Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Castle Story Kickstarter

A Kickstarter Campaign for Castle Story launched last night, and this upcoming Minecraft-style voxel construction game from Sauropod Studio blew past its $80,000 goal in a matter of hours, and is now at well over the $200K mark (thanks Jean-Philippe). Here's an overview of the project:

Castle Story is a creative voxel-based strategy game in which you can build castles one brick at a time using an army of little characters called Bricktrons.

Your goal will be to explore a vast landscape full of mysteries and dangers, and defend your castle against onslaughts of hostile creatures and possibly other players.

The world of Castle Story takes place on flying islands, high above an infinite ocean. The islands are made of voxels, cubes made of various elements, which means you can dig, carve and build anything you can imagine in the landscape. Digging underground to gather resources, stacking bricks on top of each other to build a wall or even tunnelling through a mountain is all possible and even necessary to keep your Bricktrons safe.

Carefully designing your castle not only requires creativity and imagination, but thanks to pathfinding AI and physics simulations, Castle Story has layers of strategy and depth on top of an otherwise free-form sandbox experience.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 29, 2012, 17:02 netnerd85

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 10:04:
netnerd85 wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 15:29:
J wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 14:55:
Perhaps, unlike Minecraft, it'll feel finished?
It's easier to "finish" a game that isn't as open or doesn't have any where near the same amount of features and functionality as Minecraft.

True. They could go Notch's route: Rake in millions of dollars from selling the shitty alpha/beta versions of the game while developing at a sluggish rate, then use that shyster-earned money to bulk up the development team post-release and THEN start adding in features that make the game slightly less boring.
So, you don't know anything about programming then? You obviously have no idea what it takes for a small group of programmers to get things done. That's fine, perhaps you could use this opportunity to learn? Or are you happy showing the world you know nothing and looking the fool?

You can have your opinion of the game, that's fine - just don't go talking about things out of your depth.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 29, 2012, 16:31 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 14:31:
Are those freakish yellow portly dudes just placeholders or is that would they are going to look like in the final release?

Exactly. Even something as cliche as cute dwarven miners would be an improvement.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

22. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 29, 2012, 14:31 Prez

Are those freakish yellow portly dudes just placeholders or is that would they are going to look like in the final release?

True. They could go Notch's route: Rake in millions of dollars from selling the shitty alpha/beta versions of the game while developing at a sluggish rate, then use that shyster-earned money to bulk up the development team post-release and THEN start adding in features that make the game slightly less boring.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that you are not a big Minecraft fan.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

21. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 29, 2012, 10:28 gilly775

Axis wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 15:26:
Already looks more fun than stronghold...

Agreed. And it looks like they captured the essence better than their third game. Automatic back.

20. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 29, 2012, 10:04 Fibrocyte

netnerd85 wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 15:29:
It's easier to "finish" a game that isn't as open or doesn't have any where near the same amount of features and functionality as Minecraft.

19. Re: Kickstarter kickstarter... Jul 29, 2012, 07:37 El Pit

Dev wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 06:57:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 02:42:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 01:27:
Please give me money so that I can kickstart a kickstarter. I'll be making a game about explosions, sex, castles, fast cars, philosophy, machine guns, swords, puzzles, helicopters, neon lights, time travel, religion, space ships, dinosaurs, and jet packs.

Thank you!

Throw in Nazis and zombies and you've got yourself a deal.
And vampires. You want the twilight crowd.

And you must use outdated graphics. I recommend a 2D engine. It's a must for ks!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

18. Re: Kickstarter kickstarter... Jul 29, 2012, 06:57 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 02:42:
Please give me money so that I can kickstart a kickstarter. I'll be making a game about explosions, sex, castles, fast cars, philosophy, machine guns, swords, puzzles, helicopters, neon lights, time travel, religion, space ships, dinosaurs, and jet packs.

Thank you!

And vampires. You want the twilight crowd.

17. Re: Kickstarter kickstarter... Jul 29, 2012, 02:42 Jerykk

Thank you!

16. Kickstarter kickstarter... Jul 29, 2012, 01:27 JohnBirshire

Thank you!

15. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 29, 2012, 00:53 Veterator

netnerd85 wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 22:36:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 18:56:
Looking at the kickstarter page, it looks like $15 will get you into the beta which will then become the completed game.
Yeah it does say "we'd like to clarify that for 15$ you OWN the game!" on the page.

Yeah they added that after I posted. Still the language in the original was confusing, not sure why they kept mentioning pre-purchase price like it was something seperate.

14. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 22:36 netnerd85

jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 18:56:
Looking at the kickstarter page, it looks like $15 will get you into the beta which will then become the completed game.
Yeah it does say "we'd like to clarify that for 15$ you OWN the game!" on the page.

13. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 19:12 Beamer

Graphics look pleasant, I like the character model, and I like that you have an army of little dudes.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 18:56 jdreyer

Veterator wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 17:39:
Am I reading it correctly that you kickstart and they offer you the beta at a pre-release price for that? Meaning you give them X dollars and then they allow you to buy the beta?

Game looks like it could be fun, it could also end up being massively irritating/boring. Pacing and unseen features/details will make the difference. If it just amounts to keeping the guys from digging themselves through the island and building castles, that'd be pretty boring.

11. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 17:39 Veterator

Am I reading it correctly that you kickstart and they offer you the beta at a pre-release price for that? Meaning you give them X dollars and then they allow you to buy the beta?

Game looks like it could be fun, it could also end up being massively irritating/boring. Pacing and unseen features/details will make the difference. If it just amounts to keeping the guys from digging themselves through the island and building castles, that'd be pretty boring.

10. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 17:30 wtf_man

After watching the "first demonstration" video, at least it doesn't look like total ass, as minecraft does.

And before someone balks about "gameplay over graphics" (which I mostly agree with), I do have a minimum standard for graphics. This game is far from photorealistic, but looks pleasant enough to play.. unlike minecraft.

9. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 17:27 Alamar

DrEvil wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 16:59:
Not surprising; Markus Persson (aka "Notch") posted about this on Twitter yesterday and their donations skyrocketed.

Wonder if Cutter will come in here and say something bad about him : )

As for DG2... I feel bad doing it, but I have to laugh at them jumping on the KS bandwagon, and not making their goal, when they (from the start) listed extra goals at 2, 3, 4x the initial (far too high) goal of 250k...

I also expect their game to get made either way, and reserve (my) KS donations to those that need it.

Edit: On topic... Not sure it's my style of game, but the first few mins of the (Castle Story) vid looked pretty cool... I'm glad they made their goal : )

-Alamar

8. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 17:25 nin

Looks neat. I could easily see chipping in towards it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 16:59 DrEvil

Not surprising; Markus Persson (aka "Notch") posted about this on Twitter yesterday and their donations skyrocketed.  

6. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 16:53 DeadlyAccurate

I like this, and I'll almost certainly buy it on release if it's as good as it looks like it'll be.  

5. Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 16:11 jdreyer

I wish the characters didn't look like the offspring of Lego minifigures and the Stay Puft marshmallow man.

Other than that, I do like the look and gameplay of it. Castle creation looks extremely granular, which is very cool but: I hope there are some tools to prevent it from becoming too tedious. For example, I would like I can design a tower type block by block in an editor, then order my guys to build four of them so I don't have to recreate each from scratch.

The only kickstarter I've ever contributed to is Defense Grid 2, but I'll consider donating to this one, especially as DG2 doesn't look like it will reach its goal.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo