Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 19:59 HorrorScope

Genesys wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 11:35:
It's almost as cheap as a tank of gas.

So you are saying a tank of gas is cheap?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 18:42 Dev

BTW, even if you have to disable auto trim (such as many RAID implementations), usually SSDs have a command line tool from the manufacture that you can run that does a manual trim run. I tried mine once and it took only a few seconds to run.  

35. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 17:33 Creston

I think SSDs without TRIM support are still an order of magnitude faster than any HDD. So it may wear out a year earlier than if you could use TRIM, but at $70 (and falling) for a 64gb drive, who's counting? It's almost as cheap as a tank of gas.

I'm not sure if you really understand what TRIM does? Not having TRIM doesn't make it "die out a year earlier." Not having TRIM means eventually your SSD slows down to a literal CRAWL, to where it's barely faster than a normal HDD and in some cases even slower.

TRIM's now on every SSD (and has been for years), and it really needs to be in order to keep them effective. Disabling TRIM by RAID'ing your SSDs is just asking for misery.

*shrug* no shirt off my back, obviously, but I'm just saying.

Creston

34. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 14:16 Mashiki Amiketo

I think SSDs without TRIM support are still an order of magnitude faster than any HDD. So it may wear out a year earlier than if you could use TRIM, but at $70 (and falling) for a 64gb drive, who's counting? It's almost as cheap as a tank of gas.
They sell drives without TRIM support? Hell my 3 year old OCZ vertex supports TRIM.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

33. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 11:35 Genesys

32. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 11:06 Creston

Genesys wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:11:
I have avoided this whole problem by mirroring EVERYTHING. Drives are cheap. Mirror two SSDs for a boot drive, and two huge HDDs for your other data. If a drive fails out of warranty, buy the biggest one you can, replace the failed one, and if this is the 2nd failure (i.e. you now have two drives larger then your original mirror), then you can expand your mirror to use the new space.

Heh. Another reason to buy a desktop. Can't put many drives in a laptop :) My smallest PC - a Dell Studio Slim - even has 2 HDDs and 2 SSDs in it. Had to put the DVD Drive on an addon PCI-e card, though; only had 4 SATA ports on the motherboard.

If you mirror SSDs (I assume by putting them in a RAID1), they lose their TRIM functionality, which, quite frankly, is a disaster for SSDs. Until they fix that problem, I'd hold off on RAID'ing them.

Creston

31. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 10:17 HorrorScope

Dev wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 04:25:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 23:17:
Why is boot speed that important these days? Your O/S and it's sleep more should be stable enough that a cold or warm reboot is rare.
Its not just boot speed an SSD helps, OS stuff gets accessed constantly. Plus you can put a couple favored games to help load faster.

Oh yah I get that, but not pointing at anyone in general many like to talk boot speed. I next to never reboot Win 7. I'm all over SSD or ram disk setups to make systems faster.

30. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 10:11 Dev

kanniballl wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 10:07:
I find it best to have a decent desktop, and a basic/cheap laptop
I agree, in fact for my laptop I just have a netbook type $300 one. I got one with a radeon graphics chip, so I could do minimum resolution games such as TF2 if I wanted.

29. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 10:07 kanniballl

I find it best to have a decent desktop, and a basic/cheap laptop

If I go with the desktop-replacement laptop: my desk becomes a mess. More cables on the desk, the laptop taking up desk real-estate. Having to unplug everything when I want to leave. It runs hot. If I want a true replacement, it's costly for something slower than a desktop. Etc

So I tend to like a solid desktop to do most of my work: database work, development, gaming, etc. Something fast with big screens (or multi screens).

Then have a basic laptop on-hand for when I need to do something mobile (which isn't THAT often). And to be honest, a LOT of my casual mobile stuff gets taken care of by my iPad. So I don't even use my laptop that much anymore.

If you're just a casual PC user then a laptop is probably fine by itself. But if you spend a lot of your time at your desk and need something hefty, and need to use your desk for REAL work, then the desktop is usually a better way to go.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

28. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 08:48 Verno

A desktop just serves so many functions, I can't see myself moving to anything else full stop. I use my phone to check email and use google now to find restaurants or whatever but that's about it. Tablets are an even weirder case due to all of the edge functionality missing.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

27. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 07:25 Veterator

I think a laptop is great and all, but I like having a real keyboard and a nice big monitor. Sure you can hook them up to a laptop and get it, but then you're defeating the purpose of the laptop.

If you need to hook the laptop up to a bunch of stuff that you can't carry around to actually use it in any serious manner.....you're better off with a desktop.

I look at laptops more as a way to do minor things and lug/access data with the possibility of doing some fairly serious work/stuff on it if needed. Kind of a mobile personal workspace....but at home and for big work tasks I'd use a desktop over a laptop every time given the choice. Ends up being cheaper over time as well, since you can repair the desktop and reuse the monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc if you do have to replace the desktop due to it breaking or becoming obsolete.

I think we'll always have some sort of processing device we'll need to do things...perhaps your phone might be capable eventually. But I really hope they start pushing toward new types of input devices and displays. As a script glasses wearer I'd love to have something tied into glasses to give me a monitor replacement. And on inputs, I know they have some kind of camera that can project a keyboard and read your inputs with some success. Sweeping gestures for clearing the screen or changing it would be OK. Majority of your stuff would have to small minimal movements, otherwise you couldn't stand to do it for any period of time that wouldn't end up with you having issues with RSI. Once they get something like this, laptops and desktops would be replaced....except for instances where you need a fixed location to do certain things due to processing power needs.

26. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 04:25 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 23:17:
Why is boot speed that important these days? Your O/S and it's sleep more should be stable enough that a cold or warm reboot is rare.
Its not just boot speed an SSD helps, OS stuff gets accessed constantly. Plus you can put a couple favored games to help load faster.
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 23:54:
Dev wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:45:
3d printers? Can get them for around $500 now
Plus you could build robot parts with one.

That would definitely be cool too. I'm also sort of looking at desktop laser cutters. Those are pretty neat also, though I think they need to vent out a window.
For 3d printing, ABS plastic you'd probably need to, but may not have to with PLA.

25. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 04:24 Ozmodan

With a laptop, I am at the builders mercy to what they put in it and what I can add after. The gaming laptops I have seen run quite hot, you put them on your lap and they will fry it. Then you have the sales idiots who tell you that Intel graphics are fine.

While laptops are fine for some things, you still need a desktop for decent gaming.

24. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 00:59 HorrorScope

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 23:44:
Sounds like what I have, just the Oct 2010 model. It has the little shield saying Republic of Gamers on it?

Never had issues with mine. Luck of the draw and all that huh?

Yeah it's hit or miss, the good news is you'll know to do the easiest thing first, blow it out with air, for most with issues that is all that was needed. If you don't I would suggest a laptop cooler or something to keep it from laying fully on a flat surface.

23. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 00:58 DrEvil

My single SSD cold boots win7 in 9 seconds. What kinda shitty SSDs are you running where a stripe SSD boot drive is not a giant waste of hardware?  

22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 00:11 Pigeon

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 23:44:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:33:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:13:
[Thats one of the reasons I did research to see who builds the best quality laptops in hopes that its going to take some time until that happens. (its an Asus)

My son has an asus, the stealth fighter looking one. VC runs very hot, need to blow it out with air and keep it off a flat service. You can tell the tolerances are very close. The first time caught us a little, OS wouldn't boot, thought it was ram, then an internal fan then vc. Luckily blowing air works for most. Other then that it's been golden.

Sounds like what I have, just the Oct 2010 model. It has the little shield saying Republic of Gamers on it?

I've got a gamerish Asus. Basically I got something that had some power, but not enough that heat would be a constant issue. Its been pretty reliable, though I had the headphone jack go out and had to send it in for repair. But now the screen is going all funky and flickering intermitently. I suspect its a loose wire, but since the warranty has run out I'll either have to pry it open myself or take it somewhere to be repaired *shudder*.

21. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 23:54 Silicon Avatar

Dev wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:45:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:41:
I like my desktop but I like to actually build them from parts.

It's just a hobby ...snip...

3d printers? Can get them for around $500 now
Plus you could build robot parts with one.

That would definitely be cool too. I'm also sort of looking at desktop laser cutters. Those are pretty neat also, though I think they need to vent out a window.

20. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 23:44 Kitkoan

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:33:
Kitkoan wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:13:
[Thats one of the reasons I did research to see who builds the best quality laptops in hopes that its going to take some time until that happens. (its an Asus)

My son has an asus, the stealth fighter looking one. VC runs very hot, need to blow it out with air and keep it off a flat service. You can tell the tolerances are very close. The first time caught us a little, OS wouldn't boot, thought it was ram, then an internal fan then vc. Luckily blowing air works for most. Other then that it's been golden.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 23:17 HorrorScope

18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 23:14 necrosis

Genesys wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:11:
I have avoided this whole problem by mirroring EVERYTHING. Drives are cheap. Mirror two SSDs for a boot drive, and two huge HDDs for your other data.
Mirroring your boot drive is the stupidest thing to do if your forking over the money for a SSD. Your OS is expendable. So you want to STRIPE those SSD's for boot speed.

Saving DATA to a mirrored set (moving all the user folders to this array is the best idea, you have to do it on OS install using a unattended method though.) is a good idea.

Or do what I do. Two SATA III SSD's striped for OS. Two Raptors striped for Users and game installs. Backup to a 30TB NAS which is in 3 volumes (one raid6, other two raid5).

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo