Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September

The Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Website is now accepting preorders of the upcoming Baldur's Gate revival, saying we should expect the PC edition on September 18th. Here's word on what this will include:

Running on an upgraded and improved version of the Infinity Engine, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition™ includes the entire Baldur's Gate adventure, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, and never before seen content including a new adventure, and three new party members: The Calishite Monk Rasaad yn Bashir, Neera the Wild Mage, and Dorn Il-Khan, the evil blackguard.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Windows contains the following enhancements:

• New Adventure: The Black Pits
        • New Character: Dorn Il-Khan
        • New Character: Neera the Wild Mage
        • New Character: Rasaad yn Bashir
        • A new collection of player character voice sets
        • Native support for high resolution widescreen displays
        • Over 400 improvements to the original game
        • Improved multiplayer support, with connectivity between all platforms

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Windows will be available as a direct download from Beamdog, with no client install necessary. Pre-purchasing will allow you to preload the game, so you can access it immediately after release.

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

44. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 09:16 nin

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 09:04:
pagb wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 04:30:
As much as I want this... Steam or GTFO

If Steam, no sale.

Why? You could still get it through moondawg. No one said it had to be exclusive to steam...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 09:13 Mashiki Amiketo

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 09:04:
If Steam, no sale.
Yep. Still can't figure out all the steam hate.

But not putting this through steam is just a bad idea, limiting sales options is a bad idea. You'd think, if you're in the business of making money you'd try to sell it though as many points as possible, but hey what do I know?

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

42. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 09:04 Muscular Beaver

pagb wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 04:30:

If Steam, no sale.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

41. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 08:58 eRe4s3r

NWN also had the worst OC's of all Bioware games, ever. I mean literally, ALL OC's, including expansions were HORRIBLE trite. There are very few community modules that are awesome, some are even grand. But it is telling that bioware does not even APPROACH the quality and writing density community modules have.  

40. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 08:01 Armengar

BG good but I doubt I could go back to second edition now. It took me a long time to forget those XP tables and I dont intend learning them again.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

39. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 05:59 Moog

Oh dear, it's not on Steam - what a stupid decision!  

38. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 04:30 pagb

37. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 03:50 Muscular Beaver

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:08:
I always thought that BG lucked out and released at the right time rather than being all that awesome in and of itself. There are a lot of RPGs out there now, so I think I'll pass on the redo.

Go away.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

36. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 03:31 InBlack

PHJF wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:17:
It didn't "luck out". Infinity Engine was a brilliant adaptation (or port, really) of D&D to PC. Sure, Baldur's Gate was rough around the edges (and all those edges were brilliantly smoothed over via its sequel), but every year or so when I get a hankering for some classic cRPG I always start where Infinity started, with Baldur's Gate. I wish to god BioWare had stuck with what worked and kept making actual RPGs instead of these dumb fucking Mass Effects.

All true, except it wasnt an adaptation of D&D but rather AD&D. There is a significant difference.
Truthfully I always thought the AD&D ruleset to be a clunky and horrible ruleset both in pen&paper roleplaying and in the various PC adaptations. 3rd edition D&D was much, much better in both regards. Its a shame that Icewind Dale (1 & 2) got the better ruleset but had a much weaker storyline than BG1 & 2.

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 03:14 Cram

They have my $20. BG is something I could play 1000x over. I'm willing to fork over $20, show me you have the potential to hit me up with a new game in the BG franchise someday.  

34. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 03:10 Dev

kgub wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:34:
The developers are not copy/pasting the work that modders did, but are using the data gathered by the community (mostly the modders) since the game's release as a checklist for what fixes to include. They fully acknowledge the contributions the community has made and are even collaborating with some modders, which is very cool.
If thats the case, its good news, and much better than I've come to expect from beamdog. You say they acknowledge the contributions, but I haven't seen them do so, do you have any links?
kgub wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:39:
On voice acting: I think you are mis-informed about that. I know that they recently did voice acting casting / recording sessions, so again, they're not copy/pasting.
I'll be impressed if thats the case. Good voice acting isn't cheap.

33. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 01:39 kgub

Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:23:
The soundsets are likely to be community voice sets as well. For example, the ones on this page:
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_soundsets_portraits.php

Again, I wonder if they will be acknowledged.
kgub wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:23:
No. PC and Mac players get all of the new content included in the price.
Well I changed the wording on my post. Its confusing if thats the case, because the windows page still has that disclaimer in dark hard to read text on it.

On voice acting: I think you are mis-informed about that. I know that they recently did voice acting casting / recording sessions, so again, they're not copy/pasting.

32. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 01:34 kgub

Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:10:
The "over 400 improvements" are likely these community fixpacks:
http://www.forgottenwars.com/dudleyfix/fixpacks.htm
If you add them up, there's a little over 400 fixes in those fixpacks. Which makes me wonder if they are even going to acknowledge them.

The developers are not copy/pasting the work that modders did, but are using the data gathered by the community (mostly the modders) since the game's release as a checklist for what fixes to include. They fully acknowledge the contributions the community has made and are even collaborating with some modders, which is very cool.

31. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 01:30 StingingVelvet

Too expensive for me, for what it is. I have the GOG version and the appropriate mods. I would basically be paying $20 for the new characters and added DRM.  

30. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 01:23 Dev

The soundsets are likely to be community voice sets as well. For example, the ones on this page:
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG/index_soundsets_portraits.php

Again, I wonder if they will be acknowledged.
kgub wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:23:
Well I changed the wording on my post. Its confusing if thats the case, because the windows page still has that disclaimer in dark hard to read text on it.

29. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 01:23 kgub

Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:06:
BTW, two of the new characters are exclusive to ipad/android in-app purchases and cannot be acquired on PC so they can get more money.

*Neera the Wild Mage and Dorn Il-Khan are available as in-app purchases on iPad and Android Tablet.
http://www.baldursgate.com/

28. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 01:19 Kitkoan

Dev wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:10:
If you add them up, there's a little over 400 fixes in those fixpacks. Which makes me wonder if they are even going to acknowledge them.

Maybe they will add to the credits "And thanks to all whom help keep BG alive all this time"?

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

27. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 01:10 Dev

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2012, 01:17.

26. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 01:06 Dev

BTW, two of the new characters look like they may be exclusive to ipad/android in-app purchases so they can get more money.

Hidden in dark text at the bottom
*Neera the Wild Mage and Dorn Il-Khan are available as in-app purchases on iPad and Android Tablet.
http://baldursgate.com/windows.en.html
http://www.baldursgate.com/

I can't tell if they are on the PC version or not, since that text is on the PC version page.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2012, 01:20.

25. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 00:58 Silicon Avatar

PHJF wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:17:
It didn't "luck out". Infinity Engine was a brilliant adaptation (or port, really) of D&D to PC. Sure, Baldur's Gate was rough around the edges (and all those edges were brilliantly smoothed over via its sequel), but every year or so when I get a hankering for some classic cRPG I always start where Infinity started, with Baldur's Gate. I wish to god BioWare had stuck with what worked and kept making actual RPGs instead of these dumb fucking Mass Effects.

Did you try NWN? I thought it was a much better computer estimation of D&D. It even had a DM mode and users could make their own mods.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo