Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell

"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People donít realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior," says Valve's Gabe Newell as quoted on AllThingsD. "We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. Itís a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think weíll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If thatís true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality." Thanks VG247.

View
165 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

5. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 16:59 Endo

WyldKat wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 16:53:
I would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if most games supported it and more importantly, so did drivers.
As would I. And I have to believe that if a significant number of high-profile games (Steam's entire library would certainly fit the bill) were to have full support for Linux, the video driver support would follow as a natural course of events. If all this happens, Gabe could very well make his own prophecy come true.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 16:53 WyldKat

I would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if most games supported it and more importantly, so did drivers.  

3. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 16:49 Dades

Wow that is a pretty bold statement from Gabe and a confirmation that they aren't just doing this on a whim, it's definitely part a larger strategy.  

2. Re: Gabe Newell, confirming what I already knew Jul 25, 2012, 16:48 Beamer

DukeFNukem wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 16:47:
Thank you Gabe. Maybe Microsoft will start listening to their customers now. "Can you hear us now?" Don't want a cellphone UI on my desktop. Thanks, but no thanks.

Apple is doing it with Mountain Lion, too, bragging about a return to full-screen apps.

I don't want full-screen apps unless that space is necessary. Games, PowerPoint, Excel, web browsers? Yeah. Almost anything else? Nope.

Actually, let me edit that to I don't want apps. Games and true productivity suites? Sure. Nearly everything else can be web based. And not $0.99.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Gabe Newell, confirming what I already knew Jul 25, 2012, 16:47 DukeFNukem

Thank you Gabe. Maybe Microsoft will start listening to their customers now. "Can you hear us now?" Don't want a cellphone UI on my desktop. Thanks, but no thanks.

I do realize he is criticizing for different reasons than I am in his comments. None the less, as long as Windows 8 fails, it's a win-win for me and Gabe.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

165 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo