Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 28, 2012, 01:19 jdreyer

sketch wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 17:15:
"He was playing 2-3 hours, and he fainted his eyes turned white, turned back, and we had to call the ambulance."
Consider this: In school, girls now outperform boys at every level.

Hahaha Just consider it! This cannot be so! Something is clearly wrong!

This article was extremely disappointing and pretty shitty journalism. They say that Zimbardo collected some data, but then they don't discuss what that is. Instead, they offer up some "scary" anecdotal evidence which may or may not be related to game playing.

A few things to keep in mind: correlation is not causation. Just b/c girls play less games on average than boys and get better grades does not mean there's a causation there. There might be, but show the fcking causation! Crime rates have also plummeted with the rise of video games, and I think there's a greater argument there for causation than grades.

That being said, there might be something there. Japanese youth, who are among the biggest game-playing populations in the world, are showing decreased motivations across the board, even toward sex. But show the metrics and the controls please!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2012, 20:02 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 14:44:
Skype still doesn't have proper push-to-talk... Really sad that I need a third-party applet running in the background to make that work like it should.

Have they ever added something to adjust sensitivity? Or can you here someone sleep from 3 rooms over? That alone made that app non workable for me.

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2012, 17:15 sketch

"He was playing 2-3 hours, and he fainted his eyes turned white, turned back, and we had to call the ambulance."
Consider this: In school, girls now outperform boys at every level.

Hahaha Just consider it! This cannot be so! Something is clearly wrong!

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2012, 14:44 jacobvandy

Skype still doesn't have proper push-to-talk... Really sad that I need a third-party applet running in the background to make that work like it should.  

3. Re: Skype: Nearly half of adults don't install software updates. Jul 27, 2012, 11:56 deqer

Bhruic wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 11:19:
You know what Skype? The reason I don't install your fucking updates is because you do shit like putting ads into voice chats. If you weren't such fucklenuts about trying to monetize Skype, you might have less people unwilling to update your damn software.

(yes, I know that applies to very few people in their "list", but it's still annoying)

Not to mention the fact that, yeah, developers often think they've put this "amazing fucking thing (tm)" into the program, but along with that (assuming people give a shit), comes a raft of other changes that we don't want that either breaks things, or changes things in ways that aren't helpful.

If you want automated updates, make them security related only. If you want to fuck around with the UI (I'm looking at you Steam!), or screw up the settings, make it fucking optional.
Exactly this. ^

I can't believe corps are so blind to the obviousness of what they're doing in their updates that they feel everything in their updates is okay enough for them to whine about people not installing the updates.

I mena, c'mon, we've been through this for years now. Everytime you install an update, you receive a bunch of shit you don't want.

---

The sad truth is that these corps will simply make it so you can no longer connect unless you update. Yup, corps are that low of scum to do something like that.

---

Hey AOL, thanks for fucking up Winamp.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2012, 11:42 Verno

Amen. I'm forced to use Skype to interact with friends and family who are too clueless to use Google Talk or etc, the software sucks. It's become quite bloated over time and since the Microsoft acquistion they've made some seriously bone headed moves like inserting advertisements into the fucking calls. It is extremely jarring and takes you right out of a conversation when you see an ad pop up in the stupid message window. Now I've heard they actually want to insert pre-recorded messages into the ads too, that adware is getting the boot if they go ahead with it.

What is it with Microsoft in general being so shitty with ads? Get a fucking clue and learn from Google. I was so disgusted with the state of XBL and the Metro adspam that I sold my 360.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

1. Re: Skype: Nearly half of adults don't install software updates. Jul 27, 2012, 11:19 Bhruic

You know what Skype? The reason I don't install your fucking updates is because you do shit like putting ads into voice chats. If you weren't such fucklenuts about trying to monetize Skype, you might have less people unwilling to update your damn software.

(yes, I know that applies to very few people in their "list", but it's still annoying)

Not to mention the fact that, yeah, developers often think they've put this "amazing fucking thing (tm)" into the program, but along with that (assuming people give a shit), comes a raft of other changes that we don't want that either breaks things, or changes things in ways that aren't helpful.

If you want automated updates, make them security related only. If you want to fuck around with the UI (I'm looking at you Steam!), or screw up the settings, make it fucking optional.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo