Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

There is non-stop coverage in the media about the shooting at the Batman premiere, with an obsession with the answer to "why" this would happen. The answer is easy: To get non-stop coverage in the media.

R.I.P.: Sally Ride dies at 61; was first American woman sent into space. Thanks Ant via Slashdot.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Gears And Chains.
Happy Dead Friends: Players Pack.
Stories: 21 burned in walk over hot coals at Robbins event.
Navy: Sub worker set fire so he could leave early.
Science: Mystery Tug on Spacecraft Is Einstein’s ‘I Told You So’. Thanks j.c.f.
Lab-engineered jellyfish may mend a broken heart.
Media: NoPUNintendo.
Gymnast Cat Highbar Routine.
Jinx the dog says “nope”.
Follow-up: "Knight Rises" Scores $249M Global Haul.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2012, 04:27 eRe4s3r

Maybe because he didn't make those with an inflated ego Who knows  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2012, 18:44 nin

or basically, nolan is the most overated POS director in existence.

Wow. I'm pretty sure you're in the minority on that one. Inception and Dark Knight were excellent movies.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2012, 17:35 eRe4s3r

Nolan is only good at making predictable plots that have absolutely no coherent connection to each other, he makes up characters that only serve to push the plot, they have 0 depth (the russian model is the perfect example, the mother in hospital plot is another example, the entire hongkong plot is another example)

or basically, nolan is the most overated POS director in existence. He can't ever make a good movie because he doesn't understand why his movies are not good movies. Batman is teleporting all ove rthe place, and most scenes have no physical connection with each other, and more often than not he even ret-cons story parts in the same god damn movie. He can't even keep a script coherent in itself for a single movie. Fuck this overrated crap

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 21:17 Mr. Tact

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 19:26:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 11:03:
Too bad, without the shooting it looks like TDKR might have set the record for a release weekend.

Do those records ever matter? Without inflation I always find them amusing.
*shrug* Does any record matter? Comparing even sporting events from several decades ago to now is not really "fair". It is simply the nature of things.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 19:30 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 14:21:
We have an awesome Panny plasma, a pretty decent sound system and leather seats with cup holders

That's my man cave to a T, so I rarely go to the theater (having a 4 year old doesn't help either.)

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 19:26 AngelicPenguin

Too bad, without the shooting it looks like TDKR might have set the record for a release weekend.

Do those records ever matter? Without inflation I always find them amusing.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 17:42 PropheT

Julio wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 16:05:
The Batman movie was mediocre...overly long, lacking much of a plot and the plot that was there was completely predictable with no surprises.

I actually agree, unfortunately.

And I thought Bane was ridiculous. I laughed despite myself the first time I heard him talk, it just an "oh man, really?" moment. He sounds like and has the lines of Shredder from an old TMNT cartoon...there was actually laughter in the theater the first time you hear his voice. I don't think that was what they were going for.

A lot of the movie's story was forced, and worst of all it was boring for a long portion of the movie. It's a Batman movie, and Batman is barely in it. Hathaway was fine as Catwoman, but she could be cut out of the movie and it wouldn't matter much.

I loved the very end, mostly because of the characters and actors I'd loved from the other movies, but leading up to it was so predictable that it was like watching a movie I'd already seen and I was just ready for it to be over. Everyone I went with was disappointed

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 16:45 space captain

non-stop!  
Go forth, and kill!

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 16:25 nin

I felt he was a good villain and his voice was excellent.

In the screening I was in, his voice felt too loud. I understand they had to have him redub his lines to add clarity, but it seems like they should have lowered the volume a bit.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 16:20 Fibrocyte

nin wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 16:13:
The Batman movie was mediocre...overly long, lacking much of a plot and the plot that was there was completely predictable with no surprises.

I'd wait for it to hit Redbox.

I wouldn't call it mediocre, but the pacing felt off to me. While I realize this is Bruce Wayne's story, it felt like too much time was spent there (S: The whole "Bruce goes to prison" piece ran waaay too long, and felt like it was just a way for him to have something to do for a bit), and not enough of Batman kicking everyones ass...

As an end to a trilogy, it was ok (and I appreciated how it tied into the first one), but by itself, I felt it was easily the weakest of the three.

I enjoyed this one. Something did feel off, maybe it was just too much Nolan+Batman and felt like more of the same stuff we got in the first 2 movies.

However, I really enjoyed Bane. I felt he was a good villain and his voice was excellent.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 16:14 Fibrocyte

Yakubs wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 11:13:

That's bullshit. An excuse that studio suits would use to cover their asses.

You're right -- it had zero impact.

Were you born in your fantasy world or did you walk through a magical portal to get there?

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 16:13 nin

I wouldn't call it mediocre, but the pacing felt off to me. While I realize this is Bruce Wayne's story, it felt like too much time was spent there (S: The whole "Bruce goes to prison" piece ran waaay too long, and felt like it was just a way for him to have something to do for a bit), and not enough of Batman kicking everyones ass...

As an end to a trilogy, it was ok (and I appreciated how it tied into the first one), but by itself, I felt it was easily the weakest of the three.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 16:05 Julio

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 15:35 Bet

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 15:23:
Bet wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 10:46:
The media sensationalizing violence to get more viewers? Improbable!

RIP Sally Ride

Here's the extreme ends of humanity ensconced in these two people. One is a real American hero who risked her life for science and exploration. The other is a cold blooded murderer who didn't even have the courtesy to take his own life.
That's poignant.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 15:29 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 15:12:
Speaking of MCD, I didn't see it publicized much, but he had a heart attack a few weeks ago and is still recovering. Sounds like he was lucky, in that his girlfriend found him and performed CPR.

Yeh, it was on CNN's front page for a while under the little "Entertainment" portlet/section. And it made the TV news by me.

But all-in-all, not a lot of mention.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 15:23 jdreyer

Bet wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 10:46:
The media sensationalizing violence to get more viewers? Improbable!

RIP Sally Ride

Here's the extreme ends of humanity ensconced in these two people. One is a real American hero who risked her life for science and exploration. The other is a cold blooded murderer who didn't even have the courtesy to take his own life.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 15:12 nin

Speaking of MCD, I didn't see it publicized much, but he had a heart attack a few weeks ago and is still recovering. Sounds like he was lucky, in that his girlfriend found him and performed CPR.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 15:07 Cutter

IF I go to the theater - which is exceedingly rare - I'll only do so on a matinee on Monday or something when the least amount of people are going to be there.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 14:57 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 14:21:
Normally a stern warning will get teens to stop dicking around with the cellphones too, although that just may be my Barry White voice ;)

Dude, some little preppy guy was on the phone a couple years ago. Some huge guy that looked like Michael Clarke Duncan's older + bigger + meaner brother approached him to stop. Seriously, a BIG dude who either played Pro Football or was secretly "Power Man / Luke Cage" from Marvel Comics did NOT look happy even though he was trying to be polite-yet-intimidating.

And they guy started giving him hell saying he would talk if he wanted to. Of course, the resulting argument was making more noise than his phone call. The guy looked like he could snap the talker in two, and yet he STILL refused and continued to talk more later. And no, the talker wasn't with friends or a girl and trying to show off... he was just a jerk.

Some people.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 14:57 Mordecai Walfish

necrosis wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 11:13:
Einstein, 57 years after his death and we are still proving his theories correct.

I think we can make a drinking game out of this? How about a beer every day until he's proven wrong. Starting... NOW!

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo