Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 30, 2012, 09:10 Ant

Bah to subscriptions especially when I don't watch many movies and TV/television shows. Also, limited selections.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2012, 00:35 Jivaro

Yeah, it was the price increase that pissed people off. Had they simply split it without actually increasing the cost to the customer, I am thinking the outrage would have been considerably muted.

The damage to their business was huge in a way I didn't really think of until much later. The day before they announced the price increase and the split...if you had asked most of my friends and family what VUDU was, or even Hulu, they would have had no idea. The day after the announcement, they all knew what it was because the first thing they did was go on the Internet and start looking at their options. My wife didn't know she could watch HGTV at their website until we were contemplating cancelling Netflix, now she watches it there primarily.

In other words, they did their competition a huge favor. Prior to that whole mess they owned the market by a large percentage and the customer base really didn't feel a need to even look at any of the competitors. Hulu went from a name my kids and tech savvy friends knew to a name even my grandmother knew....nearly overnight. I mean think about it, we get cable or satellite and we use a box to find what we want to watch. The concept of going to multiple places to watch various things isn't the first thing the mainstream is going to think of...or want. It means putting effort into something that previously was effortless.

So while Netflix will probably be around for the long haul, what they gave up was their domination of the marketplace. It kind of reminded me of this past NBA season...during the lockout...when all of sudden all of my friends became huge hockey fans. Most went back to watching the NBA as soon as the lockout ended, but now they are also watching hockey...and consequently spending less money and time on the NBA. Not exactly the same thing, but I think you get my point.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 21:36 Dades

Prez wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 20:17:
True but by the CEO's own admission that's exactly the direction he want to and intends to go in. I never got the outrage at splitting the DVD and streaming businesses myself - it's not like the two are inherently or naturally tied together or anything. Splitting them seemed like a wise thing to do since one market is stagnant and projected to start shrinking soon and one is set to take off (despite old media doing their best to arbitrarily impede it). The timing was bad, and it could have been handled better but ultimately I think it was a very necessary move.

It was the way they handled it that people had a problem with. They increased their prices and did that at the same time so it came off poorly in PR terms as a cash grab. They also gave it a really dumb name and then split the lists between both services, people didn't want to manage two separate lists with preferences and favorites. They fucked up everything surrounding the split so no one wanted it anymore.

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 21:02 Sepharo

I've still never used Netflix. I don't own any of the hardware that it's often streamed on, I don't own a DVD or Blu-Ray player to make use of the mail service. I guess I just rarely watch movies these days. The ones I do watch I see new in theaters or they're obscure/classic and from a private tracker specializing in such films. For TV it's Hulu+ (or the network's site itself) and anything that's not on there I guess it's a friend's house or less reputable means.

I don't really have anything against it, I just haven't seen a need for it.

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 20:17 Prez

This is a true HIGH RISK stock.

Is that how it is rated? I know it's been a bit of a roller coaster but I didn't think it fell into the "High Risk" category.

They gained more streamers but lost more dvd rental contracts.

True but by the CEO's own admission that's exactly the direction he want to and intends to go in. I never got the outrage at splitting the DVD and streaming businesses myself - it's not like the two are inherently or naturally tied together or anything. Splitting them seemed like a wise thing to do since one market is stagnant and projected to start shrinking soon and one is set to take off (despite old media doing their best to arbitrarily impede it). The timing was bad, and it could have been handled better but ultimately I think it was a very necessary move.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 18:37 NegaDeath

I can't see things get anything but worse for them. The movie industry flat out hates this business model. Netflix became too successful for their tastes and so the industry started turning the screws. Change isn't going to come quick to a group that has fought every single advance in media distribution since cassettes.  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 17:17 HorrorScope

Prez wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 16:49:
It's a crazy world we live in. Netflix adds over a million subscribers and the investors are panicking despite that being better than Netflix projected it could be. Those wacky investors!

They gained more streamers but lost more dvd rental contracts.

This stock has seen mega huge swings in the past 18 months. This is a true HIGH RISK stock.

The future is dimmed because their competitors control content and ISP's, meaning they are getting squeezed. But this is one stock that doesn't just sit at a quote +/-$5, it's all over the place. Do you feel lucky?

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 16:49 Prez

It's a crazy world we live in. Netflix adds over a million subscribers and the investors are panicking despite that being better than Netflix projected it could be. Those wacky investors!

I'm a very patient person so I am happy entertaining myslef with the older titles Netflix offers for streaming while waiting for newer stuff. I also understand that Netflix's relatively skimpy streaming catalog is far more the fault of the dinosaur movie and TV studios - with their greed and stubborn refusal to adapt to changing markets- than that of Netflix. Instead of viewing Netflix as a partner that could help them be successful in rich new markets they view Netflix as a competitor who needs to be priced out of the market altogether and a threat to their archaic business model.

It is starting to look like a foregone conclusion that Netflix (who admittedly didn't help their own cause with some bone-headed missteps last year) is going to be crushed under the weight of old media's Ludditism.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 13:12 Verno

Has it really though? I guess maybe the big networks and media companies are holding onto their new properties for longer periods of time and charging too much for licensing fees. I used to have a website that kept track of the additions and removals of specific shows on a weekly basis, can't remember the URL though. I find that it's just constantly in flux more than anything else. They get some great new shows and some other stuff I wanted to watch disappears, just the nature of the annual licensing BS that the media corps enforce on everyone. To be fair though I'm really big on documentaries and comedies which seem to have longer lives on Netflix streaming.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2012, 13:26.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 12:58 The Half Elf

I agree that was my biggest issue with getting rid of Netflix. The streaming catalog has suffered, and anything I want to watch I'd rather get via Blockbuster via mail, or Hulu.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 12:41 SimplyMonk

Pure streaming has take a huge hit in content as of late, in my opinion. Used to have a large number of options there, but in the last year I would say a lot of good stuff has been taken down. It is honestly hard to say that Netflix Streaming is any better than just getting an Amazon Prime account which has basically the same streaming content plus Kindle library and 2-day free shipping.

Hulu has a lot more TV as well that Netflix doesn't have.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 12:17 Verno

I find Netflix to be a really good back catalog and a solid supplemental to OTA television. Well worth the money, they took a dredging over some silly decisions but the product itself is constantly improving and still an awesome value proposition.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 11:42 Axis

Now's the time to buy netflix stock! Regardless of this, I know more and more people ditching cable/dish/etc and going pure netflix.

More importantly, most of us would gladly pay more if they raised their prices.

So ya...

Yours truly,

Axis

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo