Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Flight Grounded

Microsoft has cancelled development of Microsoft Flight, as well as Project Columbia, described as "a Kinect interactive TV project designed for children" by Kotaku. The site originally reported that the entire Vancouver studio responsible for these games was being shut down, but an update from MS clarifies that these projects are at an end, but not the studio itself. Here's the official statement:

Microsoft Studios is always evaluating its portfolio of products to determine what is best for gamers, families and the company, and this decision was the result of the natural ebb and flow of our portfolio management. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to stop development on "Microsoft Flight" and "Project Columbia," but we feel it will help us better align with our long-term goals and development plans. For "Microsoft Flight," we will continue to support the community that has embraced the title and the game will still be available to download for free at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Aug 2, 2012, 10:36 nin

Or even Crimson Skies.

I thought Jordan owned the license now? Not positive...also thought there were hints they might do a KS for it, once Shadowrun is done.

edit: Here we go.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Aug 2, 2012, 10:34 sauron

Flatline wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 13:06:
If we're really lucky maybe this means we'll get a FS 11.

Or a remake of Combat Flight Simulator 2. Or even Crimson Skies. For some reason I loved both games.

Granted the latter isn't really a flight simulator, but it let you blow up zeppelins over tropical islands and so gets a free pass.

Kittens!

42. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 20:17 The Raven

I am not surprised. They charged a buttload for unfinished (no cockpit) planes. If they charget $2 for a new plane, rather than $9, the adoption rate would have been a lot higher. When a selling feature of your newest DLC is that it isn't incomplete like the last 5, there is an issue.  

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven

41. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 20:13 Dmitri_M

I want to meet the pissant who thought MS Flight Simulator could be dumbed down and see increased profits. I bet it's some 27 year old kid who grew up playing N64 on his couch (I like to have a clear identifiable target for my dissatisfaction, we need more of that). Flight sims are a niche market with an established fan base. Their sales must have been predictable, they must have been profitable relative to their budget.. This is just greed. MS FS must sell COD numbers! It seems if a franchise isn't selling 5 million units it's deemed a failure.  

40. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 19:53 Wildone

lmao kinect  

39. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 19:52 Closed Betas

I'm seriously to the point that MS should just get the fuck out of the game market.. They are clueless money lubbing idiots, that they would market they're way out of the greatest content ever produced, if they could somehow muster up that content.. (Fat chance)

I spent some time TRYING to help them in AOE Online.. what a bunch of asshole snobs they were, and their products and systems were complete shit annoying the fucking people that helped them for FREE, and they're attitudes prove to me, this company can't succeed ever again in this realm.

Yeah, as soon as I seen the DLC on a F2P game totalling over $100, yeah it was obviously another marketing failure before it even started... Nice try, make a game only MAJOR SIM FANS WOULD LOVE, and skip on the SIM, lol failboat 101

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 19:59.

38. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 19:37 DedEye

I'm always interested in a new sim but as others have pointed out this had nothing: no physics, scenery, traffic, flight plan...

To the person who designed this: if it was feature creep or an extremely limited budget, I feel for ya. If not, I have to ask how long exactly did you think people would enjoy flying around doing......nothing? New planes with no pits?!

Any other propheads out there might want to know that Rise of Flight is having a big sale until I think the 28th. While I prefer aircraft that are a little more modern it's probably the best flight sim out today.

37. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 19:32 Panickd

Meh. I enjoyed flying around Hawaii just for grins but none of the DLC came cheap. Although I came real close to buying the whole Hawaii Island Adventure pack that includes the other islands during the Steam summer sale. But even then it wasn't discounted all that much. I think a F2P flight sim was an awesome idea and it probably would've gone over well if they weren't charging through the nose for every little thing. Clearly they were aiming this at the hardcore sim buffs (the only people crazy enough to drop a lot of money on a pack with a single plane in it) and they missed their mark pretty widely.  

36. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 19:16 nin

SM0k3 wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:55:
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:43:
Wildone wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:29:
The next FS will be side scrolling 2d, so the console kiddies get too flustered with having to fly in '3d'

Nownow let's give them some credit they wouldn't dumb it down that much.

Instead they'll make it a 360 Kinect only game where you hold your arms out like wings and pretend your a plane. Wooooooosh! Vroooom! Look at me ma I'm flyin!

Tongue

LOL'd pretty hard at that visual! Thanks

It was apart of MS' E3 presentation this year...you hold out your arms and guide the plane into a tower...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

35. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 17:25 ViRGE

Well that's unfortunate. I know the FSX purists didn't care for it, but I thought it was fun and enjoyed it.

At this point does MS have any more PC-exclusive games in development?

34. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 16:55 SM0k3

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:43:
The next FS will be side scrolling 2d, so the console kiddies get too flustered with having to fly in '3d'

Instead they'll make it a 360 Kinect only game where you hold your arms out like wings and pretend your a plane. Wooooooosh! Vroooom! Look at me ma I'm flyin!

Tongue

LOL'd pretty hard at that visual! Thanks

33. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 16:43 NegaDeath

Tongue

32. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 16:29 Wildone

31. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 16:24 SM0k3

I'm surprised it took this long. I understand that they were trying to get new users into the flight genre but the flight dynamics had been "dumbed down" so much that there was really no challenge at all. it's ok Microsoft, just give us a proper FS11 and all is forgiven!

30. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 16:13 Prez

Microsoft Flight was so watered down from previous MS Flight Sims that you could fly it with a damn 360 controller. The graphics were bland, the world lifeless and boring, and the flight model was laughably over-simplified. Had the game itself been at all compelling the issue with the DLC would have been less of a moot point, but as it was they could offered all of the DLC for free and it would have changed nothing.

Microsoft committed to PC gaming? Please...

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 15:32 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 14:19:
Creston wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 14:15:
Well, that didn't take long. Less than a year?

Creston

Feb 29th, 2012...not even 5 months...

Shit... I'm sure you'll feel happy if you bought DLC for this... :\

Creston

28. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 15:23 NegaDeath

I used to think GFWL was terrible because the developers are inept. With all the anti-PC moves MS has made the last few years I'm starting to think GFWL being terrible is intentional sabotage.  

27. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 15:19 xXBatmanXx

Quboid wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 13:49:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 13:33:
I am actually surprised they didn't change the biz model for Flight to the Railworks model. Pay for each plane and location.....

Isn't that way they did? Confused

No idea - game doesn't matter to me - didn't even go look. Just like MSFT bashin! Its fun.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

26. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 15:08 theyarecomingforyou

Microsoft doesn't give a shit about PC gaming. If they did then we'd see PC ports of games like Halo 4 and Gears of War 4 confirmed with DX11 features and a simultaneous release with the console version. Other publishers are going out of their way to do proper PC versions and yet Microsoft - developers of the Windows platform - are actively buying up franchises and blocking them from coming to PC.

Microsoft Flight was an attempt to dumb down a traditional PC franchise and - like Age Of Empires Online - was designed to dramatically increase the total cost of ownership. To own all the content it costs 62/$100, which is more than twice what a conventional game costs. F2P is a crock of shit.

If Microsoft wants to win over PC gamers then the first thing they need to do is scrap GFWL, which is an unbelievable pain in the ass. I went to play Arkham City on a different computer because I saw that it supported Steam Cloud but no, GFWL fucks that up good and proper. I really hope that Valve gets Linux support right just to get Microsoft to stop treating the PC market with contempt.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

25. Re: Microsoft Flight Grounded Jul 26, 2012, 14:54 Verno

They're doing a piss-poor job and I question their commitment too, but not because they've canned a rubbish game.

Sure but it's not just another game out of a dozen or something, otherwise I'd agree with you. This was literally one of their projects that they claimed was a sign of their commitment to PC gaming (dubious or not). So saying "so much for their commitment to the PC" isn't exactly unreasonable considering they have next to no actual PC projects and just finished killing this one after a short period of time.

When they announce something in its place or show case some other projects then I'll reconsider. I'm not counting that "exclusive" Metro game that looked like it was made for kids though

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 15:01.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo