Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2

Radical Entertainment announces that the Windows edition of PROTOTYPE 2 is now available in North American stores and the open world action sequel is also available via digital distribution. The game's European release is expected on Friday. Here's word:

PROTOTYPE® 2 has broken out of the NYZ's quarantine zone and is available at retailers nationwide with today's launch of the game for Windows PC. All boxed launch copies and pre-ordered digital download copies of PROTOTYPE 2 for Windows PC will include free access to the RADNET Edition content - over 55 pieces of additional challenges, events and rewards including the Alex Mercer playable skin. From Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), fans can pick up PROTOTYPE 2 for Windows PC in-stores and via digital download in North America beginning today, and will be available in Europe on July 27, 2012. The game will require a computer that meets or exceeds the below specifications:

Minimum PC Specs Recommended Specs
OS Windows® XP/Vista/7 Windows® 7
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 Intel Core 2 Quad 2.7 GHz or better, AMD Phenom II X4 3 GHz or better
Memory 2 GB 4 GB
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT series with 512 MB RAM or ATI Radeon HD 4850 with 512 MB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB) / ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB) or better
DirectX Version 9.0C or later
Disk Space 10 GB
Sound Card Any DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
Supported Input Devices Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox 360® Controller

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 26, 2012, 12:49 Quinn

Beamer, I now of this moment labeled you as a shortsighted bigot. Congratulations.

I didn't at all say nor imply what you just pretended I said. If that's how you wanna read it, go ahead.

You're one of the things that's severely wrong with the world today.

edit/add: Indeed, you're the bigot. So very intolerable -- insulting people -- the very moment they express a harmless opinion that can only be interpreted harmful when you desperately, and quite prejudicely so, search for it. Reverse discrimination ftw.

"I don't like Brokeback Mountain."
"Gay-hater!"
*sigh*

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 14:20.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 26, 2012, 11:26 Beamer

Quinn wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 10:52:
Oh come on, stop acting like a bunch of self-righteous assholes.

I said two important things in my last post:

1. I'm not a racist;
2. I admitted I don't know why I have an immersion issue with playing a black guy.

But because of point 1, it's simply dumb to assume I'm still a racist anyway. Because I don't know why I have an immersion problem, doesn't mean I don't know whether I'm a racist or not. I know for certain I'm not. Period.

I can now start guessing a bit to answer point 2, but I won't. I don't like playing a black guy just as much as I don't like playing a woman. Does that now make me a racist AND a misogynist? Jesus, guys... go easy on me T_T

"I'm not racist, I just hate black people. Stop calling me racist when I clearly said I'm not!"

And yes, yes it does make you both.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 26, 2012, 10:52 Quinn

Oh come on, stop acting like a bunch of self-righteous assholes.

I said two important things in my last post:

1. I'm not a racist;
2. I admitted I don't know why I have an immersion issue with playing a black guy.

But because of point 1, it's simply dumb to assume I'm still a racist anyway. Because I don't know why I have an immersion problem, doesn't mean I don't know whether I'm a racist or not. I know for certain I'm not. Period.

I can now start guessing a bit to answer point 2, but I won't. I don't like playing a black guy just as much as I don't like playing a woman. Does that now make me a racist AND a misogynist? Jesus, guys... go easy on me T_T

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 26, 2012, 07:47 eRe4s3r

Good thing you have a hue setting in your video drivers  

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 26, 2012, 02:35 Jerykk

I can't play most games because I'm not comfortable playing white people.  

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 25, 2012, 17:00 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 14:53:
Quinn wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 11:32:
I'm gonna try the game, but I think I'll have an immersion problem because you play as an african american. Go shout "racist!" but that's not it -- AT ALL! What's it then? Well, can't put my finger on it...

Yeah, man, that's the same reason I could never play Mario (I don't have a mustache) or Doom (I'm not a space marine) or Deus Ex (I'm not a monotone cyborg) or LittleBig Planet (I'm not a stuffed animal.)

I can only play The Sims, because I can make a perfect little mirror image of myself and watch him do the things I do, like sit at a computer.

Classic.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 25, 2012, 14:53 Beamer

Quinn wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 11:32:
I'm gonna try the game, but I think I'll have an immersion problem because you play as an african american. Go shout "racist!" but that's not it -- AT ALL! What's it then? Well, can't put my finger on it...

Yeah, man, that's the same reason I could never play Mario (I don't have a mustache) or Doom (I'm not a space marine) or Deus Ex (I'm not a monotone cyborg) or LittleBig Planet (I'm not a stuffed animal.)

I can only play The Sims, because I can make a perfect little mirror image of myself and watch him do the things I do, like sit at a computer.

If it isn't racism, what is it? You're clearly incredibly hung up on skin tone, likely more than even whether something is human or not. And you call it an "immersion problem" but you're playing a game in 3rd person with a HUD and ripping limbs off of things...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 25, 2012, 14:43 Verno

You're pretty much on your own there Quinn.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 25, 2012, 11:32 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 25, 2012, 09:59 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 07:39:
Unless the driver versions are mentioned you can never be sure what the issue is. I downgraded back from the R304 series of nvidia drivers because of DOZENS of issues in games, using 295.73 right now, on a 460 GTX and have no issues whatsoever. That said, I can't say whether I have issues in prototype 2 because it ain't out in my region ;p

But when in doubt, downgrade from the R300 series drivers

Another reason why I don't bother with ATI cards. I really hate that ATI users will inevitably be the ones with issues when a new game gets released.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 25, 2012, 07:39 eRe4s3r

Unless the driver versions are mentioned you can never be sure what the issue is. I downgraded back from the R304 series of nvidia drivers because of DOZENS of issues in games, using 295.73 right now, on a 460 GTX and have no issues whatsoever. That said, I can't say whether I have issues in prototype 2 because it ain't out in my region ;p

But when in doubt, downgrade from the R300 series drivers

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 25, 2012, 07:11 Dades

Alamar wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 21:49:
However, for me, and my 5+ hours played today... no issues... No noticeable rendering 'lag' or choppiness... I'm also running a 3840x1080 res (dual monitors), but playing on one, so the game is in 1920x1080.

i7-2700k, GT 560i 448...

Issues won't get fixed because the developer was shut down. Many people with systems similar to or far superior to yours are experiencing problems. It is not a good port.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 25, 2012, 02:12 Jerykk

Alamar wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 21:49:
WyldKat wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 17:07:
Totalbiscuit &#8207;@Totalbiscuit

Confirming game runs like crap on a 3930k and GTX680 as soon as you leave the tutorial. Turning off options yields no results. AVOID

Sounds like a poorly optimized, shitty console port at that.

Quoting a dumbass FTL...

I imagine, like many games, there are some H/W kinks to work out... Hopefully it gets fixed...

However, for me, and my 5+ hours played today... no issues... No noticeable rendering 'lag' or choppiness... I'm also running a 3840x1080 res (dual monitors), but playing on one, so the game is in 1920x1080.

i7-2700k, GT 560i 448...

-Alamar

So... it runs at a constant 60 FPS?

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 25, 2012, 01:19 .Drifter

Bought the first game, regretted it after.
First off, had a bit of a volume issue, pumped up the volume that was ok.
Second issue was the mouse. I had a Microsoft sidewinder, game had a known issue with that mouse in that if it was plugged, in on certain computer configurations, when you launched the game, then the game ran like crap. Unplug the mouse, or disable HID usb devices, and it ran OK.
Rare final issue was that it randomly locked up or crashed.

I will say though, that after disabling HID devices in device manager, unplugging my mouse, jacking my speakers up pretty high, closing every single program running in task manager, and managing to get the game to run without crashing . . . it was kinda fun.
Absolutely no PC support what so ever for the first one though.
I do not not expect any for the second, especially since the developer is DOA, and most especially because it's published by Activision.

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 24, 2012, 21:49 Alamar

Confirming game runs like crap on a 3930k and GTX680 as soon as you leave the tutorial. Turning off options yields no results. AVOID

Quoting a dumbass FTL...

I imagine, like many games, there are some H/W kinks to work out... Hopefully it gets fixed...

i7-2700k, GT 560i 448...

-Alamar

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 24, 2012, 20:01 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 19:14:
It's hard to find PC-specific reviews of this, but here's a comment I found by user Glavius over at Metacritic:

This game is actually unplayable on my computer. The game suffers numerous crashes, has hard locked my system, and feels like Activision has just pushed out a straight console port. Today steam unlocked Prototype 2 and having pre-loaded it I quickly launched it on my default computer. An Intel Core I7-3770, dual ATI 6990's, and 8GB of ram on a 64-bit Windows 7 system. The game would not start with all 4 graphics cards enabled (the 6990 is a dual-gpu card). As such I had to disable down to one card. I game on three 30" HP LP3065 monitors each running a resolution of 2560x1600. Prototype 2 does not even SUPPORT 2560x1600 and as such I'm forced to run at a non-native resolution of 1920x1200. With the single ati 6990 (the others are disabled using Radeon Pro) the game stutters and chugs.

Considering they cut most of (if not all of) the team, I'm not surprised. It's a quick cash grab...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 24, 2012, 19:14 jdreyer

It's hard to find PC-specific reviews of this, but here's a comment I found by user Glavius over at Metacritic:

This game is actually unplayable on my computer. The game suffers numerous crashes, has hard locked my system, and feels like Activision has just pushed out a straight console port. Today steam unlocked Prototype 2 and having pre-loaded it I quickly launched it on my default computer. An Intel Core I7-3770, dual ATI 6990's, and 8GB of ram on a 64-bit Windows 7 system. The game would not start with all 4 graphics cards enabled (the 6990 is a dual-gpu card). As such I had to disable down to one card. I game on three 30" HP LP3065 monitors each running a resolution of 2560x1600. Prototype 2 does not even SUPPORT 2560x1600 and as such I'm forced to run at a non-native resolution of 1920x1200. With the single ati 6990 (the others are disabled using Radeon Pro) the game stutters and chugs.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 24, 2012, 19:00 ASeven

And since the dev house that made this has been shut down by Acti some time ago the chances of a PC patch are 0 and none.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 24, 2012, 17:07 WyldKat

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - PROTOTYPE 2 Jul 24, 2012, 16:04 Bet

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 13:50:
Tables ftw
There's something wrong with us for liking the fact that Blue used a table here.

I like it too, apparently the almost-exact PC I built in August 2006 is the minimum requirement (cutting edge tech then, the C2D had just been released), though the revolutionary Geforce 8 was about 3 months later. And now 6 years later, all a minimum requirement. Interesting stuff. Meanwhile consoles have completely stagnated.

Yay tables!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo