Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Thanks to the DayZ Mod, three year-old shooter Arma II continues to dominate the weekly list of bestselling games on  Steam:

1. Arma II
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. Left 4 Dead 2
  4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  5. Orcs Must Die! 2
  6. Borderlands Game of the Year Edition
  7. Civilization V: Gods & Kings
  8. BioShock Collection
  9. Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition
  10. Batman: Arkham City

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 11:15 Creston

Dev wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:48:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:20:
Really would like to know the sales figures for Skyrim per platform.
Its entirely up to beth if they wish to release that info.

They won't, because then they'd get hammered by their PC fans. They want to keep saying the PC sells like shit, so they can keep getting straight cash from Microsoft for the Xbox shit.

If they admitted the PC actually sold more than well enough to warrant an actual PC game rather than a port, they'd have to give up their precious console. Far easier to keep pretending the consoles outsell the PC and keep programming for the lowest common denominator.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Hey Bats! Jul 30, 2012, 11:10 Creston

Did you get my email about Borderlands 2?

Creston

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 11:00 LgFriess

Kajetan wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 05:16:
Dev wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:44:
BTW, the interesting part is you might think everyone who wanted skyrim would have jumped on it at the 50% off sale, but there's STILL demand for it at full price.
Thats the thing Valve and others pointed out several times now.

Sales do NOT devalue a game.
Instead sales even increase the number of units sold for normal price AFTER the sale has ended.

I ended up picking up Civ V on the steam sale. I never would have bought it at full price because I just really wasn't that interested. But at $6 or whatever it was, I thought, ya, I'll give it a shot. Now I'm really enjoying it and will pick up Gods and Kings at the full price. Two sales they would not have had without the summer discount.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 10:48 Dev

Kajetan wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 10:36:
Monthy Phyton experienced masive increases in sales after starting the Official MP Youtube channel, where they released their material in a very good video and audio quality.
What?? ZOMG, but don't the **IA have to send takedowns to anyone using any clips or music songs on any videos anywhere? Why in the WORLD would someone buy something if they have have it for FREE!?? They are all criminals and should be treated as such, because **IA has a right to everyone's money, right? Right?

(just to be clear, the above is not my opinion, but is what I see frequently happening)

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 10:36 Kajetan

Dev wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 10:02:
BTW, this same thing shows up with Baen books. They put free ebook versions of #1 in most of their sci fi series, and sometimes rotate other books for free, and everytime they do, they increase sales of the PHYSICAL books. Not just of the others in the series, but of that #1 that they are giving away free as well.
Cory Doctorow puts his books on his homepage for free. His printed books have been seen several reprints. Other writers experience the same. A massive increase in revenue after releasing one, a few or all books on the net for free.

Monthy Phyton experienced masive increases in sales after starting the Official MP Youtube channel, where they released their material in a very good video and audio quality.

Publishers should try the "pay what you want" model or even release some games for free, but also offering a commercial version. I guess, they will be surprised ...

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 10:02 Dev

BTW, the interesting part is you might think everyone who wanted skyrim would have jumped on it at the 50% off sale, but there's STILL demand for it at full price.

Instead sales even increase the number of units sold for normal price AFTER the sale has ended.

That's exactly what I think
Thats why I think matrix games being afraid to offer Distant Worlds on steam is stupid. Stardock just showed that putting a game on steam does NOT cannibalize direct sales from their homepage.

BTW, this same thing shows up with Baen books. They put free ebook versions of #1 in most of their sci fi series, and sometimes rotate other books for free, and everytime they do, they increase sales of the PHYSICAL books. Not just of the others in the series, but of that #1 that they are giving away free as well.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2012, 10:09.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 08:59 nin

When it's on sale for $40 every other weekend (impulse, this last weekend), it's not surprisingly people pick it up.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 08:49 Verno

Hanover wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:45:
And yet Dawnguard is Xbox only.

People aren't missing much, it's really buggy and ho-hum. I think some people managed to hack the content packs together for the PC already anyway.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 08:30 SpectralMeat

So I started playing Borderlands again seeing all the hype around Borderlands 2 I wanted to give the game another chance because I really did not give it a fair chance the first time around.

I put about 7 hours into it this weekend and have a lvl13 soldier character now and I really like the game. I understand why people pre purchasing the second one now.

With that said I've preordered Borderlands 2 from GreenManGaming for $40. Looking forward to it.

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 05:16 Kajetan

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 04:44 Beaner

This isn't really a great game stand alone. Its more the co-op online experience with a group of friends which makes it good.  

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 00:22 Wowbagger_TIP

Esoteric wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:47:
Picked up OMD 2. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow. Hopefully there's really interesting/varied builds with all the new upgrade paths.

If I could ever get the damn sound to work in the demo, I might be tempted to pick this game up. Right now I get nothing though. It's bizarre.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 00:01 Beamer

I haven't retried DayZ, but given how I found nothing to do in it but run around in my first 30 minutes, I'm not sure I'll return. I see how it could be awesome, but not solo.

Instead I returned to Orcs Must Die and 5 starred every level on Warmage, which took 12 hours. I just plowed through the first act on Nightmare in about an hour. Like I keep saying, I'm not sure I'll bother with Nightmare far into the levels with Z enemies, but maybe. Then again, with OMD2 around the corner, I'll probably jump from one into the other.

Still, I'll have ended up with ~15 hours in OMD, which is a really nice return on investment.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 23:54 Jerykk

Hanover wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:45:

The bulk of Oblivion and Fallout 3's sales were on Xbox, so it makes sense that Bethesda would agree to give timed DLC exclusivity to MS. However, if Skyrim's PC sales are as strong as the charts suggest, maybe Bethesda won't do that for their next game.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 22:48 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:20:
Really would like to know the sales figures for Skyrim per platform.
Its entirely up to beth if they wish to release that info.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 22:47 Esoteric

Picked up OMD 2. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow. Hopefully there's really interesting/varied builds with all the new upgrade paths.  

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 22:45 Hanover

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 22:20 Jerykk

Really would like to know the sales figures for Skyrim per platform. Some guy on another forum said that the PC version outsold the console versions but didn't provide any source for that info.  

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 21:44 Dev

Slashman wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:12:
OK...how the hell is Skyrim still in the top 10?

Will it never die?? Has any other game ever done this? Should Bethesda not be kissing the crusty feet of every PC gamer right now?
Yes, there's been other games in top 10 on steam before for this long, such as valve games, or MW2 I think.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2012, 21:37 Mordecai Walfish

I picked up DayZ a couple of weeks ago during the steam sale, and it's been an absolute blast so far. Currently I have a broken leg and am awaiting a friend on VOIP to come on a rescue mission from our base camp with some morphine.

Only issues I've had are ai/collision glitches with the zombones so far.. i really hope that stuff is worked out soon, but in the meantime I have some good strategies for taking them on =)

Such an epically suspenseful and fun experience though, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to try something "new" in the survival/zombone genre.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo