Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Thanks to the DayZ Mod, three year-old shooter Arma II continues to dominate the weekly list of bestselling games on  Steam:

1. Arma II
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. Left 4 Dead 2
  4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  5. Orcs Must Die! 2
  6. Borderlands Game of the Year Edition
  7. Civilization V: Gods & Kings
  8. BioShock Collection
  9. Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition
  10. Batman: Arkham City

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 21:12 Slashman

OK...how the hell is Skyrim still in the top 10?

Will it never die?? Has any other game ever done this? Should Bethesda not be kissing the crusty feet of every PC gamer right now?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 20:46 Paranoid Jack

Dev wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 20:11:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 17:56:
Major issue with DayZ at the moment, as far as gameplay design, is the complete lack of incentive to team up with other players. It's very easy to survive on your own if you're at least somewhat careful, so most people just shoot other players on sight because they see them as walking piņatas rather than potential allies.
Kinda like real life might be in a zombie apocalypse.

Yep, I can dig that part of it. But the AI Zs and Bandits turn into Carl Lewis and start warping/running around like a meth head on bath salts.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 20:11 Dev

Major issue with DayZ at the moment, as far as gameplay design, is the complete lack of incentive to team up with other players. It's very easy to survive on your own if you're at least somewhat careful, so most people just shoot other players on sight because they see them as walking piņatas rather than potential allies.
Kinda like real life might be in a zombie apocalypse.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 19:38 Shok

I haven't played DayZ in a while. Started playing Tribes Ascend after buying the $5 Steam sale and now I'm hooked on that  

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 19:08 Cutter

Meh, been too busy with work to even get the Day Z mod installed nevermind check it out. By the time I do I'll probably be hip deep in PS2 and GW2. Meh!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 19:01 netnerd85

Major issue with DayZ at the moment, as far as gameplay design, is the complete lack of incentive to team up with other players. It's very easy to survive on your own if you're at least somewhat careful, so most people just shoot other players on sight because they see them as walking piņatas rather than potential allies. And of course this attitude spreads to other players when they get burned by someone they were trying to be nice to and communicate with, and so the the cycle continues. Playing with buddies using VOIP is great fun, but god help any loners that we stumble upon... It's not even so much about trying to be a bandit and murdering for fun, it's just that you can't trust strangers at all.
"It's not like before!"

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 17:56 jacobvandy

Major issue with DayZ at the moment, as far as gameplay design, is the complete lack of incentive to team up with other players. It's very easy to survive on your own if you're at least somewhat careful, so most people just shoot other players on sight because they see them as walking piņatas rather than potential allies. And of course this attitude spreads to other players when they get burned by someone they were trying to be nice to and communicate with, and so the the cycle continues. Playing with buddies using VOIP is great fun, but god help any loners that we stumble upon... It's not even so much about trying to be a bandit and murdering for fun, it's just that you can't trust strangers at all.  

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 17:50 Raptor

peteham wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 16:36:
Been watching some of Sacriel's DayZ videos on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/sacriel42) after someone here posted a link in a previous thread.. I have to say it looks like tonnes of fun what with sniping requiring some attention to ballistics, range-finding and such, and the constant need for resources forcing people to stay on the move. I also like the lack of friend/foe markers and how confused firefights can sometimes get when your squad is spread out and you don't automagically see this information on screen, requiring constant communication like it would in real life. "Do we have someone in the tree-line? DO WE HAVE SOMEONE IN THE TREE-LINE?? I'm taking the shot now!" etc.. Nice stuff.

The major caveat of course, being that you seem to need a squad to get the most out of it. I don't think it looks like much fun if you're on your own.

And too bad about the apparent rampant cheating and duping.

Well, I've played it for a while now and other than one session with a mate I've been solo ever since.
I've so far had some of my most enjoyable and tense moments over years of games (most of my earlier experiences have been heavily scripted)
On my current character I've been alive for quite a while as well which has made it even more tense, don't want to lose that equipment.
Had several extremely close calls though, 2 with other players and the rest with ninja zombies and becoming too careless.

I've been lucky not to see any cheating as well (maybe its the servers), apparently this is getting improved as well with the updates.

I have avoided other players, I've offered a warm fire to one though, who I met when I accidentally circled around to the beach, he was cold so I thought I'd help out, so there's still a chance to have proper interaction with strangers as well.

So yah, definitely give it a shot if you haven't. It does take a while to get used to it, but once you do this mod will offer the best zombie survival gameplay in any game.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 17:49 Paranoid Jack

Axis wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 16:56:
The real lesson here is inclusion of modding. Make even a mediocre game moddable, you can still become mighty profitable.

No doubt. I was going to avoid ArmA II after being burned with the original and trying the ArmA II Demo. This game is full of issues. Playing some DayZ and noticing the same. But they at least are in Alpha stage not retail. Or so they say they have plans to make it a stand alone later this year. I hope they can fix some of the many issues with the game.

It can be fun playing solo also. Lone Wolf against the world. Killing the Zs getting easy once you find the right weapons. But their psycho AI abilities makes it very inconsistent as far as great game play goes. Still its fun.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 16:56 Axis

The real lesson here is inclusion of modding. Make even a mediocre game moddable, you can still become mighty profitable.  

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 16:36 peteham

Been watching some of Sacriel's DayZ videos on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/sacriel42) after someone here posted a link in a previous thread.. I have to say it looks like tonnes of fun what with sniping requiring some attention to ballistics, range-finding and such, and the constant need for resources forcing people to stay on the move. I also like the lack of friend/foe markers and how confused firefights can sometimes get when your squad is spread out and you don't automagically see this information on screen, requiring constant communication like it would in real life. "Do we have someone in the tree-line? DO WE HAVE SOMEONE IN THE TREE-LINE?? I'm taking the shot now!" etc.. Nice stuff.

The major caveat of course, being that you seem to need a squad to get the most out of it. I don't think it looks like much fun if you're on your own.

And too bad about the apparent rampant cheating and duping.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2012, 16:42.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 16:08 The Half Elf

Ok so I finally got the ARMA 2 addon and DayZ. After some fighting with right patches and beta patches and what servers to avoid.. it's "interesting'.

Also started playing Mirror's Edge today. I figure I'm about half-way through the game, but damn it's actually pretty good.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 16:00 PHJF

Well at least you tried using hyphens.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 15:42 nin

Go go OMD!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer