Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The opening ceremony for the Olympics is tonight. I'm sure I've ranted before about how silly I find this periodic obsession with sports no one follows played by athletes no one knows, so I'll just let it go. Well, you know, not counting the rant I just came out with, which the judges scored a 9.4.

R.I.P.: Andre Hedrick (Register). Thanks Ant.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Shiftarium.
Turbo Golf.
Links: 3 Reasons to Hate Casual Video Games.
Stories: Five guys take same photo for 30 years. Thanks nin.
Baumgartner makes test skydive ahead of record attempt. Thanks brother19.
Is Indiana Jones dead at last? Jumped (in) the fridge. Thanks nin.
Media: 2001- A Space Odyssey (2012 Trailer Recut).
Scientific Roadkill Experiment. It needed to be done.
Metroid Lore in a Minute.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 17:31 Prez

Transformer movies were horrible. Absolute caca. Each time I thought "It can't be worse then the last one, right?" and somehow it was...the two stereotypical "black" robots in the second one (talked in jive, had gold teeth, and pronounced ears) was really bizarre, too...

Okay the plots (such as they were) were ridiculous and the characterizations were laughably over the top, but the giant robot lover in me who has been there since I saw ny first Giant Robot Anime at 8 years old loved each "Transformers" movie in all of its big, dumb glory. I loved the big stompy robot throwdowns - seeing Prime and Megatron fight in the forest was a realization of a fantasy I has since I was in grammar school!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 17:25 Prez

After watching the Plinkett review I can honestly say that this guy gets why movies work and why they don't (it helps that he is a comedy genius as well, making his reviews amazingly entertaining). What he said about Indy 4 and why it was a bad idea to start with is exactly why I never got too excited to see it from the trailers. When people who saw it then started saying it was bad I just wrote it off.

His review of Avatar was spot on as well. Go watch that one (It's shorter too.)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 17:19 nin

Transformer movies were horrible. Absolute caca. Each time I thought "It can't be worse then the last one, right?" and somehow it was...the two stereotypical "black" robots in the second one (talked in jive, had gold teeth, and pronounced ears) was really bizarre, too...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 16:23 jdreyer

Not that Bay hasn't made some decent films. It's just that Transformers? Yeah. Wow.

The first Transformers is actually pretty good and one of Bay's better films. Interestingly, Spielberg was a producer on that first film, and many attribute the boy-and-his-robot part of the story to his influence.

He wasn't involved in the subsequent films, and it shows. They're Fcking awful. I couldn't even make it an hour into 3 before turning it off and returning it.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 14:13 Agent.X7

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 00:52:
I remember not bothering to see the last Indy movie because of how terrible everyone said it was, but not too long ago I was perusing through movie reviews by James Rolfe on Youtube (better known as the Angry Videogame Nerd or Angry Nintendo Nerd) since he does those too and he had a list of some of the most unfairly trashed movies in history and I think Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was number 2 (behind Ghostbusters 2 IIRC).

So, anyone have anything good to say about the last Indy film?

I liked it. It wasn't as good as either of the three before it, but it wasn't a bad movie. I mean, I've had people stand in my store and tell me how bad Kingdom was and then go on to praise Transformers. Really? I know it's all opinion, but...yeah. I'll take anything Spielberg makes over anything Bay makes any day of the week.

Not that Bay hasn't made some decent films. It's just that Transformers? Yeah. Wow.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 12:16 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 01:25:
Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 11:58:
Not to mention the costs and security for these things is way out of control. It seems that more people than not in the hosts cities for these things do not want them there. All this corruption and waste centered around games for what really amount to a hobby is ridiculous. Particularly these days when so many struggle to make ends meet.

Personally, I think the money would be much better spent if used in the space program.

There's a number of things the money that's used towards the games could go towards. I saw pictures last night of the big opening ceremony, and all I could think was "wow, if there's ever a case of the haves and the have nots, it's the olympics".

I'm not adverse to having them, but how many millions did that cost, just for last night? Vaccines, medical research, assisting those that need food or housing, the list goes on and on. And they're shooting massive fireworks and recreating harry potter! Whoo!

34. Re: the matrix has you Jul 28, 2012, 05:50 Dmitri_M

I don't pay much mind to the Olympics. No feelings towards it either way. If people want to build the stadiums and pay it off with their taxes for 20 years to come, shrug, so be it.

I also don't pay much attention to Americans saying the Olympics is a waste of time since I know that they despise anything international that didn't originate in America. That's ok, I understand

What's that Superbowl thing all about? Damn internet get's flooded with banner ads and articles about it each year. Shrug, I guess someone out there likes it.

space captain wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 16:26:
argghh!! i need help ignoring this! please automate my perception so i dont even see anything that disrupts my precious self-obsession! i cant operate my mind properly without mechanical assistance!
So says the Lord of the Flies on the island of the ignored Bluesnews members.

I don't bother with the ignore function. Not even Cutter.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 04:36 Prez

PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 02:01:

As a rabid Indiana Jones fan, I can safely say Crystal Skull is fucking terrible. Concern yourself in instances of cinema less with James Rolfe and more with Plinkett.

Plinkett Reviews Crystal Skull

Haha - I have fond memories of his Star Wars movie reviews. The only problem is his reviews are as long as the movies!

- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 03:47 Cutter

nin wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 15:12:
Blue, you really need to get the ignore function working again or get rid of these idiot trolls.

I can assure you it works great.

Effing d'oh!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 02:01 PHJF

As a rabid Indiana Jones fan, I can safely say Crystal Skull is fucking terrible. Concern yourself in instances of cinema less with James Rolfe and more with Plinkett.

Plinkett Reviews Crystal Skull

Steam + PSN: PHJF

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 01:25 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 11:58:
Not to mention the costs and security for these things is way out of control. It seems that more people than not in the hosts cities for these things do not want them there. All this corruption and waste centered around games for what really amount to a hobby is ridiculous. Particularly these days when so many struggle to make ends meet.

Personally, I think the money would be much better spent if used in the space program.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2012, 00:52 Prez

I remember not bothering to see the last Indy movie because of how terrible everyone said it was, but not too long ago I was perusing through movie reviews by James Rolfe on Youtube (better known as the Angry Videogame Nerd or Angry Nintendo Nerd) since he does those too and he had a list of some of the most unfairly trashed movies in history and I think Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was number 2 (behind Ghostbusters 2 IIRC).

- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2012, 19:48 NegaDeath

Even if they got a replacement for Indy I don't think Spielberg or Lucas (especially Lucas) have it in them anymore either. I've read a quote from Spielberg saying he thinks he's a different man than he was back in the 80's and just can't pull off the same movies anymore. So unless they give it to a new, talented team that both understands the series and has creative freedom I say just let it rest.  

27. Re: Is Indiana Jones dead at last? Jul 27, 2012, 18:44 Sepharo

DangerDog wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 18:00:
They should have made Fate of Atlantis into a movie, Ford is too old to play the part and I can't think of anyone who would make a good replacement.

Venturing into the "uncanny valley" is an option but not a very good one.

Fate of Atlantis is one of my favorite all time games but I'm not sure if Atlantean ghosts (which look like aliens) would go over any better than the crystal skull aliens.

Also Fate has three different middles, wonder which one they would go with.

26. Re: Is Indiana Jones dead at last? Jul 27, 2012, 18:00 DangerDog

They should have made Fate of Atlantis into a movie, Ford is too old to play the part and I can't think of anyone who would make a good replacement.

Venturing into the "uncanny valley" is an option but not a very good one.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2012, 17:59 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 11:54:
and I don't give a fuck whether an American can run 500m faster than a Kenyan.

Well you SHOULD - cause we CAN'T! hahahahha

(and although inapp. the comment by that hot chic about mosquitos....was actually funny....)

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24. the matrix has you Jul 27, 2012, 16:26 space captain

argghh!! i need help ignoring this! please automate my perception so i dont even see anything that disrupts my precious self-obsession! i cant operate my mind properly without mechanical assistance!  
Go forth, and kill!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2012, 15:35 nin

So PPFFFTTTRRFGLLPPFHFHHHGGH to all you nay-sayers, and yay for the Olympics.

/4 hours until the OC!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2012, 15:32 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 13:34:
Creston wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 13:24:
this periodic obsession with sports no one follows played by athletes no one knows

So because YOU don't watch it and don't know the athletes, means no-one watches it and knows the athletes?

Oooo...kay.

Creston

No, Blue has it spot on. There are a handful of famous atheletes - who only came out of obscurity - by winning - usually has to be several medals at least - before they become known. Ask anyone on the street to name even a handful of other athletes beside them and you just get blank looks.

And as linked from that Cracked article this sort of shit is precisely why it's long past due to do away with the olympics.

I will readily admit that the dealings BEHIND the Olympics are horseshit, and that the cost of hosting an Olympics has spiralled ridiculously out of control, but that has nothing to do with the sports (or the enjoyment thereof) itself. And considering the fact that an estimated 2 BILLION people watch the Olympics planet-wide, saying that it "needs to go away" is just beyond ludicrous. If you don't like it, don't watch it. 2 Billion people are probably really excited that the Olympics are starting again tonight. I know I am.

(Edit, btw, that article deals with them selling access to car lanes. I realize that that's something beyond all understanding here in the US and probably Canada, but in Europe that's actually fairly normal. There are plenty of places that have bus lanes that you can buy access to, and carpool lanes that you can buy access to, and "priority lanes" that you can ONLY get on if you buy access to them. So there was little that was all that shocking in that particular article.)

As for the "known" thing, why does it matter? If someone is performing sports at the peak of ability, who cares whether or not it's someone famous, or whether some schlep on the street knows who it is? If you ask that same schlep who his current Senator is, he likely won't know either. So should all senators just go away too? (Wait... don't answer that. )

(And anyway, from the athletes performing at the Olympics, I know (at least by name and recognition) athletes, tennis players, basketball players, hockey players, soccer players, baseball players, swimmers, cyclists, (dutch) Judokas, and if you count winter Olympics I know basically every speed skater, every skieer, every ski jumper, etc.)

So PPFFFTTTRRFGLLPPFHFHHHGGH to all you nay-sayers, and yay for the Olympics.

/4 hours until the OC!

Creston

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2012, 15:12 nin

Blue, you really need to get the ignore function working again or get rid of these idiot trolls.

I can assure you it works great.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo