Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record

Stardock announces that Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is smashing all the company's previous sales records. They offer some details on this, including some praise for the impact of sales on Steam, clearly putting the rivalry over once having owned the competing Impulse service in the rearview:

• The company has sold more than 100,000 copies digitally to date of Rebellion
  • The companyís internal projections factored in a large ďcannibalizationĒ percentage of its own direct sales through its web site and sales from its former digital distribution platform Impulse (now owned and operated by GameStop.)
    • Sale stats showed that Steam sales did NOT cannibalize those sales
    • Steam sales instead replaced what Stardock has usually seen via sell-in at retail

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 15:53 NegaDeath

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 15:05:
Cool thanks man.

NP. You can also try turning off as many empire tree and cargo icon options in the interface as possible. I've read setting ship speed to low helps as well but haven't tried it. I usually play games with the "small fleets" option on as well. Disabling pirates helps. I think the different AI types use varying amounts of mines so avoiding the "Turtle" AI is good.

I set the game to 4GB large address aware too but that's more of a crash preventer.

Edit: This ones more obvious but since the game is cpu bottlenecked on one core overclocking helps.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 16:06.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 15:13 NegaDeath

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 13:18:
I think many donít have a system capable of sustaining the game in a longer game. Which is why they are having the issues they do.

is a very different argument than

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 13:18:
Again, I am going to say this. The lag you guys are all talking about was something that happened with the two prior games. Rebellion for me has not had any of those late game slowdowns or lag. The original Sins was horrible about the lag with games after about 3 hours into a game. Rebellion does not have that, its been fixed.

Again, your experience is not universal. People have issues on medium maps not just large or huge. It's an engine designed for 2006 hardware, if it takes an I7 to run smoothly then there is still something fundamentally wrong.

27. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 15:05 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 11:41:

Looks like the Distant Stars mod has some lag optimization in it. Pretty much the same as the other one I used for Diplomacy, cuts down on Fighters/Mines/Trade ships. Looks like the Sins Optimization project that was available for the older versions (then dropped when the devs implemented the community fixes in a patch) is making a comeback for Rebellion too but I don't think it's ready yet.
Cool thanks man.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: Anyone else noticed in the steam sale Jul 26, 2012, 13:46 SpectralMeat

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:19:
That they sold a pack of SoaSE with all the addons in it, so you paid more for the rebated pack, than just Rebellion alone? Despite rebellion being stand-alone and including all the games and addons?

So yeah, the stardock pack included SoaSE 1 / Diplomacy / Entranchment and Rebellion each for its own price with rebate /50%. Despite buying Rebellion getting you all of the above already by default. The price was also, hilariously, not rebated. So you paid 25% more than you would have needed. .. just found that funny
The Stardock pack you are talking about included 2 other games also, Demigod and something else I can't remeber, it wasn't only Sins.

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 13:18 Darks

Jedi Master wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:18:
How in the world do you get a game to last 55 hrs?? I've never had one even approach 10 on the largest maps.

That was my point too, anyone even trying to get a game to last that long is just asking for problems. I donít think thereís way possible a game could last like that. I recall one guy saying he built a map with over 200 stars. First off, with the limited amount of ships that can be built this is plain stupid to even try and attempt. Again, does anyone really think youíre going to have a smooth playing game after 10 or more hours? If you do youíre diluted.

I crack up when I see people complaining about the game and it lagging and then find out how their game is setup up and the amount of planets they are trying to play on.

Sins is a great game, better than most I have ever played. But itís also a resourse hog too when it gets in the later stages of the game. I think many donít have a system capable of sustaining the game in a longer game. Which is why they are having the issues they do.

My system is as follows,

ASUS P7Z68 Deluxe
8GB Ram Corsair Vengeance
NVidia GTX 580
Intel i7 2600K 3.4 Ghz not over clocked

Again, no issues at all.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

24. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 11:41 NegaDeath

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 09:59:
Again, I am going to say this. The lag you guys are all talking about was something that happened with the two prior games.

Regardless of your experience it still happens to a lot of people. The developer has even admitted it is a limitation of an engine designed for Windows XP era hardware.

Here's a thread on the developers forum where one guy asks why it happens and 8 people in a row say "it's a known engine issue, no fix".

Just consider yourself lucky and enjoy the game.

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:39:
If you happen to remember which it was, post it I'd be interested. I haven't had time to play, but always nice to know what mods to look at for the future.

Looks like the Distant Stars mod has some lag optimization in it. Pretty much the same as the other one I used for Diplomacy, cuts down on Fighters/Mines/Trade ships. Looks like the Sins Optimization project that was available for the older versions (then dropped when the devs implemented the community fixes in a patch) is making a comeback for Rebellion too but I don't think it's ready yet.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 12:20.

23. Anyone else noticed in the steam sale Jul 26, 2012, 10:19 eRe4s3r

That they sold a pack of SoaSE with all the addons in it, so you paid more for the rebated pack, than just Rebellion alone? Despite rebellion being stand-alone and including all the games and addons?

So yeah, the stardock pack included SoaSE 1 / Diplomacy / Entranchment and Rebellion each for its own price with rebate /50%. Despite buying Rebellion getting you all of the above already by default. The price was also, hilariously, not rebated. So you paid 25% more than you would have needed. .. just found that funny

22. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 10:18 Jedi Master

How in the world do you get a game to last 55 hrs?? I've never had one even approach 10 on the largest maps.  

21. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 09:59 Darks

Bhruic wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 04:42:
InBlack wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 03:40:
I was thinking of getting this (never played a single Sins game before) but the setting looks to be quite rich and well realized and the different factions are quite cool. All this talk about an end game bog down is giving me second thoughts....

It mainly happens on larger maps with larger numbers of opponents. If you play on medium or smaller, you really won't notice it.

Of course, playing on large maps with large numbers of opponents is fun, so it's a bit of a drag not to be able to enjoy them properly...

Again, I am going to say this. The lag you guys are all talking about was something that happened with the two prior games. Rebellion for me has not had any of those late game slowdowns or lag. The original Sins was horrible about the lag with games after about 3 hours into a game. Rebellion does not have that, its been fixed.

I play just about every night with two other friends and we play on maps with 55 planets and three other AI on Vicious mode. Those games usually last us around 5 to 6 hours. Never once do we get the lag.

If you try playing a game with 100 plus planets and 6 AI then yes you will probably get lagged down at some point. But who really wants to play a game that long to begin with. thatís is not a feasible way of playing any RTS game and with any RTS game out there if you try playing a game for 30 or more hours then I would fully expect it to lag down or have memory issues.

Sins may be designed so you can attempt those kinds of games but in reality they are not feasible. Anyone who thinks they are is just fooling themselves and looking for trouble doing so.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

20. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 08:50 SpectralMeat

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 06:16:
The price and the talk of end-game lag are the main reasons I didn't pick this up during the Summer Sale.
I did pick up Rebellion during the Summer Sale. I've never owned any of the previous Sins games.
After I've picked it up I've realized the original Sins was on sale for 75% off. Before I installed Rebellion I sent in a ticket to Steam to see if I can get a refund and buy the original game instead and they allowed me to return the game and buy Sins Trinity instead.

Given the amount of time I have to spend with the game and the changes from Trinity to Rebellion I think Trinity for $5 was a way better value then Rebellion.

In my opinion $5 for that game was a steal even if it has end game lag . I do not regret getting it. I also get a discount from Stardock directly if I decide to pick up Rebellion later on, but I think I am happy with Trinity for now. I have way too many games to play to just spend all my free time with this one.

Steam: SpectralMeat

19. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 06:16 theyarecomingforyou

The price and the talk of end-game lag are the main reasons I didn't pick this up during the Summer Sale. I'm having lots of fun with Gods & Kings and really don't need any more similar games. It's the same with Legends Of Pegasus - it looks decent but they're simply charging too much without a demo to test it out first.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

18. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 04:42 Bhruic

InBlack wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 03:40:
I was thinking of getting this (never played a single Sins game before) but the setting looks to be quite rich and well realized and the different factions are quite cool. All this talk about an end game bog down is giving me second thoughts....

It mainly happens on larger maps with larger numbers of opponents. If you play on medium or smaller, you really won't notice it.

Of course, playing on large maps with large numbers of opponents is fun, so it's a bit of a drag not to be able to enjoy them properly...

17. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 03:40 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 21:21 Bet

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 20:14:
LOL Funny how Wardell sings a different tune when he can make a buck off Steam.
The p-power of money.

15. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 21:04 Sepharo

SDC (which became Impusle) was around before Steam and I think he always was kind of miffed that Steam was treated as something groundbreaking.  

14. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 20:20 Dev

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 20:14:
Yeah, I think getting rid of stardock will actually be a good thing for the company. He was never able to try steam before since he was competing, and now that he has he's probably regretting all the missed sales.

The biggest thing for matrix games I think would be that the steam sales have NOT cannibalized direct sales. There's a surprising number of steam haters in the matrix forums (although perhaps some are just fanboys defending their choice not to use steam, and since they are into very niche games they haven't tried steam much). And other very loyal customers will want to give them the maximum amount from a sale anyway, so I doubt they will lose the small number of people who buy games direct from them.

13. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 20:14 Beelzebud

12. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 19:57 Silicon Avatar

Dev wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:16:
BTW, the linked announcement contains more info. Worth a read.
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:14:
The power of Steam.
Now if only someone at matrix games would get a clue from this and put something like distant worlds on steam, instead of trying to sell a paltry few games at its current $100 price.

Yeah, I hear that. I'm not checking their games out until they clue up.

11. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 19:39 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:37:
I honestly forget which one I used, and I uninstalled Diplomacy to make room for Rebellion so I don't have it anymore. If I recall it made all fighters auto-dock when no enemies were in the gravity well so the system isn't constantly processing those. It also reduced the mine limit and made each one stronger to compensate, again to track less objects. I think those two were pretty big FPS killers when the quantities are high end-game.
If you happen to remember which it was, post it I'd be interested. I haven't had time to play, but always nice to know what mods to look at for the future.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 19:37 NegaDeath

Prez wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:14:
There were even community optimization mods for the previous game it got so bad

Can you recommend one? I never figured out which one to use.

I honestly forget which one I used, and I uninstalled Diplomacy to make room for Rebellion so I don't have it anymore. If I recall it made all fighters auto-dock when no enemies were in the gravity well so the system isn't constantly processing those. It also reduced the mine limit and made each one stronger to compensate, again to track less objects. I think those two were pretty big FPS killers when the quantities are high end-game.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo