Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Game Reviews Jul 30, 2012, 18:34 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 10:28:
The real problem with videogame reviews is finding people who share your distinct tastes and preferences. The whole ad model is a known factor and its really easy to spot the shill companies who are too soft on things. Dragon Age 2 getting a shitload of disapproving text in a review but still managing an 85 score is an alarm bell for example. The scoring system on most sites suck for that reason as well.
Or when a game is praised throughout the review then they give it a 6/10

Scores don't work and shouldn't be used.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Game Reviews Jul 30, 2012, 11:17 Quboid

necrosis wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 23:06:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:24:
Just because a game is best played with a non-M&KB setup does not make it a bad port. Devil May Cry 4 and Street Figher 4 are great ports but they aren't best played with M&KB because of their respective genres.
True. But personally I would NEVER buy a fighting game on PC just like I will NEVER buy a FPS on console. DMC is also another game I would never buy on a PC.

Actually these are bad examples. I would never by a Capcom game on PC after the chance I took with Resident Evil 4.

Why would you never buy a fighting game for the PC, because they're better with a game controller? It looks to me like you're saying that KB&M is always better, except when it isn't.

- Quboid

19. Re: Game Reviews Jul 30, 2012, 10:28 Verno

The real problem with videogame reviews is finding people who share your distinct tastes and preferences. The whole ad model is a known factor and its really easy to spot the shill companies who are too soft on things. Dragon Age 2 getting a shitload of disapproving text in a review but still managing an 85 score is an alarm bell for example. The scoring system on most sites suck for that reason as well.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

18. Re: Game Reviews Jul 30, 2012, 10:02 avianflu

could that article have been any more lightweight?  

17. Re: Game Reviews Jul 30, 2012, 08:51 nin

Anytime you preface a PC game review with "plays best with a controller" translates exactly to "SHIT PORT", simple as that no excuses.

Depends on the game. I'm not playing a racing game with the keyboard and mouse. Well, maybe if I want to lose...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Game Reviews Jul 30, 2012, 05:36 netnerd85

Axis wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 16:53:
Anytime you preface a PC game review with "plays best with a controller" translates exactly to "SHIT PORT", simple as that no excuses.
I mostly agree but Fighting and Adventure (hack and slash) games just don't work that well. A button masher game is a button masher game. FPS is M+KB all the way though.

15. Re: Game Reviews Jul 30, 2012, 00:14 Jerykk

necrosis wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 23:06:
Just because a game is best played with a non-M&KB setup does not make it a bad port. Devil May Cry 4 and Street Figher 4 are great ports but they aren't best played with M&KB because of their respective genres.
True. But personally I would NEVER buy a fighting game on PC just like I will NEVER buy a FPS on console. DMC is also another game I would never buy on a PC.

Actually these are bad examples. I would never by a Capcom game on PC after the chance I took with Resident Evil 4.

You'll be missing out. Resident Evil 4 was a crappy port, yes, but it was outsourced to some random Chinese developer. Since Capcom has taken their first-party ports internal, the quality has raised significantly. DMC4, RE5 and SF4 are all great ports (aside from the GFWL integration).

On a side note, why would you never buy a fighting game on PC? If you enjoy fighting games, why not get the best version?

14. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 23:06 necrosis

13. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 22:24 Jerykk

This new generation of goofball console idiots need to stay away from reviewing PC GAMES.

and how many dings should a PC game recieve when it's well know it will have ZERO support or patches?

I'm gonna start my own review blog. These current 'industry reviewers' don't know shit about what true pc gamers expect.

Eh? M&KB is not the optimal control scheme for every genre. Fighting games are best played with arcade sticks. Mech sims and flight sims are best played with flight sticks. Racing games are best played with wheels. Shooters and strategy games are best played with M&KB. Games that have fixed camera angles are best played with gamepads.

I HIGHLY disagree. There are several games that are just easier with a controller then a mouse/keyboard, and are enhanced ports of the original. Mirror's Edge, Batman AA and AC, Assassin's Creed series.

That's debatable. It's much, much easier to turn quickly and precisely in ME when you use M/KB. This doesn't mean much in the campaign but it makes a huge difference in the time trials. As for the Arkham games, the gadget quick use is much easier with number keys than D-Pads because there are 8 abilities, requiring you to double-tap diagonally on the D-Pad, whereas on PC you have specific number keys. No chance of error.

12. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 22:19 necrosis

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:35:
I HIGHLY disagree. There are several games that are just easier with a controller then a mouse/keyboard, and are enhanced ports of the original. Mirror's Edge, Batman AA and AC, Assassin's Creed series.
Your opinion. I can go with that.

But for me I played all those games with M&K with no issues. Will always take K&M over a controller any day. Lack of proper support for what I would call the default input method is just total bullshit. Imagine a console racer offering sub par controller support because they only really made the game for a wheel?

The worst crap is these games are now **ONLY** supporting the the 360 controller out of the box. Some of them **ONLY** supporting the wired version to boot! Now this is complete crap. I have a Playstation 3 to USB adapter I use to play FFXI (its K&M support is for the birds) I am not about to buy ANOTHER controller.

The other problem is these review places only review the game when I think the game experience should be reviewed. That's from purchasing the game to the ending credits. Meaning broken installers (Fallout 3 DLC) and specifically DRM should be factored in. Ubi's games would get 3 stars yanked for DRM alone. Another one star because they refuse to support 16:10 properly. That's before even getting to the first gameplay segment.

11. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 20:21 Prez

When it comes to PC ports for me there's a huge difference between works WELL with a gamepad, works BEST with a gamepad, and works ONLY with a gamepad. The last I write off completely - if you can't be bothered to at least get mouse and keyboard working sufficiently well as to be at least playable then piss off (I'm looking at you, Binary Domain). I totally prefer the first, but can tolerate most instances of the middle case where the gamepad was what the developer intended you to use but mouse and keyboard are completely viable as well.

Other than racing games and arcade flight games, there are very few games I play with only a gamepad. Batman AC worked fine with m+k, and Saints Row 3 worked equally well with both (I used m+k for on foot and gamepad for most of the driving and flying). The greatest advantage the PC offers over consoles is choice and options; developers that can't be bothered to notice that don't usually get my money.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

10. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 20:08 Kitkoan

I'll argue this. These days I'm playing more games with a controller then on the keyboard and mouse when I can. On my computer. I find that I'm more comfortable to just lean back and play my game with a controller then to sit forward to play with the keyboard and mouse. And I use Joy2Key to help make more games work with my controller. I enjoy playing Guild Wars with a controller, while it's not the most ideal it works nicely and I feel thats a plus for me.

In the end, different controlling options can be a good thing. Also playing Serious Sam HD with a group of friends is great when all you have to do is toss the controller around and having it playing on the huge TV.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

9. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 19:35 The Half Elf

Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:21:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 16:33:
Heh, full circle: Erik Kain used to blog at my other favorite blog: balloon juice.

"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

"69 DUDE!"

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 19:35 The Half Elf

This new generation of goofball console idiots need to stay away from reviewing PC GAMES.

and how many dings should a PC game recieve when it's well know it will have ZERO support or patches?

I'm gonna start my own review blog. These current 'industry reviewers' don't know shit about what true pc gamers expect.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 19:21 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 16:33:
Heh, full circle: Erik Kain used to blog at my other favorite blog: balloon juice.

"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 19:02 PHJF

Well, the xbox controller IS a valid game controller on PC. It's well designed and supported.

Yeah, so well supported that now all other peripherals fail to even work because games only work with xbox controllers. Ah, the true spirit of PC gaming: use a Microsoft controller or fuck off!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 18:19 HorrorScope

And the real problem is the big boys are paying for reviews. They've been busted a couple times now and no reason to think it isn't rampant.  

4. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 17:52 MisterBenn

That article is horse shit. It's well known that most review sites have a professional cooperation with publishers and perform a marketing function for them. There are no doubt some people trying to do the right thing but they are outnumbered so you can't trust anything at face value. Nothing's a bigger problem than that.  

Playing: Path of Exile.

3. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 17:43 jdreyer

Well, the xbox controller IS a valid game controller on PC. It's well designed and supported. And it's a great controller for SOME kinds of games. First and third person action games aren't those games, though. So, for games that PC gamers are expecting to have mouse and keyboard implementation that don't, that needs to knock it down, IMO.

Also, I know the dev was shut down, but do we know for sure this won't be supported? Many games have been supported after the dev went under, although many have not. Although, again it definitely needs to be in the review that the dev is shut down.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Game Reviews Jul 29, 2012, 16:53 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo