit with the next Starcraft...
Creston

Shit I hope not. The first Starcraft 2 campaign had an offline mode (you just needed to create an offline profile). Seeing as how there is no real money scam shop in SC2 (yet), they would have a really hard time selling the same garbage this time around I think.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:58 Creston

Prez wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:56:
The conventional wisdom that most PC gamers are oblivious to drm is one I do not buy into;

Creston

Indifferent to and unaware of aren't the same thing I think. Most people rationalized the drm because it was Diablo. Considering how things turned out, that may not happen on such a large scale for Blizzard again.

Yeah, it will. They'll pull the same shit with the next Starcraft, and the monkeys will gobble it up like hotcakes. Everyone's already in the state of "Well, it really wasn't all THAT bad. So what that you couldn't really play for the first week? It works fine NOW!"

Monkeys will be monkeys.

Creston

31. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:56 Prez

Creston

Indifferent to and unaware of aren't the same thing I think. Most people rationalized the drm because it was Diablo. Considering how things turned out, that may not happen on such a large scale for Blizzard again. I bet quite a few people have had a change of heart about such things now.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:53 Creston

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:37:
But as to lost sales... you're right it's not arguable because there is a key piece of data we'll never have: What sales would have been if there was no DRM.

Unfortunately, Ubisoft DOES have that data. They released a Prince of Persia game without DRM, with the attitude of "alright, you keep saying that if we don't do DRM, sales will skyrocket. Let's see."

It sold like shit. Now, the main reason it likely sold like shit was because it was a pretty poor game, and Ubisoft probably knew this going on, so the whole thing was a setup from the get-go, but it DOES give them legitimate data they can point to, and go "See? When we do no DRM, it doesn't sell and everyone just pirates it."

Since the people on the other side of the argument have NO data to fall back on, Ubisoft wins by default, basically.

Creston

29. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:53 Prez

Fair enough NKD. You are right about the lack of numbers, but conclusions can be drawn from the data that is available, albeit speculative ones.

I will wait until the game I want is heavily discounted before buying it, and then I will play the superior pirated version. I may not count as a lost sale myslef because of this, but Assassin's Creed is a series I enjoy enough to otherwise buy at or near full price so there is lost revenue there. Judging from many others say I am not alone, and that's not even counting those who have just written Ubisft off completely over this. I don't like rewarding bad behavior any more than I have to - if I didn't have a conscience that made me pay at least something for the considerable work that goes into these games, I would just outright steal them. I am hoping Ubisoft eventually wisest up and , at the very least, starts removimg their always-online crap from their older titles. Regardless of how you feel about uplay, it is inexcusable that games as old as Assassin's Creed 2, Silent Hunter 5, and Settlers are still saddled with this crap.

- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:50 Creston

Iurand wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 06:38:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 04:09:
According to Pachter Ubisofts PC sales plummeted since introduction of UbiPlay. Sadly we dont have numbers to support this rumor.

Damn.
If Pachter said that, we can be sure this DRM works and PC sales skyrocketed.

Not neccesarily. Pachter makes shit up on the spot, but occasionally he guesses something correctly. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Creston

27. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:47 nin

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:45:
We recommend that all uPlay users update their uPlay PC application without a Web browser open. This will allow the plug-in to update correctly.

I recommend that everyone who has these fucking plugins installed quickly UNINSTALLS them from their browsers. They serve zero purpose, and as shown, Ubisoft hasn't the faintest fucking idea about what the word "security" actually means.

Creston

While I've not tried it, someone claimed elsewhere that uninstalling them causes ufuck to fail, and then you can't play (until you repair it).

Disabling them, however...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:47 HorrorScope

Ceribaen wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 03:12:
If anything, UBI probably is suffering from what I call the 'Metallica' effect.

People are intentionally pirating their stuff BECAUSE of uplay and always on and the like.

Metallica has a only on policy?

25. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:45 Creston

We recommend that all uPlay users update their uPlay PC application without a Web browser open. This will allow the plug-in to update correctly.

I recommend that everyone who has these fucking plugins installed quickly UNINSTALLS them from their browsers. They serve zero purpose, and as shown, Ubisoft hasn't the faintest fucking idea about what the word "security" actually means.

Edit :
uPlay 1.xx asked permission to install the browser plugins, but the recently released 2.0 silently installs it and actually requires it or the launcher refuses to function.

Oh, that's just fucking fantastic... Good job, ubisoft. You've now gone to the #1 spot on the "Worthless fucking publishers" list. You've finally managed to beat EA! Not even Origin is this fucking retarded.

Creston

24. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:37 NKD

Prez wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 09:59:
I'm not sure why you find it hard to believe that people buy games in spite of DRM.

You seem intent on poking holes in arguments I am not making. I said I don't accept that the majority of people who game on PC are oblivious to drm, which is something I keep hearing. By now if you are a PC gamer I think at least you are aware of what drm is. I never said I was surprised that people still buy games with drm; in truth I have no idea where you even got that from what I said. My contention is that drm causes lost sales (which frankly I don't even see as being arguable) and those are not made up by reduced piracy if you look at the piracy numbers which are actually higher for uplay games than they were for Ubisoft games before uplay existed.

Sorry my bad, I assumed you thought gamers made purchasing decisions based on DRM, not just that they were aware of what it was.

But as to lost sales... you're right it's not arguable because there is a key piece of data we'll never have: What sales would have been if there was no DRM. Without that data, there is no way to even come close to an objective and reasonable accurate idea on the sales impact of DRM. Plus we don't have ANY numbers for Steam, which no doubt makes up a large percentage of the PC sales.

As to piracy numbers, they are pretty sketchy too. But generally higher selling games are also pirated more.

So really there is no factual data which we can look at and objectively say Ubisoft's DRM isn't worth the trouble. It probably isn't, but I couldn't prove that or even support it with anything but the thinnest of anecdotal evidence.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 10:17 deqer

Prez wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 09:59:
By now if you are a PC gamer I think at least you are aware of what drm is.
Unfortunately the new generation of kiddies/gamers will accept DRM as "normal" and won't question it. I wish parents would train them, but I don't think that's happening at all.

22. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 09:59 Prez

I'm not sure why you find it hard to believe that people buy games in spite of DRM.

You seem intent on poking holes in arguments I am not making. I said I don't accept that the majority of people who game on PC are oblivious to drm, which is something I keep hearing. By now if you are a PC gamer I think at least you are aware of what drm is. I never said I was surprised that people still buy games with drm; in truth I have no idea where you even got that from what I said. My contention is that drm causes lost sales (which frankly I don't even see as being arguable) and those are not made up by reduced piracy if you look at the piracy numbers which are actually higher for uplay games than they were for Ubisoft games before uplay existed.

- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 09:30 NKD

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 00:12:
Prez wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 23:56:
They cling to this bullshit DRM like it's their lifeblood. Are they really too stupid to realize that this garbage only serves to screw paying customers and limit their sales? Or is it just them being too mule-headed stubborn to admit that their precious DRM is an utter failure in every way?

Given that a large percentage of their sales are on console where no one even knows what DRM means... I don't think they really care.

I don't care about consoles - I was talking PC sales. If they are going to do PC releases, even if total PC sales are only a small fraction of XBOX or PS3 sales, I still assume that they would want the most PC sales possible. The conventional wisdom that most PC gamers are oblivious to drm is one I do not buy into; I just don't see how it's possible that this uplay garbage is NOT hurting sales.

I'm not sure why you find it hard to believe that people buy games in spite of DRM. People talk all kinds of shit about everything from DRM to bad console ports to unimaginative shooters, but people still buy them up like crazy.

At the end of the day, PC gamers, and most gamers in general, will do what is most fun. After all, that's the point of a game. Intentionally not playing a game they feel they will otherwise enjoy just because of DRM is a hard sell, and understandably so.

They don't care. They firmly, genuinely believe that the vast majority of their lost sales aren't because of their policies, it is because of piracy. They don't have any doubt that it is so.

Their games are still heavily pirated even with their uplay bullshit. There's simply no way they can't know this, unless they are stupid. Meaning they knowingly keep an ineffective, broken system in place that hurts paying customers only, in turn giving people more incentive to pirate. Which would also seem to indicate that they are stupid as far as I am concerned. The other option, that they are aware of all this and are just being mule-headed, is slightly less damning I guess, but not much.

From Ubisoft's perspective, their DRM is working wonders. For example, the best functionality of Anno 2070, the ability to customize your ark and load stuff into it to use in another game, is not available in the pirated version because it is server-side and wasn't emulated in the crack. (At least not last I checked.) There was some online thing in AC:B too if I recall that did not surface in the pirated version.

It may not be much, but its enough to justify it in their minds. We'll see more of this as time goes on. Features hidden server-side. Even the big name titles that do get some kind of third party server hack won't have it for a couple months, by which point Ubi has made all their important first-run sales and they cease to care.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

20. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 09:26 wtf_man

Ceribaen wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 03:12:

People are intentionally pirating their stuff BECAUSE of uplay and always on and the like.

I haven't bought an Ubi game since they started the Draconian DRM after they released the DRM-Free version of Prince of Persia.

I also haven't obtained a full version cracked game in many years.

I'm on the fence about Watch Dogs. I don't want to steal their game, yet at the same time I don't want to support their DRM. At best, I will buy the game at bargain bin prices if a crack is available... at worst... well... we'll see.

19. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 06:38 Iurand

Kajetan wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 04:09:
According to Pachter Ubisofts PC sales plummeted since introduction of UbiPlay. Sadly we dont have numbers to support this rumor.

Damn.
If Pachter said that, we can be sure this DRM works and PC sales skyrocketed.

18. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 04:09 Kajetan

I just don't see how it's possible that this uplay garbage is NOT hurting sales.

17. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 03:12 Ceribaen

Unfortunately I had a weak moment during a steam sale and grabbed Anno 2070... haven't installed it yet though because I read after the fact it was a uplay as well as TAGES (I've installed TAGES prior for DKS, so not really a holdup there anymore). But apparently Steam doesn't list the uplay requirements on store pages.

16. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 00:45 Prez

NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 00:12:
Prez wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 23:56:
They cling to this bullshit DRM like it's their lifeblood. Are they really too stupid to realize that this garbage only serves to screw paying customers and limit their sales? Or is it just them being too mule-headed stubborn to admit that their precious DRM is an utter failure in every way?

Given that a large percentage of their sales are on console where no one even knows what DRM means... I don't think they really care.

I don't care about consoles - I was talking PC sales. If they are going to do PC releases, even if total PC sales are only a small fraction of XBOX or PS3 sales, I still assume that they would want the most PC sales possible. The conventional wisdom that most PC gamers are oblivious to drm is one I do not buy into; I just don't see how it's possible that this uplay garbage is NOT hurting sales.

They don't care. They firmly, genuinely believe that the vast majority of their lost sales aren't because of their policies, it is because of piracy. They don't have any doubt that it is so.

Their games are still heavily pirated even with their uplay bullshit. There's simply no way they can't know this, unless they are stupid. Meaning they knowingly keep an ineffective, broken system in place that hurts paying customers only, in turn giving people more incentive to pirate. Which would also seem to indicate that they are stupid as far as I am concerned. The other option, that they are aware of all this and are just being mule-headed, is slightly less damning I guess, but not much.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2012, 00:58.

- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Uplay Patched Jul 31, 2012, 00:37 Blackhawk

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo