Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Mists of Pandaria in September

The Mists of Pandaria expansion for World of Warcraft should launch on September 25th, announces Blizzard, saying: "Upon the expansion’s release, intrepid explorers of the Alliance and the Horde will be able to set foot upon the shores of the long-lost continent of Pandaria and embark on a perilous journey to uncover its ancient mysteries." The MMORPG expansion will be released digitally for USD $39.99, as a digital deluxe edition for USD $59.99, or as a retail Collector's Edition for USD $79.99, and they will also offer a deluxe upgrade for purchasers of the vanilla edition. Word is pre-sales are now underway:

Presales for the standard digital and Digital Deluxe versions of Mists of Pandaria are now live. Players who would like to purchase either version and be ready to play the moment the expansion launches can do so now by visiting www.WorldofWarcraft.com. The expansion content will automatically be digitally delivered to pre-purchasers via World of Warcraft’s streaming launcher prior to the release of Mists of Pandaria. Players who would like to preorder the standard box or the retail-exclusive Collector’s Edition can do so by visiting their local retailer.

“Mists of Pandaria contains the biggest variety of new content we’ve ever created for a World of Warcraft expansion, with features that will appeal to new players, veterans, and everyone in between,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We’ve received a lot of great feedback from players during our most extensive beta test yet, and we hope they enjoy exploring everything Pandaria has to offer when the expansion comes out in September.”

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 26, 2012, 09:54 Mr. Tact

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about this expansion which has made me consider picking the game up again...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 26, 2012, 00:13 Lokust

This is the sound of the franchise being milked for the last of what it is worth.  

27. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 19:22 DedEye

My wife is in the beta; looks unimpressive and does not provide even the smallest hint of desire to resub.

But I may be tired of the whole thing as well. Her bro bought her a preorder of GW2. Watcing her play that...../yawn...more of the same, just with different window dressing.

26. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 18:06 Jonny

Alamar wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 12:54:
So when LK was coming out... Arthas was a big figure... We knew he was the foozle (props to the oldies - CGW FTW)...

When Cata came out, Deathchin made a big presence, and we knew he was the foozle...

Now, sure, admittedly, I haven't followed Mists dev, but... Who the hell is the foozle?

-Alamar

The Horde and the Alliance apparently, the god-awfully named Pandaria is just a backdrop to the war as both sides roll up and proceed to rip it to pieces fighting over it. The last boss of the expansion is allegedly Garrosh Hellscream in The Siege of Orgrimmar raid, whether that's true or just misdirection I don't know.

25. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 17:13 HorrorScope

deqer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:13:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:10:
doesn't interest me as much as one that is free to play every month.
But is GW2 truly F2P?

We all know how the "F2P" trend has been going lately. Usually turns out that it isn't truly F2P and thus has a negative effect your gaming experience. Whethre that negative effect only disturbs a small portion of the game, does not matter. It's still a portion. There should be no negatively effected portions.

Hell no it's not free to play... it costs $60. If we are skewing our terms now to fit that into the FTP mold, then look no further than the mirror.

As for this offering. I did my job, no one in my family plays wow anymore. I feel I'm doing my parental duty.

24. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 16:32 FloorPie

nin wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 11:53:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 11:49:
Maybe they are trying to shake off their stereotypical neckbeard fan-base in favor of people who just want a laugh and a little fun.

I think that's it. Cataclysm reenforced that it's the casual player who's their largest segment, and also the most likely to leave, when they run out of stuff to do. So they're trying to add more appeal there, in hopes of keeping more players.

Uh, they catered to casuals only with DragonSoul and that was to save subs. The first 4-8 weeks of Cataclysm caused many casuals to quit. Burn out and difficulty aren't a good mix. I lost a lot of casual raiders and thus was short for even a regular 10 man raid team that was balanced to succeed (bring the player not the class doesnt work when some fights favor one spec of one class). This lead to the more serious/talented players to get frustrated or look for a guild that could still raid and succeed more than 1 boss every week.

Oddly I've not gotten a beta invite for this expansion either and I have a feeling that the game is going to crash and burn, at least for me.

23. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 15:16 Ozmodan

Panda's are not enough to get me to buy the game especially since some gold seller hacked the account while the subscription was expired.  

22. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 15:14 Optional nickname

deqer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 11:50:
hey guys, dont support price inflation. do not buy this game, and educate your kids not to buy any game at $79.99 either.

do you have any idea how parents in todays' day and age spend money they don't have? Food for thought why the US national debt is increasing at 1 million dollars per 45 seconds.

Good luck circumventing a wow expansion price of $79.99, when 90% of player base already gave Blizzard over $1,400 in subscription fees over the last 8 years.

21. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 14:17 Agent.X7

Verno wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:57:
Axis wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:47:
GW2 is a cash grab on an IP just like D3 is.

It's a shallow game that should not have the phrase "Guild Wars" in it. Current trend mmo players will have fun with it for a couple months at best.

The setting, combat and PvP all felt pretty GW-ish to me though I'm not even sure what that means exactly. I liked the first game but I wasn't a fanatic or anything. Anyways, Guild Wars 2 is not F2P in the traditional sense. You pay for a boxed copy but there are no monthly costs. There was a cash shop for things in the last BWE but I didn't really see anything in there that would affect balance so I'm not worried about it. From what I saw you could conceivably play it in a reasonable way without ever adding funds beyond the initial cost.

Unless you're an alt-o-holic like me, then you need extra character slots. That's pretty much all I bought for the original game. (Literally. I got all the games for free from the website I worked for.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

20. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 13:57 Verno

Axis wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:47:

It's a shallow game that should not have the phrase "Guild Wars" in it. Current trend mmo players will have fun with it for a couple months at best.

The setting, combat and PvP all felt pretty GW-ish to me though I'm not even sure what that means exactly. I liked the first game but I wasn't a fanatic or anything. Anyways, Guild Wars 2 is not F2P in the traditional sense. You pay for a boxed copy but there are no monthly costs. There was a cash shop for things in the last BWE but I didn't really see anything in there that would affect balance so I'm not worried about it. This video has a good breakdown of how the economy and cash shop works in GW2. From what I saw you could conceivably play it in a reasonable way without ever adding funds beyond the initial cost.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2012, 14:34.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

19. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 13:47 Axis

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:31:
But is GW2 truly F2P?
That's the hook. It's actually pay to win.

I already have it bought to test the BWEs, so it's in my best interest to see it succeed -- but I've been around... expect nothing to change.

Yours truly,

Axis

18. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 13:31 Mashiki Amiketo

But is GW2 truly F2P?
That's the hook. It's actually pay to win.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 13:13 deqer

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:10:
doesn't interest me as much as one that is free to play every month.
But is GW2 truly F2P?

We all know how the "F2P" trend has been going lately. Usually turns out that it isn't truly F2P and thus has a negative effect your gaming experience. Whethre that negative effect only disturbs a small portion of the game, does not matter. It's still a portion. There should be no negatively effected portions.

16. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 13:10 Agent.X7

I have a CE pre-booked with my distributor for myself, but will I actually play it when it comes out? Dunno. It depends on how engrossed I am in GW2 and Borderlands 2. I can't see paying $15 a month for a game that doesn't interest me as much as one that is free to play every month.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

15. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 13:03 nin

Alamar wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 12:54:
So when LK was coming out... Arthas was a big figure... We knew he was the foozle (props to the oldies - CGW FTW)...

When Cata came out, Deathchin made a big presence, and we knew he was the foozle...

Now, sure, admittedly, I haven't followed Mists dev, but... Who the hell is the foozle?

-Alamar

Last I heard, they'd not revealed it yet, other a push towards faction pvp, with Theramore getting the axe (and in turn, retaliation)...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 12:54 Alamar

-Alamar

13. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 12:42 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 12:00:
I'm not sure how "off course" it is though.

I think they are right on the mark. WoW came out with cartoony graphics, a really high fantasy story, enormous weapons and armor, etc. I'm not sure it was even originally designed to be all that serious. People just got serious about it because they invested a lot of time in it

Given the detailed lore, characters and backstories they've developed for the Warcraft universe I can see how people would be disappointed with this. There are dozens of untapped locations and characters that would been a better fit for an expansion pack. This is more like a goofy one-off that is targeting a young demographic because they know kung fu panda is currently a really big deal with kids (seriously its insane). WoW usually has plenty of pop-culture and humor as it is, at times it can be a bit much even. I know people have been asking for Pandaren to be in the game many times but I'm not sure they meant for it to entail an entire expansion pack worth of content.

To be fair though they've made several solid expansion packs so if they want one where they don't need to worry about canon and stuff then I don't see it as a big deal. I can definitely see where some people would feel iffy about it though.

12. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 12:00 Silicon Avatar

I'm not sure how "off course" it is though.

I think they are right on the mark. WoW came out with cartoony graphics, a really high fantasy story, enormous weapons and armor, etc. I'm not sure it was even originally designed to be all that serious. People just got serious about it because they invested a lot of time in it.

You can probably chart WoW's step back from the brink soon after the Southpark episode aired and the Blizzard execs came to realize that maybe they needed to cater to a more broad fan base.

That is just my perspective from the outside though. I never really got much into WoW.

11. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 11:56 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 11:49:
Maybe they are trying to shake off their stereotypical neckbeard fan-base in favor of people who just want a laugh and a little fun.

I'm not sure you could qualify their fanbase as neckbeards or whatever. Sure that element definitely exists but the game has generally been very approachable and accessible while enjoying a very large and diverse player base. WoW was always pretty good about being accommodating to the kind of casual play you described. Solo friendly, hop in hop out gameplay, many methods of transport, instancing, etc.

I look at it as an effort to woo a younger generation as opposed to trying to ditch anyone. The neckbeards as you put it are great because they will bitch up a storm but stay subbed for ridiculous periods of time.

Silly Verno! GW2 comes out a full month before MoP if you pre purchase it.

Oh right whoops, I gotta get on that.

10. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 Wallshadows

Silly Verno! GW2 comes out a full month before MoP if you pre purchase it.  

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo