Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell

"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People don’t realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior," says Valve's Gabe Newell as quoted on AllThingsD. "We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It’s a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think we’ll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that’s true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality." Thanks VG247.

View
165 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

25. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:57 Tom

"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games"

LOL! Yeah right. Ok, let's just pay no attention to the huge fundamental usability issues. Or the lack of non-game application support. Or the update/upgrade processes. Or dependency nightmares, having to compile stuff yourself, the ever so friendly support community, the battle of the righteous vs. closed-source, etc etc etc!

No, games are the big problem. If not for that, everyone would surely use Linux. Hahaha!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:54 Techie714 ©

nin wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:18:
Axis wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:10:
I got news for you, even though most don't want to hear it and will fanboy flame to high heaven...

The last "Great" OS from Microsoft was and still is XP.

7 is a great OS, and more stable and reliable than XP. I've been running 7 at home for like 2 years and I've never seen a BSOD.

Windows 7 is the best O/S I've ever used...PERIOD! I also use Linux too.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

23. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:52 xXBatmanXx

DukeFNukem wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:12:
I'll take Windows XP over Windows 8 any day of the week. But I would take Windows 7 over XP which is what I am doing now.

Yea, I am using Win7 with the script that does an xp overlay - makes it tolerable. My gaming rig is still xp.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

22. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:45 Tim Collins

OK SO ...you wanna know the TRUTH?

The same people that worked at Microsoft arn't there anymore. Gabe worked at Microsoft for 13 years. The smart people left.

Windows 8 is a DISASTER, anybody who says otherwise is a Microsoft shill of some sort

If Ribbon blew u away your gonna LOVE windows 8.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2012, 17:52.

21. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:42 Dades

Prez wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:37:
I have been ignoring all the Windows 8 news because I simply don't care, but the whole "compete with Steam" thing kind of got my interest up a little. If someone could give me the quick and dirty: In what way is Windows 8 competition with Steam?

Microsoft has cooked Xbox Live functionality into Windows 8 in the form of an app that tie video, music and game purchases together. Steam doesn't have much to fear, it's an improvement over GFWL but just barely and it won't appeal to anyone but casual gamers who are already married to the XBL platform.

20. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:38 Mordecai Walfish

rkone wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:14:
Also - of course he's going to say it's a catastrophe, it's competition! It's not like he's going to tell everyone to stop bothering with steam now...

Competition? Valve isn't in the O/S business...

You really think this is where it's headed?

I got news for you, even though most don't want to hear it and will fanboy flame to high heaven...

Here we are talking about modern O/S, and you are still pining for the "Glory Days of Windows XP".. lol. Learn to use something new. I don't care about whether you think you need it or not, it is quite a known fact in 2012 that Windows 7 is better than XP, and has gained it's place as a proper successor to it, which Vista never was... AND it even runs faster/more stable on old "XP Machines" in many cases.

Unless you cant find the drivers for your old sound blaster or printer it's a pretty easy and painless upgrade too. My 88yr old grandmother who used XP for 10+ years even adapted to it, in a matter or days.

Something tells me getting her to switch to "Steaminux" will be a bit more difficult =P

It's funny that before you even have a conversation about your preference of an old O/S you already identify anyone who has a different opinion as being a "fanboy", which makes you sound more like the "XP fanboy" here.

I believe the rest of us just prefer what works best for what we want to do.. and currently, that is *NOT* xp. XP was great at a time, but there are better O/S available for a while now.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2012, 17:44.

19. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:37 Prez

I have been ignoring all the Windows 8 news because I simply don't care, but the whole "compete with Steam" thing kind of got my interest up a little. If someone could give me the quick and dirty: In what way is Windows 8 competition with Steam?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:24 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:03:
hahahahahahahaa This story makes my day. It is my understanding, that Windows 8 looks like the new xbox live format? (ie windows mobile garbage0 THAT SUX!

They replaced the Start Menu with Metro which is essentially the same thing with a new format and different user interface. Metro apps can only be run at certain sizes on the screen and you can only have 2 active at once without multi-monitor. Metro apps also have to be obtained through the Metro store, there is no way to run unsigned Metro apps currently. Metro has a lot of changes that will be problematic for traditional Windows users, features like swipes and hot corners are almost unusable with a keyboard and mouse. This would be fine if it was just for tablets because Metro is actually a pretty good tablet interface. They decided to force people instead of having a simple toggle UI or auto detection for input devices which is why people are very pissed off.

You can still run desktop applications the usual way but Microsoft is clearing going to phase them out. Desktop applications will be allowed into the store but only in the form of website links according to arstechnica. Microsoft seems to be focusing on HTML5 web apps, support for desktop applications in future Visual Studio versions will probably wane. They are determined to get into the mobile space even if it means cannibalizing their own users.

17. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:21 NegaDeath

After fighting with the abortion that is GFWL on 7 I can't see anything Microsoft tries to do with gaming on 8 being anything less than pathetic.  

16. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:18 Silicon Avatar

The OS (and office-like suites) are becoming more fungible. MS must have / should have seen this writing on the wall a long time ago. Obviously Gabe is starting to think that way too... Or he's just gearing the company up for a Steam Console.

And no, the last "great" OS from Microsoft was not the security-bug-&-virus-ridden XP. It might be Windows 7 though.

15. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:18 nin

7 is a great OS, and more stable and reliable than XP. I've been running 7 at home for like 2 years and I've never seen a BSOD.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:14 DangerDog

Need more than just games to support Linux to make the switch, need some top tier applications as well.

Windows 8 will compete with Steam, (uninformed) people will be browsing the xbox live store or whatever for games and metro apps.

HP announced their exit from the PC market way before Windows 8, still DELL and Lenovo. I haven't purchased a brand name PC since you could build your own years and years ago, most people build their own or have someone put it together for them. If you can put together a simple lego model you can build your own PC.

13. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:14 rkone

DukeFNukem wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:10:
He's not, read post #1 again with your glasses on.

I'll admit I didn't bother reading your 2nd line, but others were inferring the same without the caveat.

Also - of course he's going to say it's a catastrophe, it's competition! It's not like he's going to tell everyone to stop bothering with steam now...

12. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:12 DukeFNukem

I'll take Windows XP over Windows 8 any day of the week. But I would take Windows 7 over XP which is what I am doing now.  
Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

11. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:10 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:10 DukeFNukem

He's not, read post #1 again with your glasses on.  
Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

9. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:07 rkone

I would guess Gabe is mostly referring to the Windows App Store or whatever MS is calling it in Win 8. In context it doesn't make sense that he's referring to the GUI of the day...  

8. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:03 xXBatmanXx

hahahahahahahaa This story makes my day. It is my understanding, that Windows 8 looks like the new xbox live format? (ie windows mobile garbage0 THAT SUX!  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

7. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:02 nin

Coming from Gabe, a former MS employee, this is even more delicious.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:01 Prez

Never mind what you think of Windows 8; where in the hell is Half-Life 3/Episode 3 Gabe?? Throw us a frickin' bone here!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

165 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo