Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 27, 2012, 10:11 HorrorScope

The soon the realize the casual fan is really a fad fan, they will then go back to the sure thing of hardcore $$$'s and cater.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2012, 15:28 Verno

eunichron wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 14:29:
Half the problem with the big providers in the first place was government intervention. The government gave them massive subsidies to increase broadband connectivity, and all they did was change their definitions of "broadband" so that they didn't have to expand their infrastructure, then pocketed the cash.

I'm all for free markets, I'd even say I side with the anarcho-capitalists on a lot of issues, but the big 3 telecoms need a punch in the face.

Well said. Many of them lined their pockets with taxpayer money or invested in wireless networks.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2012, 14:29 eunichron

Half the problem with the big providers in the first place was government intervention. The government gave them massive subsidies to increase broadband connectivity, and all they did was change their definitions of "broadband" so that they didn't have to expand their infrastructure, then pocketed the cash.

I'm all for free markets, I'd even say I side with the anarcho-capitalists on a lot of issues, but the big 3 telecoms need a punch in the face.

And right on the heels Google announces Google Fiber including a no monthly cost plan with a one time construction fee of $300. I guess if anyone is able to give AT&T. Verizon, and Comcast a run for their money it's Google.

https://fiber.google.com/about/

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 16:44.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2012, 12:30 Ray Marden

Hey, they have to churn out an 8% increase in profits somehow!

What do you expect? Competition? Expansion of service? Decreasing consumer cost?
Or just monopolistic raping?
Thinking Zynga needs to go away,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2012, 12:08 Cutter

I don't understand why an essential service even needs subsidies when these guys massively overcharge already. If AT&T, Verizon, etc. won't build into rural areas then the government should fine them until they comply or find companies that will. At the very least they should be absolutely forbidden from issuing any sort of challenge to community based broadband when the people decide to do it themselves.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2012, 11:34 nin

The Facebook IPO still amazes me...can't believe people jumped on it, much less put their life savings into it, only to watch it fall....

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2012, 11:27 Silicon Avatar

Zynga? A fad? Say it ain't so! I never would have guessed. :O

Seriously, Zynga and Facebook are both bubble/fads waiting to pop. Anyone in tech with half a brain could have told investors that.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo