Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 23:20 PHJF

I didn't even bother picking up FFXIII-2 which is the first FF game in the series I haven't purchased.

The sad thing is FFXIII-2 is supposed to be much better, but XIII was so bad there is absolutely nothing Square could do to get me to try it short of sending it to my door with the most beautiful woman in Japan to henceforth serve as my lifelong slave, sexual and otherwise.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 17:18 Cyanotetyphas

FFXIII gets good literally the second you finish the game and go back to do the end game stuff. Then you get an interesting mix of exploration and strategy that was very compelling. I never thought I would get sick of cut scenes but once those were over it was a real breath of fresh air.
I don't know why they spend so much time on their weird mini-Japan moon, that world was very fake to me and Pulse was much more convincing and interesting.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 14:59 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 12:17:
...the battle mechanics were incredibly shallow.

I agree pretty much verbatim, but actually finished the game. The only part I will disagree with you on is that the battle mechanics actually worked out fairly well for me. I thought it was the strongest point of the game, although I know that isn't saying much, and compared to previous battle systems I don't see how it is any more shallow especially with titles like Final Fantasy VIII and IX. I think what I enjoyed best about it is that I didn't have to completely micromanage my healers and support characters unless I felt like it. Plus it was visually stunning using Lightning or Fang as your main character, but that is pure personal opinion.

Although I can't speak for your tastes, I do hear that FFXIII-2 improved almost every aspect of FFXIII but left the combat style in. I have it, but haven't had time to crack the cover yet (mainly due to my fiance wanting to beat XIII first ;P), but I hear good things from friends a lot more picky than I.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2012, 15:50.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 13:46 Verno

Get a Nintendo DS dude, all of the old school JRPGs moved to handhelds for some reason. A used PSP isn't a bad investment either, it has a few decent ones. I got like 60 hours of Jeanne D'arc and FFIV After Years alone. I haven't seen any decent ones for the Vita or 3DS yet though  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 13:39 avianflu

agreed Verno -- I buy jrpg's hoping they will be more like the ones from the 90's but its all cut-scenes and glossy stuff. Persona 3's comabt was interesting if you can get thru the dating simulation parts....  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 12:17 Verno

avianflu wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 12:08:
I got FFXIII for 5 bucks last week -- that game was for me the exact opposite of what I would ever want in an RPG. HOURS of cutscenes with adolescent characters. Battle was mostly automatic. RPG character building was surprisingly super-linear. Yikes.

Yeah it was pretty awful. I'm a huge JRPG nut, they are my guilty pleasure. I thought people were exaggerating about the corridor-fest in FFXIII but no, if anything it was worse than they said. By the time I finally made it to Gran Pulse I was just done. The story was nonsensical dreck, the characters were absolutely worthless and the battle mechanics were incredibly shallow. I know Square has a boner for interactive movies but FFXIII was just too far. I didn't even bother picking up FFXIII-2 which is the first FF game in the series I haven't purchased. Between that and FFXIV they have potentially damaged the brand permanently in North America.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 12:08 avianflu

I got FFXIII for 5 bucks last week -- that game was for me the exact opposite of what I would ever want in an RPG. HOURS of cutscenes with adolescent characters. Battle was mostly automatic. RPG character building was surprisingly super-linear. Yikes.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 11:05 Verno

Square Enix quashes FF Versus XIII cancellation rumours.

Another swing and a miss for Kotaku. Oh well, I actually wanted that one to be true. Square is going to bankrupt themselves trying to ship that game.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo