Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sanctum OS X Plans

Coffee Stain Studios announces plans for a OS X edition of Sanctum, saying the Mac edition of their first-person shooter/tower defense game is due on August 13th. The Sanctum website has details on how to apply to beta test this, saying those who own the Windows edition should all be granted access "shortly." Here's word:

Sanctum has taken Steam by storm, winning the community’s vote for last week’s Community Sale. Come August 13th, Mac users will be able to get their hands on the game and experience the awesomeness that is the first FPS/tower-defense hybrid. Those who own Sanctum now will see a separate Beta version in their games list that they can download and test.

View
5. Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Jul 28, 2012, 21:48 Kitkoan

DrEvil wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 17:01:
Axis wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 15:27:
Mac != gaming.

Companies would be smarter making them for Linux...

The Mac has everything needed to make games, and I would note that the total amount of revenue collected on every Humble Bundle has been greater for the mac than for Linux.

It's also quite frankly a better, easier platform to develop for from a development and OS API standpoint.

The problem is, OSX is bloated and this makes it harder to play games combined with Apples lackluster hardware makes gaming a bigger challenge then it should be.

They fill up the GPU (which games need) with the OS's bloat using OpenCL to make it seem faster until you need to use the GPU then you notice that the OSX version needs a faster/more powerful GPU then the Windows version (the only game that doesn't have this issue I've seen are small indie games and Portal 2 and the Source engine is a CPU intensive engine, not GPU).

Apple doesn't make decent hardware for gaming in mind and most won't/can't upgrade easily to make a good gaming rig.

And with Apples move to it's own built in App store plus the fact that it's slowly locking OSX down to become iOS doesn't encourage anyone. Gatekeeper is now on by default and most basic users won't turn it off because you have to go to the Security settings and turn things off (people will think warning signs about turning any system settings off, more so with a security setting clearly labelled Security). In the next version or two it could be possible to no be able to disable Gatekeeper and it being marketed off as a selling point "No need to worry about malware as OSX has been now designed to prevent viruses from being able to do anything." This has been touted already as a security for it's users on iOS and a selling point for many. And many developers are already complaining about the sandboxing for the App store.

And what API's are good for making games on OSX? From what I've heard, OpenGL support is pretty bad on OSX and DirectX doesn't work at all. The two main API's used for games don't have much support that I'm aware of. This really hinders development on OSX as you'll need to use Cocoa I think? And if so, you're just adding more cost to an already small gaming market. Things like these make gaming on OSX less then a great move and why I think Valve has all but stopped development of Steam on OSX.

As for the Humble Indie Bundles, OSX users tend to buy a few more copies but not enough to compensate the average price between it and Linux so it doesn't not have a greater revenue collected.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 28, 15:27 Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Axis
  2. Jul 28, 17:01  Re: Sanctum OS X Plans DrEvil
  4. Jul 28, 20:32   Re: Sanctum OS X Plans killer_roach
>> 5. Jul 28, 21:48   Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Kitkoan
  6. Jul 29, 01:52    Re: Sanctum OS X Plans DrEvil
  7. Jul 29, 02:57     Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Kitkoan
  12. Jul 29, 16:08      Re: Sanctum OS X Plans DrEvil
  3. Jul 28, 17:53 Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Trevellian
  10. Jul 29, 11:46  Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Saboth