Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record

Stardock announces that Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is smashing all the company's previous sales records. They offer some details on this, including some praise for the impact of sales on Steam, clearly putting the rivalry over once having owned the competing Impulse service in the rearview:

• The company has sold more than 100,000 copies digitally to date of Rebellion
  • The companyís internal projections factored in a large ďcannibalizationĒ percentage of its own direct sales through its web site and sales from its former digital distribution platform Impulse (now owned and operated by GameStop.)
    • Sale stats showed that Steam sales did NOT cannibalize those sales
    • Steam sales instead replaced what Stardock has usually seen via sell-in at retail

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 22:17 Dades

Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 19:56:
HARDWARD has everything to do with performance then you are lost cause. I know all about the limitations of this game and it only using one core.

You know better than the developers of the game themselves who have acknowledged there are serious problems with lack of optimization? You are the lost cause here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 21:12 Darks

Prez wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 20:20:
Prez, I will keep on harping this tune until you get sick of hearing it. If youíre to fucking stupid to get it through your thick head that HARDWARD has everything to do with performance then you are lost cause. I know all about the limitations of this game and it only using one core. Again moron your hardware has everyone to do with performance.

Hardward has everyone to do with performance huh? Funny how you jumped my shit for a small gaffe meanwhile you keep spitting them out in your nerd rage. Well, you keep arguing a point I'm not making, probably because you have no answer and are just trying to save face now. You are wrong, not about hardware in general (a point no one is arguing but you persist because you have nothing else), but in this particular case, you are comptetely wrong and you KNOW it, hence the childish lashing out, and knowing that is enough for me. Good day, matey.

Vote Prez for Idiot!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

47. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 20:20 Prez

Prez, I will keep on harping this tune until you get sick of hearing it. If youíre to fucking stupid to get it through your thick head that HARDWARD has everything to do with performance then you are lost cause. I know all about the limitations of this game and it only using one core. Again moron your hardware has everyone to do with performance.

Hardward has everyone to do with performance huh? Funny how you jumped my shit for a small gaffe meanwhile you keep spitting them out in your nerd rage. Well, you keep arguing a point I'm not making, probably because you have no answer and are just trying to save face now. You are wrong, not about hardware in general (a point no one is arguing but you persist because you have nothing else), but in this particular case, you are comptetely wrong and you KNOW it, hence the childish lashing out, and knowing that is enough for me. Good day, matey.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2012, 20:30.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

46. removed Jul 27, 2012, 19:56 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 28, 2012, 13:04.

45. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 19:40 NegaDeath

There's no need for a test. It's been tested thousands of times by other players, discussed on forums all around the internet and confirmed by the developer to be an engine issue to be fixed in the next generation. For the umpteenth time your experience is not universal, the fact that it runs "perfectly" for you is both great and a pointless statistic. Noone here has disputed your experience. You however continue to dispute us.

My PC has no problem. It handles all modern games with no issues. "Needing more horsepower" is a pointless argument, because of the old nature of the engine the ONLY aspect that will help the game is a single fast CPU core. Know what the recommended (note: recommended, not required) CPU is for the game? A puny Core 2 Duo @ 2Ghz. Video card is irrelevant as it's a DX9 only CPU bottlenecked game. Ram is irrelevant as it's 32-bit only. If you feel the recommended CPU for this single core game should be an expensive Core I7 then maybe you should tell Ironclad.

"I'm not being an ass about this"

What do you call blaming us for the decline of PC gaming then? I noticed that post was deleted but it was so outrageous the comments stuck in my head. Or how about telling Prez he didn't know what game he was talking about when he only made a simple (and obvious) typo?

I guess you just can't stop blaming us. I wash my hands of the conversation and regret that you turned a polite discussion of a great game into this. I will not respond to your comments any further, something I should have done much earlier.

44. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 19:04 Prez

And that is in my experience that the userís pc is inadequate to handle those larger maps and long drawn out games.

Congratulations for you. Your experience means jack shit to the hundreds of individuals who have echoes these issues in the dozens of threads started in the Stardock forums about this issue. Ironclad (I got it right lest you try being a diversionary douche again) has even acknowledged the goddamn issue themselves!.

You're continuing harping on peoples' hardware only proves your ignorance (which is obviously willful at this point) about the actual issue. The highest end hardware in the world does not make a difference if the engine itself is bottlenecked by only being able to use one core of your cpu, which has been pointed out several times but you refuse to listen.

43. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 17:05 Darks

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 02:10:
Darks wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 01:11:
blah blah rant rant

Why are you being such an asshat about this?

First you said the game doesn't slow down, that they "fixed" it.
Then you said our systems are too old.
Now your saying we're all trying unreasonable settings.

You can't even pick an argument. The conversation moved on to ways to help people with lag issues but you just had to keep fighting it, that we're all apparently doing it wrong. I guess all the mod developers incorporating lag optimizations are doing it wrong too?

You want specs? Here's some damn specs.

Intel Core2Quad Q9400 OC'd to 3.2GHZ
MSI Twin Frozr 2 OC Edition 560 Ti
8GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
Game running off an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

More than exceeds the hardware requirements for the game. The game, as I have said before, that has hardware requirements of systems from 6 years ago.

Slowdown occurs for people on MEDIUM maps with SMALL fleet size option set and 4 AI. After 4-5 hours or so the lag becomes so bad it's like playing in slow motion. Again, it doesn't matter if this runs fine on your system, your experience is not universal. I don't even play large maps as it takes too long to finish and it gets too slow. This same rig runs BF3 on High detail with smooth FPS.

Go stand in front of a mirror and congratulate yourself that you don't have issues. Accept that MANY people have slowdown issues and are NOT making unreasonable requests of the game. Enjoy your copy of Sins Rebellion. And finally please exit the thread with the realization that you are making ZERO contributions to the conversation. Good day sir.

Edit: One more note in case you think I'm trying to attack the game or developers. I LOVE The Sins series. I've purchased each entry, and barring a debacle like Sword of the Stars 2 I will purchase the next Sins game without reservation. When the developer says implementing multicore to fix performance issues is too expensive and time consuming for an expansion I take their word for it, just as I do when they promise the next full sequal Sins2 will have a new modern engine.

Nega,

I hear what youíre saying, but what you are explaining to me is exactly what I have been trying to get most of you to understand. And that is in my experience that the userís pc is inadequate to handle those larger maps and long drawn out games.

Believe me or not, I play on maps of 60 planets on average. Our games last well over 5 to 6 hours in one sitting. We play with larger fleets, no pirates. I have a mod where you can build up to 34 Capital ships and we max that out. And we do not lag down at all. And that is with the ai attaching in unison with two and sometime three ai in one planet. There are hundreds of frigates with just the one fleet alone.

Iím not being an ass about this, Iím telling you all our experience and some of you want to dispute that. Well fine, dispute it, but I willing to put it to the test. Just say the word. But Iím still going to say that if the game lags out then you need to look at your own pcs setup and connection because your pc probably canít handle the excessive load being put on it.

This engine may be old, but that does not mean it doesnít require a lot of horse power to run the game smoothly.

Dispute it not, but im willing to put this one to the test.

42. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 07:28 Dades

Prez wrote on Jul 27, 2012, 02:06:
Jesus Darks when did you become such a troll?? The argument you are making is beyond ridiculous - you know you are wrong. Just leave over already.

Everyone else in the world doesn't know how to configure their computer, he's the only one who knows how to play video games and build a computer. The only one one one one one...The Chosen One.

41. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 02:10 NegaDeath

blah blah rant rant

Why are you being such an asshat about this?

First you said the game doesn't slow down, that they "fixed" it.
Then you said our systems are too old.
Now your saying we're all trying unreasonable settings.

You can't even pick an argument. The conversation moved on to ways to help people with lag issues but you just had to keep fighting it, that we're all apparently doing it wrong. I guess all the mod developers incorporating lag optimizations are doing it wrong too?

You want specs? Here's some damn specs.

Intel Core2Quad Q9400 OC'd to 3.2GHZ
MSI Twin Frozr 2 OC Edition 560 Ti
8GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
Game running off an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD

More than exceeds the hardware requirements for the game. The game, as I have said before, that has hardware requirements of systems from 6 years ago.

Slowdown occurs for people on MEDIUM maps with SMALL fleet size option set and 4 AI. After 4-5 hours or so the lag becomes so bad it's like playing in slow motion. Again, it doesn't matter if this runs fine on your system, your experience is not universal. I don't even play large maps as it takes too long to finish and it gets too slow. This same rig runs BF3 on High detail with smooth FPS.

Go stand in front of a mirror and congratulate yourself that you don't have issues. Accept that MANY people have slowdown issues and are NOT making unreasonable requests of the game. Enjoy your copy of Sins Rebellion. And finally please exit the thread with the realization that you are making ZERO contributions to the conversation. Good day sir.

Edit: One more note in case you think I'm trying to attack the game or developers. I LOVE The Sins series. I've purchased each entry, and barring a debacle like Sword of the Stars 2 I will purchase the next Sins game without reservation. When the developer says implementing multicore to fix performance issues is too expensive and time consuming for an expansion I take their word for it, just as I do when they promise the next full sequal Sins2 will have a new modern engine.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2012, 02:38.

40. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 02:06 Prez

Jesus Darks when did you become such a troll?? The argument you are making is beyond ridiculous - you know you are wrong. Just leave over already.  

39. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 01:44 Bhruic

No, you are the bigger dumbass; you and a few others here just canít seem to comprehend the fact that if you want to play those larger scaled up planets and battles. You had better prepare for disappointment. This was no different then it was playing Sup Com when i had the same laggy assed issues with long drawn out games. Except it was far worst with Sup Com.

I like long games, but not ones that sit here and tie me down for games lasting over 10 hours a shot. That is stupid and you and a few others here are fucking glutens for punishment if you think you can play a long assed drawn out game like that. Itís not an FPS, itís an RTS game, and from my account I have seen this all too often in RTS games when they are played out over a very long period of time they start to lag down. You guys are unrealistic in your wants. When I play a game I set it up to where itís realistic and not something that I know is going to cause issues.

Just because you are able to put that many planets on a map does not mean that your system can handle the load. Some of you remind me of the same dumbasses a few years back when Crisis came out. The first thing many of you idiots did was crank up the graphics to the highest setting then complained their asses off about how laggy and shitty the game was. Thanks to many of you bitches out there, consoles are now taking over because you all whine like a bunch of whores.

You really are a moron, aren't you? People are complaining that if they drive their car too fast, the wheels fall off, and your response is "why would people want to drive fast in the first place? you're unrealistic for wanting to drive anywhere fast, and I only drive slow, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with the car".

If you design a game that allows for large maps with large numbers of AI, then it's your fucking responsibility to make sure it works right. If your engine can't support it, then you shouldn't be including options to play that way in the first place.

And your attempts to suggest it's a hardware problem are particularily idiotic when you've already been linked to a quote from the developers stating that it's a problem with the engine. It's not like there's any ambiguity here, they have flat-out stated the engine has issues. Not issues that have been fixed in Rebellion, not issues that you only get if you have shitty hardware, issues that are fundamental to the design of their engine.

And yet, here you are, apparently with more knowledge of the engine and its limitations than the developers themselves.

38. removed Jul 27, 2012, 01:11 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 27, 2012, 09:45.

37. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 27, 2012, 00:38 Bhruic

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 09:59:
I play just about every night with two other friends and we play on maps with 55 planets and three other AI on Vicious mode. Those games usually last us around 5 to 6 hours. Never once do we get the lag.

If you try playing a game with 100 plus planets and 6 AI then yes you will probably get lagged down at some point. But who really wants to play a game that long to begin with. thatís is not a feasible way of playing any RTS game and with any RTS game out there if you try playing a game for 30 or more hours then I would fully expect it to lag down or have memory issues.

Sins may be designed so you can attempt those kinds of games but in reality they are not feasible. Anyone who thinks they are is just fooling themselves and looking for trouble doing so.

Wow. You're a dumbass.

The game includes large maps by default. The game includes large numbers of AI by default. It's not like anyone had to hack the game to get the option to use them.

You don't get lag? Well big fucking deal. The reason you don't get lag is because you (deliberately?) play on smaller maps with smaller numbers of AI. If that's the way you want to play, fine. But that doesn't change the fact the game massively bogs down when you increase those settings.

As for who wants to play a game that long in the first place - how about lots of us? You don't? I don't give a shit. I want to play the game the way I enjoy playing it. And that's with lots of AIs and large numbers of planets.

If that's not a feasible way of playing, then they shouldn't be selling the game with the ability to do that. That's their fuckup, not mine. If playing that was is not feasible, that is, at best, false advertisement on their part. They should stop claiming to be able to play in such a fashion if their engine is incapable of handing it.

36. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 22:34 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:21:
You didn't even rag on "diluted".

Haha! Good catch.

35. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 22:21 Sepharo

You didn't even rag on "diluted".  

34. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 21:33 Prez

Throwing around hardware is not up to date as an excuse. That to me sounds like a cop out on your part. And yes Hardware does and always has made the difference. If you havenít figured that out then you are dumb.

Ignoring the rest of your answer which was predictably asinine , I have to admit defeat here - I constantly mistake Ironclad with Iron Lore.

As far as the other points, like I said, predictable (how in the hell does a sane rational adult insinuate that every single one of the hundreds of complaints about this issue is a result of insufficient hardware???). You speak out your ass while knowing nothing - typical internet blowhard. At least you didn't try to defend your utterly moronic assertion that people who try to play strategy games for more than 10 hours are somehow doing it wrong. That's a classic I won't soon forget.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 21:44.

33. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 20:46 NegaDeath

Darks wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 20:22:
Oh gee Prez, I guess you type fancy, color me impressed.

Throwing around hardware is not up to date as an excuse. That to me sounds like a cop out on your part. And yes Hardware does and always has made the difference. If you havenít figured that out then you are dumb.

OK, so Iron Lore? Really? Iron Lore? How about you go back to playing Titan Quest and come back when you have a clue about what game you are talking about.

It didn't click in your head that he meant Ironclad? I'm starting to think you work for them, you post like you need to defend their coding.

32. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 20:22 Darks

Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 16:21:
Jedi Master wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:18:
How in the world do you get a game to last 55 hrs?? I've never had one even approach 10 on the largest maps.

I had to check my original post - "55" hours should have been "15" hours. I think I had 55 on the brain because my Steam stats showed I had played Rebellion for 55 hours. Still, I don't understand how length of game even matters - the late game lag is ridiculous, and it occurs in every single random large/ huge galaxy once there are several large empires with huge fleets roaming around. *EDIT* And this is in Rebellion. It has not been "fixed" by any means, since fixing it would mean optimizing the engine (which is shared between both Trinity and Rebellion) to use more than a single core of your cpu, something which Iron Lore themselves have said they don't have the resources to do. The best that can be done is the same thing that was done with the original, which is making various tweaks that lessen the load on the cpu.

Again, does anyone really think youíre going to have a smooth playing game after 10 or more hours? If you do youíre diluted.

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've read on these forums. Holy shit that was stupid. Playing a strategy game for over 10 whole hours is asking for trouble? Jesus tap-dancing Christ, do people even think before they type anymore?

And seriously - we are STILL throwing around the goofy "your hardware must not be up to snuff" excuse? Really? Is that a mandatory response every time someone mentions a problem in any possible game?

Oh gee Prez, I guess you type fancy, color me impressed.

OK, so Iron Lore? Really? Iron Lore? How about you go back to playing Titan Quest and come back when you have a clue about what game you are talking about.

31. Re: Anyone else noticed in the steam sale Jul 26, 2012, 17:37 eRe4s3r

Yeah but in the details it listed all 4 soase games as part of the pack, when the only game part of the pack was actually Rebellion. And if you counted all the games, and removed the 3 wrongly added soase games, you would have paid less by buying them "alone" than in the pack.

So the entire pack was a huge scam. If you bought the 3 real games in that pack alone you would have paid less than the pack.

30. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 26, 2012, 16:21 Prez

Jedi Master wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:18:
How in the world do you get a game to last 55 hrs?? I've never had one even approach 10 on the largest maps.

I had to check my original post - "55" hours should have been "15" hours. I think I had 55 on the brain because my Steam stats showed I had played Rebellion for 55 hours. Still, I don't understand how length of game even matters - the late game lag is ridiculous, and it occurs in every single random large/ huge galaxy once there are several large empires with huge fleets roaming around. *EDIT* And this is in Rebellion. It has not been "fixed" by any means, since fixing it would mean optimizing the engine (which is shared between both Trinity and Rebellion) to use more than a single core of your cpu, something which Iron Lore themselves have said they don't have the resources to do. The best that can be done is the same thing that was done with the original, which is making various tweaks that lessen the load on the cpu.

Again, does anyone really think youíre going to have a smooth playing game after 10 or more hours? If you do youíre diluted.

That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've read on these forums. Holy shit that was stupid. Playing a strategy game for over 10 whole hours is asking for trouble? Jesus tap-dancing Christ, do people even think before they type anymore?

And seriously - we are STILL throwing around the goofy "your hardware must not be up to snuff" excuse? Really? Is that a mandatory response every time someone mentions a problem in any possible game?

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 17:40.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo