Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Thanks to the DayZ Mod, three year-old shooter Arma II continues to dominate the weekly list of bestselling games on  Steam:

1. Arma II
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. Left 4 Dead 2
  4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  5. Orcs Must Die! 2
  6. Borderlands Game of the Year Edition
  7. Civilization V: Gods & Kings
  8. BioShock Collection
  9. Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition
  10. Batman: Arkham City

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 2, 2012, 03:30 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:13:
Also, of course it sold faster than HL2 on Steam - how many people had Steam and bought through Steam back then? HL2 was predominantly sold via B&M.
I'm not sure thats true, steam had been out a while at that point. I bought it online.

But regardless, it doesn't matter... if skyrim is selling faster than all other games on steam, it doesn't need to be compared to one particular older game such as hl2. Compare it to more modern games, MW2, MW3, portal 2, L4D2, etc. Any popular game on steam. Fastest, means its faster than any of those others.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 31, 2012, 12:42 Jerykk

The more compelling evidence, anyway, is that in order to have sold more on the PC than the 360 it would mean that it was the best selling platform/game combination, MW3 excluded, since November. Do you really think that the PC has the single best selling game in that time?

It's possible. I assume you're basing your argument on NPD numbers, right? The problem with that is that the NPD only covers U.S. retail (and not even every U.S. retail store). This paints a pretty misleading picture of the market. There has yet to be any reliable source for digital sale figures so it's much harder to estimate how well Skyrim has done on PC.

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 31, 2012, 10:13 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 05:16:
Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 00:03:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 22:51:
Beamer wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 13:26:
Skyrim on Xbox almost definitely outsold on the PC, though I'm sure it was much closer than Oblivion was, where the 360 blew the PC out of the water.

Source plz. As far as I know, Bethesda hasn't released any platform-specific sales figures for Skyrim.

Best we know is that it's sold 10 million total. It also outsold every single 360 exclusive title on the 360 in 2011. That puts it at at least 3 million 360 sales in 2011, given that Gears of War 3 sold that in its first week. It also outsold all PS3 exclusives on the PS3 in 2011. Uncharted 3 sold 3.8 million, so we know it sold at least 3.8 million on the PS3.

Let's assume GoW 3 did pretty poorly the rest of the year, and just put it at 4 million, so we'll say Skyrim sold 4 million. That works, since I think no one would argue the PS3 outsold the 360 given that it's mostly a western game and the 360 has sold better here. So that accounts for 7.8 million sales in 2011 out of an acknowledged 10 million.

Or, if you don't like this triangulating, just consider that it's the best selling 360 game since its launch outside of MW3. Do you really think the PC is selling anything as quickly as the second best selling 360 game these days? Yeah, the PC is doing well, but it hasn't taken the single title lead.

Bethesda announced that the game shipped 10 million copies to stores. That's not the same as selling those copies through to customers. Technically, it may not even account for digital sales since there's no shipping involved there. Or it's possibly that the bulk of those sales are in fact digital. Todd Howard explicitly stated that "many millions" bought the game on PC. How much "many" actually entails has yet to be determined. It was also announced that Skyrim is the fastest selling game in Steam's history. That means it sold faster than Half-Life 2 and Portal 2. Until we get actual figures per platform, any estimates are going to be based on nebulous information at best.

Of course it's nebulous, triangulation always starts out that way, but you can filter through and get some kind of reasonable certainty.

The more compelling evidence, anyway, is that in order to have sold more on the PC than the 360 it would mean that it was the best selling platform/game combination, MW3 excluded, since November. Do you really think that the PC has the single best selling game in that time?

It never went anywhere, and it's rising, but there's no way that's true. Also, of course it sold faster than HL2 on Steam - how many people had Steam and bought through Steam back then? HL2 was predominantly sold via B&M.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 31, 2012, 05:16 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 00:03:
Skyrim on Xbox almost definitely outsold on the PC, though I'm sure it was much closer than Oblivion was, where the 360 blew the PC out of the water.

Source plz. As far as I know, Bethesda hasn't released any platform-specific sales figures for Skyrim.

Best we know is that it's sold 10 million total. It also outsold every single 360 exclusive title on the 360 in 2011. That puts it at at least 3 million 360 sales in 2011, given that Gears of War 3 sold that in its first week. It also outsold all PS3 exclusives on the PS3 in 2011. Uncharted 3 sold 3.8 million, so we know it sold at least 3.8 million on the PS3.

Let's assume GoW 3 did pretty poorly the rest of the year, and just put it at 4 million, so we'll say Skyrim sold 4 million. That works, since I think no one would argue the PS3 outsold the 360 given that it's mostly a western game and the 360 has sold better here. So that accounts for 7.8 million sales in 2011 out of an acknowledged 10 million.

Or, if you don't like this triangulating, just consider that it's the best selling 360 game since its launch outside of MW3. Do you really think the PC is selling anything as quickly as the second best selling 360 game these days? Yeah, the PC is doing well, but it hasn't taken the single title lead.

Bethesda announced that the game shipped 10 million copies to stores. That's not the same as selling those copies through to customers. Technically, it may not even account for digital sales since there's no shipping involved there. Or it's possibly that the bulk of those sales are in fact digital. Todd Howard explicitly stated that "many millions" bought the game on PC. How much "many" actually entails has yet to be determined. It was also announced that Skyrim is the fastest selling game in Steam's history. That means it sold faster than Half-Life 2 and Portal 2. Until we get actual figures per platform, any estimates are going to be based on nebulous information at best.

50. DayZ Mod Jul 31, 2012, 01:19 Ant

Arma 2 got popular because DayZ mod. Wow. Can you use the VR helmet with that mod too?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 31, 2012, 00:03 Beamer

-------------

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 22:51 Jerykk

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 22:46 Dev

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 19:55:
I'd love to play Day-Z -- my son plays it and I watch him. It looks like fun and we'll enjoy playing together.

However - I need a sale. I'm not dropping 29.99 on ARMA-2.

(Yes, I know I missed the steam summer sale)
If you don't care if its on steam (they didn't put it on steam sale for months until the summer since its been selling so well without a sale), then you can often pick it up on an amazon sale. Amazon has put it on sale for $20 a few times.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 19:55 Fibrocyte

I'd love to play Day-Z -- my son plays it and I watch him. It looks like fun and we'll enjoy playing together.

However - I need a sale. I'm not dropping 29.99 on ARMA-2.

(Yes, I know I missed the steam summer sale)

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 18:52 Raptor

Wouldn't know, in all honesty I skipped the ARMA series and sticked with OFP till DayZ.

I've so far tested the mission editor and done the arsenal missions.
One arsenal mission got bugged out, but other than that everything has been fine.

Looking at the patch lists there have been a lot of fixes implemented, so I'd bet that it's now in a much better state than years ago. (come to think of it, this might have been one reason I decided to stick with OFP back then instead of getting a ArmaII straight away)

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 18:34 RollinThundr

Raptor wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 17:47:
You need Operation Arrowhead in addition then to be able to play DayZ (which is frecking amazing even with the bugs and typical OFP/ARMA clunkyness)

Bugs wise, DayZ is Alpha so you know what to expect.
Arma II - worst bug is dying when crawling over things like rocks or tree branches. Doesn't seem to be fixed at all, or maybe just some of the missions/islands still have it badly.
In DayZ I haven't broken any bones or died because of it, but I've heard reports.

Had a funny server today - people were talking about picking up strangers with a chopper they fixed/found.
According to the chat, nobody was actually backstabbed and people had fun. This is something a lot of people report on not existing anymore for some reason. I was in an UK server, so could be just that the people there weren't twats?

But as a whole, I don't have any compaints about how it plays in Alpha, most problematic currently is that you shouldn't leave your main rifle in the backpack when you log out, but the last time it didn't dissapear for me, so it's 50/50, the sidearm has survived several logons already though.
Other than that, there's a few clitches here and there as one could expect, but at the alpha state this little mod already outperforms (I think most) games I've played in the recent years when it comes to immersion and heart rate.
Massively tense moments, encounters with Zeds and other players (friendly and hostile)

Oh and I haven't died since the update which removed pistol as the starting weapon, so I'm not sure how bad it is to survive your first spawn without one, but one should be careful I suppose not to run into big cities and get picked off by bandits.
It's interesting how well this mod simulates what would most likely happen in real life.

Thanks for the reply, how about the main game itself? Is it still a clunky mess trying to play through the single player campaigns?

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 18:30 netnerd85

Got some facts and figures to backup your statement? Linky link?

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 17:47 Raptor

You need Operation Arrowhead in addition then to be able to play DayZ (which is frecking amazing even with the bugs and typical OFP/ARMA clunkyness)

Bugs wise, DayZ is Alpha so you know what to expect.
Arma II - worst bug is dying when crawling over things like rocks or tree branches. Doesn't seem to be fixed at all, or maybe just some of the missions/islands still have it badly.
In DayZ I haven't broken any bones or died because of it, but I've heard reports.

Had a funny server today - people were talking about picking up strangers with a chopper they fixed/found.
According to the chat, nobody was actually backstabbed and people had fun. This is something a lot of people report on not existing anymore for some reason. I was in an UK server, so could be just that the people there weren't twats?

But as a whole, I don't have any compaints about how it plays in Alpha, most problematic currently is that you shouldn't leave your main rifle in the backpack when you log out, but the last time it didn't dissapear for me, so it's 50/50, the sidearm has survived several logons already though.
Other than that, there's a few clitches here and there as one could expect, but at the alpha state this little mod already outperforms (I think most) games I've played in the recent years when it comes to immersion and heart rate.
Massively tense moments, encounters with Zeds and other players (friendly and hostile)

Oh and I haven't died since the update which removed pistol as the starting weapon, so I'm not sure how bad it is to survive your first spawn without one, but one should be careful I suppose not to run into big cities and get picked off by bandits.
It's interesting how well this mod simulates what would most likely happen in real life.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 17:19 RollinThundr

So I noticed another expansion was release for ARMA II, is this game at a point patch wise where it's actually playable and not clunky? I have the original ARMA II but none of the expansions one of which you need for the Day Z mod which looks interesting enough to want to try out.

Anyone playing this and have feedback on how it plays?

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 17:04 Creston

MattyC wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 13:17:
If they said the PC was the highest selling version they are still free to make console versions.

But they wouldn't really be free to program for the lowest common denominator (ie, the consoles) and to then just port straight to the PC. If the PC clearly outsold the console versions, they'd have to actually put some effort into their PC versions and make it an actual PC game. With such amazing things like an FOV slider *gasp*

To the best of my knowledge no Illuminati NWO lizard men would come and force them to only make PC games...

That's not really what I meant, what I meant was that they'd have to put far more effort into a PC game rather than the straight ports we get nowadays. They keep hiding behind the "Well, the console versions sell MILLIONS of copies more than the PC, so that's where we focus our efforts."

But I haven't seen skyrim be in the top 10 of the Xbox360 or PS3 in a LONG time, and yet apart from a few weeks, it's been there for the PC all along. (Which is now going on almost 8 months of being in the top 10.)

Far easier for them to hide behind the old "The consoles sell so much more!" and continue to program for the lowest common denominator, rather than (potentially, I have no idea if it's true, but it would seem to start to be) have to fess up the PC makes plenty of money, and suddenly you have to make a game for actual powerful hardware that you then can't easily scale down to work on the shitty console hardware.

Clearly effort was put into the PC version.

Yeah, not really. Most of the optimizations you've seen in the patches were discovered and implemented by the community through mods. It's laudable that Bethesda included them in a patch so that we could stop trying to run five different .exe modifiers at the same time, but on the flipside, why the hell was this stuff not included from the start? A simple 12 line script improved framerates by around THIRTY percent in some areas. That's not a sign of clear effort being spent on the PC version.

They chose release for several platforms because that makes the most money by making it available to everyone. It was not some 1/2 assed port.

Which I've never denied. But their focus is on consoles because according to them that makes the most money. And that's what I'm really starting to doubt. But it's far easier for them to program for consoles and port to PC than it is the other way around, even if that's really the way it SHOULD be if the PC sold more.

Creston

39. Re: Hey Bats! Jul 30, 2012, 16:55 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 15:33:
Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 11:10:
Did you get my email about Borderlands 2?

Creston

Yup. Sorry, had a long exciting busy weekend....just kind of coming too....I will respond later. No worries!

No worries, man, just wanted to make sure that you actually got it. I know for myself that for years I had a completely outdated email linked to my account here.

Creston

38. Re: Hey Bats! Jul 30, 2012, 15:33 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 11:10:
Did you get my email about Borderlands 2?

Creston

Yup. Sorry, had a long exciting busy weekend....just kind of coming too....I will respond later. No worries!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 13:26 Beamer

-------------

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 13:17 MattyC

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 11:15:
Dev wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:48:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:20:
Really would like to know the sales figures for Skyrim per platform.
Its entirely up to beth if they wish to release that info.

They won't, because then they'd get hammered by their PC fans. They want to keep saying the PC sells like shit, so they can keep getting straight cash from Microsoft for the Xbox shit.

If they admitted the PC actually sold more than well enough to warrant an actual PC game rather than a port, they'd have to give up their precious console. Far easier to keep pretending the consoles outsell the PC and keep programming for the lowest common denominator.

Creston

Um what? This makes no sense at all. Why? If they said the PC was the highest selling version they are still free to make console versions. To the best of my knowledge no Illuminati NWO lizard men would come and force them to only make PC games... Clearly effort was put into the PC version. They chose release for several platforms because that makes the most money by making it available to everyone. It was not some 1/2 assed port.

If the PC was making them so much money that consoles were detracting then they would just release PC only games. They are a company trying to make money not a cult. I have no idea where you got such a... bizarre idea from.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 12:01 Steele Johnson

Shok wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:38:
I haven't played DayZ in a while. Started playing Tribes Ascend after buying the $5 Steam sale and now I'm hooked on that

Best shooter to come out in years. And their F2P model is one of the best. You can still kick ass without buying a thing.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo