Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop Interested in Digital Resales

GameSpot has an interesting quote from GameStop CEO Paul Raines, who describes their interest in getting into the (currently nonexistent) market for selling pre-owned digital content. "Its very interesting," he said. "There are some technologies out there in Europe, and weve looked at a couple that are involved. Were interested; its not a meaningful business yet. Right now were not seeing that as a huge market, but I think were on the leading edge. There are a few companies, a few start-ups, out there that weve talked to that are doing this."

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 27, 2012, 00:29 NKD

loomy wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 00:11:
lol there are people here trying to justify why we should lose the right to own what we buy and do with it what we please. sorry chaps you'll have to strangle yourself alone, I won't be joining you.

It has nothing to do with some ethereal argument about rights, and everything to do with whether or not implementing a service to allow you to exercise that "right" would ultimately be helpful. It would not.

There isn't really a solid argument to be made that it would NOT decrease sales. In fact, proponents of this idea readily admit that it would do so.

Publishers would, by necessity, have to then de-emphasize initial "box sales" in their business model. That's not conjecture, that's business fact. If the well dries up, you go somewhere else. If box sales dry up, you go to cash shops, online DRM, monthly fees, non-transferable DLCs bought directly from publisher, and god knows what else.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 27, 2012, 00:28 TheEmissary

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:32:
TheEmissary wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:58:
Only problem with this is that a digital product doesn't degrade like a physical product does. You can't treat it the same because of that very reason. There would be no difference between a new copy and used copy at that point.

I would rather see some one develop a rental system for PC games than reintroducing a used or second hand market.

You are wrong about the degradation aspect of this. A car might gain mileage, but software gains obsolescence! Are you honestly going to tell me that WordPerfect 3.0 still has the same value today as it did when it was released? Or Call of Duty 1?

The reality is that software degrades just like every other product, only, since it is not physical, the degradation is not based on its structure. It degrades because technology advances, and last year's software is not as capable as this year's. Likewise, this year's computers can do more (and leverage more software) than last year's. That is why people upgrade in the first place.

Only someone with no understanding of economics and technology could assert that NHL 98 hasn't degraded in it's desirability and value since it was released. Yeah, that's why everyone still plays it instead of lining up for the newest release from EA every year </sarcasm>... Wall

If the software is still being sold new it isn't obsolete as far the distributor and publisher is concerned. You might have point if and only if the software was out of print/distribution.

The point I am trying to make is that reselling a "used" digital copy is going to have no appreciable difference to new copy. Especially If it is a game that is say a day or a month old as the demand is still every high. All it is going to do is funnel money that would have went to the developer straight to a company that is going to recycle a license key about a hundred times.

The response to this is probably going to be pretty nasty more day-0 DLC, more season multiplayer packs, and or DRM schemes that prevent it. Possibly some other games switching to freemium model.

16. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 27, 2012, 00:11 loomy

lol there are people here trying to justify why we should lose the right to own what we buy and do with it what we please. sorry chaps you'll have to strangle yourself alone, I won't be joining you.  

15. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 27, 2012, 00:07 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:30:
Be careful what you wish for.
Pretty much this. I would love to be able to resell my digital games, but I'm under no delusion that it would be good for the industry as a whole. PC gaming is already teetering on the brink; something like this would push the remaining major developers towards MP-only games and/or server-side games like Diablo 3 (where in either case they can fully prevent you from reselling the game). It would be the end of SP as we know it.

14. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 23:01 Jerykk

JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:53:
A gray digital market is almost as bad as piracy, as far as developers are concerned.

Just like car manufacturers would LOVE it if nobody could buy used cars. And furniture manufacturers would LOVE it if nobody could buy used furniture. I could go on forever, and that's why I think that this argument is simply ridiculous. I bought it, I own it, I should be able to resell it. What's next, manufacturers of EVERYTHING trying to make it impossible for anybody to ever sell anything used?

There's a pretty practical reason for allowing resales of cars and furniture. Aside from physical degradation over time, those things are large, heavy objects that are difficult to store and even harder to dispose of if you weren't allowed to resell them. It wouldn't be practical or cost-effective to force everyone to keep their cars/furniture or dump them at a disposal site.

Conversely, games don't have this issue. Physical discs are small and compact, making them easy to store and dispose of. Digital games bypass these concerns entirely.

13. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 22:32 Eirikrautha

Only problem with this is that a digital product doesn't degrade like a physical product does. You can't treat it the same because of that very reason. There would be no difference between a new copy and used copy at that point.

I would rather see some one develop a rental system for PC games than reintroducing a used or second hand market.

You are wrong about the degradation aspect of this. A car might gain mileage, but software gains obsolescence! Are you honestly going to tell me that WordPerfect 3.0 still has the same value today as it did when it was released? Or Call of Duty 1?

The reality is that software degrades just like every other product, only, since it is not physical, the degradation is not based on its structure. It degrades because technology advances, and last year's software is not as capable as this year's. Likewise, this year's computers can do more (and leverage more software) than last year's. That is why people upgrade in the first place.

Only someone with no understanding of economics and technology could assert that NHL 98 hasn't degraded in it's desirability and value since it was released. Yeah, that's why everyone still plays it instead of lining up for the newest release from EA every year </sarcasm>... Wall

12. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 22:30 NKD

Let me give an example of why digital resale doesn't work:

A game is released. People have to buy it new for a couple days because there are no "used" digital licenses for sale. But after a few days used volume from people who have beat or don't like the game becomes sufficient to sate demand and there is no reason to buy new. None. Absolutely none. The difference between Used and New is whether you press the "New" button or the "Used" button.

And the Used button is cheaper.

It's like having a button that says "Buy Cheap" or "Buy Expensive". Who the fuck is gonna choose expensive when there is zero incentive to do so?

Lets generously assume this would only cut developers sales in half as that half is endlessly recirculated in the digital resale market due to convenience. That's enough to sink many studios.

We love to complain about DLC and monthly fees and cash shops to no end around here, but if they could no longer make enough money off retail sales due to a massive and convenient second hand market, they will find their money elsewhere, and you won't like it.

Be careful what you wish for.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 22:26 Sepharo

I don't know why anyone would expect that they should be able to sell sequences of 1's and 0's off of their machine that they did not design. Now if we're talking about reselling a license... That's different. But when you're granted a license you accept the conditions of licensor and those conditions often stipulate that you can't resell the license.

I bought Louis C.K.'s comedy album from his website, should I be able to resell it?

I bought Stephen King's new Dark Tower book on my Kindle, should I be able to resell it?

10. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 22:05 Wolfen

"GameStop Interested in Digital Resales"

You don't say?!

9. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 21:08 JohnBirshire

Less ridiculous an argument than comparing a piece of software that costs as much as a single meal on sale, to the 2nd (or most) valuable thing people own, other than a house/flat? Really?

Huh? The car thing was just an example of one of the billions of things you can buy/sell used. *but for some reason video games are exempt from it...for now*

So far I have not seen a SINGLE valid argument for not being able to resell video games, other than "The developer makes less money". Every developer or manufacturer of ANYTHING would make more money if people could ONLY buy new. But that would be ridiculous right? That's why this entire argument is hypocritical.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 21:15.

8. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 21:04 JohnBirshire

Hmmm, don't know that I really buy that argument. I can buy something brand new, decide I don't want it, and sell it. Nothing was degraded.

That's what digital sales are right now. You rent it forever for a one time fee of $60. You don't own it, so you can't resell it.

7. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 21:02 Bet

JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:53:
A gray digital market is almost as bad as piracy, as far as developers are concerned.

Just like car manufacturers would LOVE it if nobody could buy used cars. And furniture manufacturers would LOVE it if nobody could buy used furniture. I could go on forever, and that's why I think that this argument is simply ridiculous. I bought it, I own it, I should be able to resell it. What's next, manufacturers of EVERYTHING trying to make it impossible for anybody to ever sell anything used?
Less ridiculous an argument than comparing a piece of software that costs as much as a single meal on sale, to the 2nd (or most) valuable thing people own, other than a house/flat? Really?

6. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 20:58 TheEmissary

5. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 20:53 JohnBirshire

4. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 20:51 JohnBirshire

Maybe they could make it work for all parties involved; the seller, Gamestop, and even the developer get a percentage of the resale price. Original buyer is able to sell his copy, and therefore has more money to buy more games. The second buyer is able to afford the resale price, so therefore buys a game he originally might not have. Gamestop, who may have sold the original copy, now has two purchases instead of one. The developer, who only would have made money off the first purchase, now makes it off both.

3. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 20:44 Bet

Devinoch wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:31:
Please remain non-existent, market. It's hard enough making games as it is.
A gray digital market is almost as bad as piracy, as far as developers are concerned... truly dark times ahead if this rolls out.

No better than trying to sell the blood plasma from a dead body.

2. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 20:44 JohnBirshire

It's capitalism. If the demand is there for people who want to buy/sell digital content, a smart company is going to come up with a legitimate way for them to do so. And a company like Gamestop, facing having all of it's retail stores closed down as physical copies of games become non-existent, has all the more reason to be that company.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 20:51.

1. Re: GameStop Interested in Digital Resales Jul 26, 2012, 20:31 Devinoch

Please remain non-existent, market. It's hard enough making games as it is.  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo