Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Dishonoredís Dishonourable Pre-Order Rat Trap. Thanks nin.
WHO IS THIS HELPING?

The shops. Thatís who. But the problem is, itís all sold as if itís of benefit to all of us. And it isnít. Itís a pain in our lives, when we just want to buy the complete, finished version of the game, so we can play it as the developers intended. Bloody well let us.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Op Ed Jul 29, 2012, 16:08 Lokust

All this stuff ends up as available as DLC eventually so you can always wait to buy it until DLC is available and get it all.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 17:21 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 13:20:
Except Borderlands 2, which gives you an entire character class if you preorder.

Exactly. Most pre-order bonuses give you new weapons, abilities, missions, characters, costumes, etc. If you pre-order Hitman: Absolution from GameStop, you not only get exclusive weapons and costumes but an entirely separate sniping game. And this is only available when you pre-order from GameStop (though they'll probably sell it separately a month after release).

Dishonored's pre-order bonuses are pretty tame in comparison.

18. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 13:20 PHJF

Except Borderlands 2, which gives you an entire character class if you preorder.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 11:11 wtf_man

PropheT wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 23:56:
Part of the point is that how do you know that without having played the game?

Besides what Jerykk said about reading the descriptions... the track record for pre-order items of just about any game has been that they have always been "garbage or fluff" items... and after you get them, you wonder why you even bothered in the first place.

While I can't say definitively that this is the case with Dishonored... I'm willing to bet it is.

16. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 10:14 necrosis

Veterator wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 06:48:
I mean I guess the guys are getting people to buy extra copies for the additional stuff, but how many are they losing out on because they make it too complicated to just buy the game at your favorite retailer with the parts/extras you want.
Here is the problem. Even if you have the money to do this and want to do this you usually can not use all the extra crap on the same play through.

Everything is wrapped around serials and game accounts which sometimes do not let you register more than one thing.

Granted it does happen. I bought both the CE and SE of FFXIV and was able to get both items. Funny thing is I have played it for all of ahh, 4 hours since launch.

15. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 09:29 space captain

if you are really concerned, just buy it and then download the cracked version, which will have ALL DLC enabled  
Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 08:56 spindoctor

Do we know whether these bonuses can be earned ingame? I mean stuff like shattering windows quietly or fire resistance sound like the kinds of things you get when you level up/upgrade your character/skills etc. If that's the case, and the pre-orders just unlock them immediately, I don't think it's a big deal. I doubt the developers would go to the trouble of adding/balancing/testing abilities just for pre-orders that other customers wouldn't have access to. Not a fan of pre-order bonuses but I don't think this particular case is one to get all pissed off about. What about Battlefield 3 which came with a map pack if you pre-ordered, but cost 15$ extra on day 1 effectively making the price of the game 75$? That's the kind of shit people should be railing against.

And yea, it does seem like RPS complains a lot about everything these days.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

13. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 06:48 Veterator

Hell I don't even like buying games that are split into collector's edition and regular. Because I always feel like the CE is too expensive, and the regular is probably going to put me at a disadvantage or make me wish I had gotten the other one.

So........I just wait until the stuff is so cheap I doesn't bug me anymore.

And this is just on games I would feel comfortable buying day one if they offered just one edition that included the whole game and the frills they want to put out. Anymore it's getting to the point where you don't risk buying anything because you know you're going to be pissed because it's too short, buggy, or on sale the week after you bought it.

I mean I guess the guys are getting people to buy extra copies for the additional stuff, but how many are they losing out on because they make it too complicated to just buy the game at your favorite retailer with the parts/extras you want.

Kinda nutty. Imagine if car dealerships had different options you could only get exclusively at particular ones. Or if certain fast food joints only carried certain condiments and drink combos at each location, so if you wanted Coke and ketchup you'd have to drive across town. But if you don't mind water and mustard you can eat at the close location.

12. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 04:13 Cutter

The major problem is more and more of what used to be complete products are being sold piecemeal, or worse, as services. Now everyone is looking to not only get their hands in your pockets, but keep them there. So, in effect, everything is becoming leasing or renting, but how many monthly fees can you keep paying to everyone? A game like PS2 with 1000's of players needs to be a service. A game like MWO does not. Just give me the SP/MP game and an editor would be nice too. Here's your one time fee, thanks, buh bye. Toss out some expansions or content that's worth buying and I'll buy it.

And all these devs/publishers can have all the pre-order crap they want but it won't sway me a single inch. Every year there are only several games that will get day one purchases regardless of what they do. The rest are all just sales waiting to happen.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 01:16 Jerykk

PropheT wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 23:56:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 23:05:
I wouldn't call them game changers. They are slight stat boosts at most.

Unless you trust them that it just doesn't, or read every piece of marketing fluff about the game prior to release, or wind up spending time researching which version to buy instead of just deciding you want to buy that game...

Um, you can just read the descriptions of the pre-order bonuses. Greater resistance to fire, larger splash radius for explosives, quieter window shattering, lower enemy accuracy, increased lung capacity, increased sword damage... these are all stat changes. I'm pretty sure none of them are significant enough to break the game, otherwise Arkane wouldn't have included them. They just make the game slightly easier. I plan on playing on the highest difficulty and ghosting my way through every mission so these stat bonuses are pretty irrelevant to me.

10. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 23:56 PropheT

I wouldn't call them game changers. They are slight stat boosts at most.

Unless you trust them that it just doesn't, or read every piece of marketing fluff about the game prior to release, or wind up spending time researching which version to buy instead of just deciding you want to buy that game...

9. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 23:27 wtf_man

I wouldn't call them game changers. They are slight stat boosts at most. It's not like you're getting new weapons, abilities or missions, as most other pre-order exclusives tend to do.

Make no mistake, I dislike pre-order and retailer exclusives as much as anyone else but these things are pretty minor compared to what most games give you.

Pretty much this, IMO.
It might affect the gameplay a little giving you an edge here or there... but I don't think any of that stuff adds very much to all you get from the base game. And if you feel it is drastically difficult without those Pre-order enhancements... use cheat codes.

/shrug

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2012, 23:51.

8. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 23:05 Jerykk

Dades wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 22:16:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 21:09:
Pretty much one of the dumbest rants RPS has put out.

Look at the bonuses, they aren't little cosmetic things but some are potential game changers. The rant is fine.

I wouldn't call them game changers. They are slight stat boosts at most. It's not like you're getting new weapons, abilities or missions, as most other pre-order exclusives tend to do.

Make no mistake, I dislike pre-order and retailer exclusives as much as anyone else but these things are pretty minor compared to what most games give you.

7. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 22:16 Dades

Look at the bonuses, they aren't little cosmetic things but some are potential game changers. The rant is fine.

6. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 21:53 Elf Shot The Food

Oh, is Rock Paper Shotgun still around?  

5. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 21:43 Overon

If any of these dlc's/special editions/bonuses get released on PC, you can bet that they will be all bundled in a nice easy to download pirate package.  

4. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 21:21 DangerDog

I Disagree, if you're going to put exclusive content into pre-orders then make it cosmetic crap that doesn't gimp the game itself.

Stupid marketing move on Bethesda's part, there's nothing saying you'll be able to put together a complete game after release through micro-transaction based DLC.

3. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 21:09 wtf_man

I'll wait and see what gets released on Steam... at most I may wait for a sale, or GOTY edition.
I expect that I'll still be be busy with GW2 anyway.

2. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 20:58 Tumbler

Ironically all these dumb things are why I don't preorder games anymore. If the content of the game is going to be all cut up then I'll wait till its a fraction of the new price.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2012, 20:42 Prez

I never understood the attraction to the tchotchkes developers have always included with games. All I ever wanted was the game, and if it was a complex war or flight sim, a manual to go with it.

I am just going to download the basic version from Steam anyway. All of the downloadable stuff will just be purchaseable dlc which you can grab for 49cents on the next Steam sale.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2012, 21:05.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo