Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record

Stardock announces that Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is smashing all the company's previous sales records. They offer some details on this, including some praise for the impact of sales on Steam, clearly putting the rivalry over once having owned the competing Impulse service in the rearview:

• The company has sold more than 100,000 copies digitally to date of Rebellion
  • The company’s internal projections factored in a large “cannibalization” percentage of its own direct sales through its web site and sales from its former digital distribution platform Impulse (now owned and operated by GameStop.)
    • Sale stats showed that Steam sales did NOT cannibalize those sales
    • Steam sales instead replaced what Stardock has usually seen via sell-in at retail

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

9. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 19:16 Dev

BTW, the linked announcement contains more info. Worth a read.
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:14:
The power of Steam.
Now if only someone at matrix games would get a clue from this and put something like distant worlds on steam, instead of trying to sell a paltry few games at its current $100 price.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 19:14 Prez

There were even community optimization mods for the previous game it got so bad

Can you recommend one? I never figured out which one to use.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 19:08 Prez

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 18:07:
Darks wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:44:
You might want to check your pc or get a better internet connection. I play this game regularly for at least 5 hours at a time. And we never get any lag. I’m not sure what your system is running, but the new engine they came out with for this game has the game running pretty damn smooth.

Game lag not internet lag, I only play single player. And late or large game slowdown happens to pretty much everyone I'm surprised you you haven't seen it (OC'd Q9400 with 560Ti here). Just google "rebellion slowdown" and you have people say the same thing on high end I7's. There were even community optimization mods for the previous game it got so bad. They didn't come out with a new engine for this game they just added some graphical features and tweaked the old one, hence why it's stuck to single core still. The new engine will supposedly appear in Sins2.

He is right - there is no way the late-game lag is Internet or hardware-related. The forums are full of people who have reported the exact same thing. It's not a playtime issue - it is dependent on how long it takes you to grow an empire so massive that the engine starts to bog down under the wait of all the calculations, algorithms, what have you. It renders the end game of any large or huge universe virtually unplayable. I quit my last game 55 hours in because of it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 18:07 NegaDeath

Darks wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:44:
You might want to check your pc or get a better internet connection. I play this game regularly for at least 5 hours at a time. And we never get any lag. I’m not sure what your system is running, but the new engine they came out with for this game has the game running pretty damn smooth.

Game lag not internet lag, I only play single player. And late or large game slowdown happens to pretty much everyone I'm surprised you you haven't seen it (OC'd Q9400 with 560Ti here). Just google "rebellion slowdown" and you have people say the same thing on high end I7's. There were even community optimization mods for the previous game it got so bad. They didn't come out with a new engine for this game they just added some graphical features and tweaked the old one, hence why it's stuck to single core still. The new engine will supposedly appear in Sins2.

5. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 17:53 Silicon Avatar

Yeah, I want a Galciv 3 too. That's all I really care about Stardock doing.  

4. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 17:44 Darks

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:14:
The power of Steam.

It's an ok game but having owned Diplomacy already it's a pretty underwhelming expansion. For someone going vanilla sins to Rebellion it would be a good purchase. Considering how much they were charging for it multicore support should have been added to the engine. The lag gets really bad on any large or long game.

Now use that cash and get going on GalCiv3.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

3. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 17:17 Axis

Steam haters HATE reading shit like this. More please devs - tell it like we know it is!  

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 17:14 NegaDeath

The power of Steam.

It's an ok game but having owned Diplomacy already it's a pretty underwhelming expansion. For someone going vanilla sins to Rebellion it would be a good purchase. Considering how much they were charging for it multicore support should have been added to the engine. The lag gets really bad on any large or long game.

Now use that cash and get going on GalCiv3.

1. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 16:53 Keilun

The summary here is a bit confusing. To clarify:

1. Stardock anticipated the release of Sins on Steam to cannibalize their direct sales through the Stardock store and Impulse. They expected Steam sales to share the same digital "pie" that their own sales and Impulse shared.

2. Instead, Stardock found that their direct digital sales and Impulse sales were largely the same. This one's a bit ambiguous in their announcement.

3. Their Sins Steam sales eclipsed their retail sales.

4. (And most importantly!!) As a result, Stardock plans to bring Elemental and The Political Machine to Steam.

I've always wanted to try Elemental, not that Steam really factors into this decision. I'm more inclined to support Stardock directly by buying direct from them. That said, seeing more sales through Steam only means good things for Stardock and hopefully that translates to more resources into better games. Elemental's initial release was marred by issues.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo