Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September

The Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Website is now accepting preorders of the upcoming Baldur's Gate revival, saying we should expect the PC edition on September 18th. Here's word on what this will include:

Running on an upgraded and improved version of the Infinity Engine, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition™ includes the entire Baldur's Gate adventure, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, and never before seen content including a new adventure, and three new party members: The Calishite Monk Rasaad yn Bashir, Neera the Wild Mage, and Dorn Il-Khan, the evil blackguard.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Windows contains the following enhancements:

• New Adventure: The Black Pits
        • New Character: Dorn Il-Khan
        • New Character: Neera the Wild Mage
        • New Character: Rasaad yn Bashir
        • A new collection of player character voice sets
        • Native support for high resolution widescreen displays
        • Over 400 improvements to the original game
        • Improved multiplayer support, with connectivity between all platforms

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Windows will be available as a direct download from Beamdog, with no client install necessary. Pre-purchasing will allow you to preload the game, so you can access it immediately after release.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

24. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 00:34 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:54:
I still remember all those CRPGs backwards and forwards. I cherish the memories but have little desire to play them again. Bring on the new CRPGs! Onwards and upwards! Excelsior!
The problem is the current generation of gamers have the attention span of fruit flies. Or perhaps fruit flies mating, the chances of seeing new good CRPGs like BG/BG2/PS:T/IWD/IWD2 are very slim.

Though in realms of 3d stuff? At least some of the current crop isn't bad.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 00:06 Dev

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:59:
entr0py wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:41:
I hope I'm wrong about this but the screen shots just look sort of like they applied some Photoshop filters to everything. It would be nice to see a high resolution video. And to know the new native resolution for that matter.

That might be the real deal. There is nothing stating other wise in the list.

A new adventure, 3 new characters, some new voices, support for widescreen (not HD screens, just widescreen support), numerous "improvements" (maybe bug fixes? Doesn't state anything about new art so some of them might be photoshop filters and newer OS support) and improved multiplayer. Nothing about updated art.
Last I checked the biggest thing they were talking about was redoing the menu UI to run in higher res, in large part because of the resolution of the ipad. And redoing the interface to work with touch, again because of the ipad. And re-enabling the disabled unfinished content from the original devs which probably didn't take a lot of work. The rest? Who knows where its from. I wouldn't be surprised if it was from community fixes.

From everything I've seen, they are just grabbing cheap licenses from interplay and giving it a GoG like treatment to try and promote their beamdog service with exclusive downloads. Maybe now they will make some money from putting MDK 2 HD on steam. Hopefully the exclusive beamdog downloads are just going to be timed exclusives to try and suck people over to their service.

22. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 23:14 Prez

Note that MDK2 HD (Overhaul's previous title) came out on steam recently. I hoping these remakes eventually make it there, too...

That's what I'm hoping for too.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:54 Cutter

I still remember all those CRPGs backwards and forwards. I cherish the memories but have little desire to play them again. Bring on the new CRPGs! Onwards and upwards! Excelsior!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

20. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:53 sauron

I'd grab it for Android for sure, but already have the GOG version for PC.

Would love to try it on my Acer Android tablet - it runs a ton of other games beautifully. NVidia hardware plus Droid seems like a great gaming platform.

Kittens!

19. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:51 MattyC

PHJF wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:17:
It didn't "luck out". Infinity Engine was a brilliant adaptation (or port, really) of D&D to PC. Sure, Baldur's Gate was rough around the edges (and all those edges were brilliantly smoothed over via its sequel), but every year or so when I get a hankering for some classic cRPG I always start where Infinity started, with Baldur's Gate. I wish to god BioWare had stuck with what worked and kept making actual RPGs instead of these dumb fucking Mass Effects.

To be fair the first Mass Effect was really pretty good. It had some rough edges, but it was solid overall. The series did seem, at least imo, to go downhill from there though.

18. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:27 Mad Max RW

Meh. The only thing that would get me excited about a Baldur's Gate rerelease is porting it to the TOEE engine.  

17. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:17 PHJF

It didn't "luck out". Infinity Engine was a brilliant adaptation (or port, really) of D&D to PC. Sure, Baldur's Gate was rough around the edges (and all those edges were brilliantly smoothed over via its sequel), but every year or so when I get a hankering for some classic cRPG I always start where Infinity started, with Baldur's Gate. I wish to god BioWare had stuck with what worked and kept making actual RPGs instead of these dumb fucking Mass Effects.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:17 NKD

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:59:
I hope I'm wrong about this but the screen shots just look sort of like they applied some Photoshop filters to everything. It would be nice to see a high resolution video. And to know the new native resolution for that matter.

A new adventure, 3 new characters, some new voices, support for widescreen (not HD screens, just widescreen support), numerous "improvements" (maybe bug fixes? Doesn't state anything about new art so some of them might be photoshop filters and newer OS support) and improved multiplayer. Nothing about updated art.

Supposedly the original artwork that the backgrounds were created from was lost, and it's doubtful they could redo all the art throughout the entire game. So it's probably just some smoothing filters.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:08 Silicon Avatar

I always thought that BG lucked out and released at the right time rather than being all that awesome in and of itself. There are a lot of RPGs out there now, so I think I'll pass on the redo.

14. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:59 Kitkoan

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

13. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:58 PHJF

It doesn't look like they did anything visually except remove/rework the fog of war. That dithering was some ugly stuff.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:41 entr0py

11. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:39 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 21:29:
I don't mind the price. I would, however, like to see some screenshots...even if it looks identical to the original release, it's past time they showed what they've been working on.

They have what looks like 3 on that link.

Screen shot 1 2 3

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

10. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:35 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:23:
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Windows will be available as a direct download from Beamdog

Note that MDK2 HD (Overhaul's previous title) came out on steam recently. I hoping these remakes eventually make it there, too...

Still find it funny as hell to hear Minsc's voice in clone wars...

Heh, I love the voice work in the original BG.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

9. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:29 nin

I don't mind the price. I would, however, like to see some screenshots...even if it looks identical to the original release, it's past time they showed what they've been working on.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:29 Dev

nin wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:23:
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Windows will be available as a direct download from Beamdog

Still find it funny as hell to hear Minsc's voice in clone wars...

Oh really? I might actually buy it then. Because up until now it was just trying to grab marketshare for beamdog, and didn't look like they actually did much to improve the game. I wonder if they are giving up that idea, or just having an exclusivity period of selling it on beamdog.

BTW, keep in mind most of the improvements for baldurs gate were already partly completed assets and in the game, beamdog just finished them off. I'm going to wait for reviews to see if they actually took care of polishing the PC version rather than focusing almost entirely on the ipad stuff like their previous interviews and pictures seemed to.

7. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 21:15 Jivaro

I will probably buy it on both iPad and PC. To me, buying it on iPad is no different then buying a favorite book on the Kindle. I already have Avadon: The Black Fortress on iPad and love it. As for the PC version, I don't know if I "have to" wait for a Steam version, but if it was on Steam and used the cloud save feature..that would be relevant to my interests.  

6. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 20:52 wtf_man

I'd really like to see the iPad version in action on Youtube or something... if the controls suck, then I'll probably only get the PC version.  

5. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 20:51 Mashiki Amiketo

The Beregost bug isn't actually a bug, it's a type of test. Just to see how dedicated to playing the game you truly are.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo