Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream

Steam News announces an automatic update is now live for Left 4 Dead 2, brining the long-awaited free Cold Stream DLC to the Windows and OS X editions of the co-op zombie shooter. VG247 points out that this tweet has word on what Xbox 360 owners should expect: "we are working with MS on a release schedule. We don't have an ETA yet but we hope to have it out soon. It will be 560pts."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 25, 2012, 11:53 Topevoli

Dev wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 06:18:
Nighthawk wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 05:52:
You could always pick it up on steam for...the current SALE price of the game, and never get charged for DLC's.
75% off ATM $5 for another 30h
$8 for both 1 and 2
I agree, thats the best option... to play it on PC anyway.

So pretty much you can buy the entire game on PC for cheaper than you can get a single act(?) on Xbox.

I wish people stop saying that PC gaming is more expensive. I haven't upgraded in a couple years and when I do its a video card for $150.. I have saved more than that buying $7.50 games on Steam that are still $40-60 bucks on Xbox.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 25, 2012, 08:51 Verno

gray wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 08:01:
MS do not allow free DLC.

Pretty much. We've heard from numerous devs and companies like Valve about Microsofts stance against free content, it's well documented at this point. They don't have an official ruling on it but they make it as difficult as possible with numerous obstacles and costs in the certification process. The only exceptions seem to be games they publish or items to promote to peripherals like the chatpad or Kinect. Microsoft's corporate culture is losing the indies already and I wouldn't be shocked if the publishers are more heavy handed in the next round of consoles as they know the manufacturers will be fighting against several different gaming markets now.

Anyway they made some nice changes to Cold Stream although a few of the panic events still feel way too long. It's definitely a large improvement over the early betas though.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2012, 09:03.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 25, 2012, 08:49 nin

Incorrect.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 25, 2012, 08:26 Beamer

Patently untrue - plenty of games have had free DLC. The Gunstringer released a huge expansion for free.

And no explanation here goes as far as explaining the price. Plenty of games release DLC for 100 points. Here it's 560. You can't really blame "Microsoft is forcing them to charge" when the price is so high.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 25, 2012, 08:01 gray

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 25, 2012, 06:18 Dev

Nighthawk wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 05:52:
You could always pick it up on steam for...the current SALE price of the game, and never get charged for DLC's.
$8 for both 1 and 2
I agree, thats the best option... to play it on PC anyway.

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 25, 2012, 05:52 Nighthawk

$8 for both 1 and 2

6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 25, 2012, 03:56 Dev

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 02:11:
560 points... Ouch. That's what happens when MS charges developers to update their dang games, I'm sure Valve would love to give it away for free but they're having to recoup some costs.
No, they don't have to recoup anything, they have plenty of money and income from other sources. If it was only a $40k patch cost, they might even do it for free.

HOWEVER, it could be that MS charges devs for each DLC download, and they have to cover the cost of that. I don't know the details of the financial agreements between big publishers and DLC and MS.

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 25, 2012, 02:11 jacobvandy

560 points... Ouch. That's what happens when MS charges developers to update their dang games, I'm sure Valve would love to give it away for free but they're having to recoup some costs.  

4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 24, 2012, 23:55 Undead Scottsman

Source Film Maker  

3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 24, 2012, 23:14 Prez

Help me out here - SFM?  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 24, 2012, 22:45 Dev

Also, valve just patched SFM to add L4D survivor models  

1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - L4D2 Cold Stream Jul 24, 2012, 21:48 mch

I was about to ask "wasn't this already out in beta?" then as I launched L4D2 to check, I noticed I had the achievement for finishing it.

Guess so!

PSN: CaseDesignate

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo