Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 08:45 Ant

Jim wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 13:43:
I don't think it's a required upgrade. I'm still running on 10.6 with no issues.
10.5.x and older aren't supported. 10.6 is the last supported version for now...

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 26, 2012, 09:47 wtf_man

Still on Snow Leopard and have no intention of upgrading, ever.

Mainly because my iMac is feeling it's age and has thermal issues (have to have the front cover off)... and I will be replacing it with a new Mac Mini.

So, basically, my next OSX "upgrade" will come with my next new Mac.

As for features... I haven't seen anything in Lion and Mountain Lion that I would want. At least the IOS app crap isn't default, like Winblows 8 Metro. And I definetly don't want my shit in the cloud... so there better be a way to avoid signing up for iCloud, as there was for my iPad 3.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 22:36 SectorEffector

I'm a 50-60 FPS fiend, I was hoping to get good FPS in those.

Diablo III in OSX won't get you near that at 2880x1800 but at 2048x1280 it's butter, I just keep everything high, except shadows on medium (blurry) and turn off AA (edges still look great)

In Win7, I can get high 30's and 40's with Diablo III at 2880x1800 same settings as OSX. Super smooth at 2048x1280 in Windows.

Crysis 2 runs high 40' at 2048x1280, not 60 or 50 at 2880x1800, most settings maxed except AA and post fx

Battlefield 3 is somewhat modern and that's great at 2048x1280 as well. High Settings on all expect Post AA and actual AA settings.

Skyrim with high res textures averages at 39-46 fps at 2048x1280, at 2880x1800 it's playable, just not as smooth as what I look for. High settings, nothing handicapped down graphics wise.

any of these titles is pure buttery FPS joy with res near 1680x1050 or 1440x900 etc.

Some will say not being able to game at 2880x1800 in all games is worthless and thats fine, but I LOVE working in Maya, Softimage, or Max and other 3D packages in windows at 2880x1800.

I love it for photography and looking at the web isn't this horrendous experience.

Windows Chrome is smooth as shit, 2880x1800, AERO etc.

in Lion (Retina comes with it) , web browsing is sluggish with Retina, then I upgraded to Mountain Lion and Safari is smoother than shit now.

Mountain Lion just gave my desktop a smooth feel.

Waiting for a chrome update to address the browsing not being smooth.

Other than that the web looks fine even when sites aren't optimized, the graphics that may look pixelated just look how they would on a 1440x900 monitor.

I'm very satisfied so far

Just simmed 678 gigs of simulation data for some VFX work I've been busy with, this laptops not bad, just overpriced a tad, but I love solid aluminum cases. My PC Rigs I use to simulated effects work with are all coolermaster Stackers, or PC's built into Mac Pro cases... and my Stacker cases were pretty overpriced too.

mmmm... delicious aluminum cases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 20:50 Kitkoan

SectorEffector wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:13:
Everyone compares this to win 8 on the fact that it brings in some of the phone UI but I disagree, Metro forces you to use it, you don't have to use Launchpad to launch apps or work in Mountain Lion. I'd say it's just an improved version of lion.

UI response and overall smoothness is MUCH MUCH better in Mountain Lion, even on my old Macbook pro. It's been really nice on my Retina Macbook Pro.

Win Vista = Lion
Win 7 = Mountain Lion.

Ya they are off by years, but I'd say Leopard was horrible and was made really smooth with Snow Leopard.

Lion was sorta a pain and is much better with Mountain Lion.

My Review.

sidenote: Playing Diablo III or HL2 Ep 2 at 2880x1800 just rocks..

in Windows I can play BF3 at 2000+ resolutions too, settings on high except shadows which is at medium.

Love my Retina Mac Can't wait for PC Laptops to adopt a 2880 res.

Windows doesn't look like shit either, works fine with DPI settings.

Are What settings are you playing those games and how many FPS? Any other games? Perferably more modern. Friend is looking into getting one but I'm trying to steer him away since every review I've read that stops going on about the screen keeps making it seem like my first impression of it was right. It keeps sounding like a semi truck being powered by a prius engine. I heard reports of it crawling get around during 20fps on Facebook Web surfing. The only decent gaming scores over read always have the screen toned down to 1400-700ish (half the screen size). The only review I read with the full resolution was of Diablo 3 doing good a 'smooth' 15-18 fps and they didn't tell what the rest of the game settings were (max? Min? Makes a big difference.)

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 19:13 SectorEffector

Everyone compares this to win 8 on the fact that it brings in some of the phone UI but I disagree, Metro forces you to use it, you don't have to use Launchpad to launch apps or work in Mountain Lion. I'd say it's just an improved version of lion.

UI response and overall smoothness is MUCH MUCH better in Mountain Lion, even on my old Macbook pro. It's been really nice on my Retina Macbook Pro.

Win Vista = Lion
Win 7 = Mountain Lion.

Ya they are off by years, but I'd say Leopard was horrible and was made really smooth with Snow Leopard.

Lion was sorta a pain and is much better with Mountain Lion.

My Review.

sidenote: Playing Diablo III or HL2 Ep 2 at 2880x1800 just rocks..

in Windows I can play BF3 at 2000+ resolutions too, settings on high except shadows which is at medium.

Love my Retina Mac Can't wait for PC Laptops to adopt a 2880 res.

Windows doesn't look like shit either, works fine with DPI settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 14:44 jdreyer

[url=][/url]
Alamar wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 11:34:
A link so nice, he posts it twice...

As an owner of an iMac... Meh... It's a required upgrade, which I'm going to be always bitter about, but I don't know what, if anything, it adds...

-Alamar

Is that your primary computer? Do you game on it? Or do you have a Windows machine too?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 13:43 Jim

I don't think it's a required upgrade. I'm still running on 10.6 with no issues.  
Jim

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 13:07 sliv

Mountain Lion is just a minor upgrade since the next OS isn't ready yet. Several things I'm happy about, Notification Center (to replace the buggy Growl), Messages (to replace the buggy beta version), WiFi screen mirroring to the AppleTV and extended iCloud support.

Not trying to over-hype a minimal upgrade, but it is an upgrade I have been waiting for. Probably not for everyone.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 11:34 Alamar

A link so nice, he posts it twice...

As an owner of an iMac... Meh... It's a required upgrade, which I'm going to be always bitter about, but I don't know what, if anything, it adds...

-Alamar

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo