Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 25, 2012, 05:18 Dmitri_M

Kitkoan wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 18:31:
Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 08:39:
I'm selective with what I post using my real name. The only thing I have under it online is a very mundane flickr account where I post safe travel photos that I'm happy for HR people related to future employers to find. It's better for them to find SOMETHING googling you, rather than no presence at all..

When you have a common name like mine, its a meaningless concept to be able to possibly find something about me on Google, as you'd have to dig many pages in remote hopes of finding the one unique me. Facebook too
Yeah my name is unusual enough that I'm pretty sure I'm the only one out there with it :\ Certainly am from a google search perspective.

Hippie parents combining a first name that has no historical or cultural reason for being paired with my last name, which is unusual enough in and of itself.

I have a friend with an extremely common name who is impossible to find online by the sheer number of duplicates out there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 22:53 Prez

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 10:25:
17-year-old sexual assault victim could face charges for tweeting names of attackers.

Justice System FAIL....

Well, not knowing anything about the case, (and not caring to), if you assume for a second she wasn't actually assaulted by these guys then it is a clear case of libel. Isn't that one reason lawyers tell you not to speak about the impending case at all?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 18:31 Kitkoan

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 08:39:
I'm selective with what I post using my real name. The only thing I have under it online is a very mundane flickr account where I post safe travel photos that I'm happy for HR people related to future employers to find. It's better for them to find SOMETHING googling you, rather than no presence at all..

When you have a common name like mine, its a meaningless concept to be able to possibly find something about me on Google, as you'd have to dig many pages in remote hopes of finding the one unique me. Facebook too

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

17. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 11:44 wallace321

She failed to follow the ruling of the justice system.

Dred Scott v. Sandford

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dred_Scott_v._Sandford

Just thought I would throw that out there.

16. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 10:55 Sepharo

She failed to follow the ruling of the justice system.  

15. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 10:25 xXBatmanXx

17-year-old sexual assault victim could face charges for tweeting names of attackers.

Justice System FAIL....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 10:15 Verno

I look at it this way, you don't really gain anything by using your personal name on the internet. There are a lot of remote scenarios for negative things but very few (if any) positives so why bother? In fact if you care at all about having your info harvested, profiled and whatever then you can argue you actually lose quite a bit. I keep a basic Facebook page for friends and family, that's about it. Even that I'm pretty careful with, its just first name last name, no proper DOB or etc.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 09:59 Armengar

I never use my real name on the internet. I never use my real DOB or personal email address either. I have a disposable full-of-spam hotmail accout for that.

Paranoid I might be but thats how I roll.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 08:39 Dmitri_M

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2012, 08:50.

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 07:07 Dades

People using their real names doesn't make them anymore accountable for their actions online. It's also pretty easy to lie about your real name on a G+ or Facebook profile. This won't stop the creepy, racist or mentally ill people and just serves to expose others to that crowd. It's a bad idea no matter how comfortable anyone is with it.  

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 06:02 Prez

Google Begins Practically Begging You to Use Your Real Name on YouTube

Again, people will all call me nuts but I already do and have been since I signed up 12 years ago. I just don't see any reasons not to. In just one of the five boroughs of New York City alone there are 11 other people who share my name. That's in one small part of one city in the US. I think I'm okay, unless a Terminator starts systematically wiping us out. Even then, it'll take him a while to get to me if he goes in order and by then my future protector would surely have already arrived to protect me (I hope she is WAY hot). I would never tell people they have to do the same as most people prefer the comfort of anonymity. I get that the majority of people are uncomfortable with the transparency; I'm just not one of them.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 02:55 Kitkoan

Cutter wrote on Jul 24, 2012, 01:24:
Lorcin wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 22:00:
Hey Google

My wife's an ex-topless model who's 36fs are still on multiple websites. But her real name is hidden under 3 layers of aliases which has paid dividends as she's currently doing teacher training.

Not everybody want's their real life and their virtual life linked up.

I understand that for females. However, as a male, paricularly if I was like that guy with the huge schlong who got stopped by the TSA the other day I'd probably be col with it. Hell, I'd probably insist on it.

Three words: Star Wars Kid.

There is a reason even for guys not wanting real names and all

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 01:36 xornand

Hey Google

Go fuck yourself.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 01:24 Cutter

Lorcin wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 22:00:
Hey Google

My wife's an ex-topless model who's 36fs are still on multiple websites. But her real name is hidden under 3 layers of aliases which has paid dividends as she's currently doing teacher training.

I understand that for females. However, as a male, paricularly if I was like that guy with the huge schlong who got stopped by the TSA the other day I'd probably be col with it. Hell, I'd probably insist on it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 00:54 killer_roach

330Mbit FTTN trial? Damn impressive, especially considering I'm stuck with 18Mbit FTTN at present.  

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 00:43 Sepharo

It's a hit piece. Obviously didn't do the research on G+ names which as Kitkoan said is old news.  

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 24, 2012, 00:17 Kitkoan

Google+ dropped the need for pseudonyms long ago.

I have a Google+ account for the video chat options (video quality is much higher then Skype) and I use a pseudonym. And its obviously a pseudonym. They dropped that need way back in January.

And this is a one time question with obvious answers to help make sure you don't do it by default. They aren't trying to trick you into making your name a real name, they aren't trying to trick you into using a Google+ name. It has a big button clearly stating "I don't want to use my full name."

Must be a slow news day I guess...

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 23, 2012, 23:21 NegaDeath

Dear Google:

First you wanted my cell phone number
Now you want my real name
Next you'll want my address
Next you'll want my SSN
Next you'll want to implant an ID chip
Next you'll want my brain connected to the Overmind

All I can say is "All hail the Overmind!" err I mean screw you google.

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 23, 2012, 22:00 Lorcin

Hey Google

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 23, 2012, 21:41 nin

Actually she's in the clear.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo