Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 17:47 Crustacean Soup

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 20:27:
Yes I'm aware console limitations typically restrict games to 32 players max in one arena. And that's about the only limitation a person can point to.

Again, you don't really see many differences because games are designed to be ported to the consoles, or designed on them from the get-go. The most they usually change are player/NPC counts because that's easier than changing a game's entire design.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 24, 2012, 04:58 reisub

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 16:56:
Hey, at least you can tell a strange woman in Britain that you're going to "knock" her up tomorrow and not get slapped! :o
Oh, I think you generally still would. ^^

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 22:31 Silicon Avatar

If good graphics become a commodity maybe developers will finally focus on things like better world simulation and AI just to differentiate themselves.

It'd be funny if we finally got decent AI just because everybody already had all the eye candy they cared about.

20. Re: Motorstorm Jul 23, 2012, 21:07 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 18:24:
I always thought that was a pretty cool looking game, but since I only play PC titles, never played it. Is there anything on the PC that's similar?

You didn't miss anything. Graphics were very good for a console launch title, but actual gameplay was meh. I think there were several titles that came to PC that were better in terms of graphics and gameplay. But similar... probably not much.

This is the problem with new gen console hardware. We see lots of dazzling video and have no idea about what titles are like to play. And most launch titles are going to go out of their way to push the boundaries of graphics hardware but give no clue what it's like to actually play them. Hence most games that were not designed for a previous platform suck gameplay-wise but excel graphically.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 20:59 jdreyer

Apparently Skyrim is CPU limited, since it's running a huge simulated world in the background even when players aren't there to observe it.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 20:49 Sepharo

"It's been a long time since we could just put out crap and sell it on the fancy new graphics alone."  

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 20:27 NegaDeath

Crustacean Soup wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 19:13:
So not even close to true. RAM and CPU are big limitations right now, and affect far more than just visuals. Ever notice how multiplatform games have lower player limits on consoles than on the PC (even the ones that use dedicated servers)? That's just the tip of the iceburg. Since many PC games are also multiplatform they're limited by the consoles, so you don't see how it could be if the consoles were less constraining.

Yes I'm aware console limitations typically restrict games to 32 players max in one arena. And that's about the only limitation a person can point to. PC darling The Witcher2 is being back-ported with content intact. Anything blizzard makes would fit. Square managed to pull off an MMO that shared the servers with PC players LAST gen. Sony says even Planetside2 is possible to be ported with reduced player counts. So as I said, in terms of game design they can still do pretty much anything they want.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 19:13 Crustacean Soup

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:14:
Quite frankly we have enough power these days that developers can pull off pretty much anything they want in terms of game design. Oh sure VISUALS can always be improved, but in terms of scale I can't see much more being made possible without going into absurd levels of detail. I think we've hit the first barrier in terms of diminishing returns on new hardware, which is partly why we're seeing such an incredibly long generation of consoles.

Of course this is without mentioning the skyrocketing costs of game development. I bet if new consoles had come out by now Ubi would be complaining about the high cost of development instead.

Ubisoft: "Why innovate when you can whine-ovate"

So not even close to true. RAM and CPU are big limitations right now, and affect far more than just visuals. Ever notice how multiplatform games have lower player limits on consoles than on the PC (even the ones that use dedicated servers)? That's just the tip of the iceburg. Since many PC games are also multiplatform they're limited by the consoles, so you don't see how it could be if the consoles were less constraining.

15. Motorstorm Jul 23, 2012, 18:24 jdreyer

I always thought that was a pretty cool looking game, but since I only play PC titles, never played it. Is there anything on the PC that's similar?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 16:56 Eirikrautha

Bet wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 12:31:
Might be the English spelling. We're the heathens for using z's according to the forefathers of our language.

Actually, they'd probably look down on us for using a "zed," since that is how they end their alphabet. Smart

("Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." </Bruce Willis>)

m0deth wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:03:
This coming from the folks who think being 'pissed' means you are inebriated. meh

Hey, at least you can tell a strange woman in Britain that you're going to "knock" her up tomorrow and not get slapped!

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 16:04 bhcompy

For the record, age means nothing.

-God of War came out 5 years after the PS2, and God of War 2, which is considered in the top 5 games released for the PS2, came out 7 years after the console debuted.
-Metal Gear Solid came out 4 years after the release of the PSX
-Gran Turismo 2, probably the best console racer not named WipeOut XL ever, came out almost 5 years to the day after the release of the PSX
-Shadow of the Colossus came out 5 and half years after the release of the PS2
-Okami came out 6 years after the release of the PS2

3 of those are original titles. 2 are first sequels. 1 is a continuation of a story in a more or less completely new console genre that was otherwise unavailable due to technological limitations. All of them are among the pantheon of best console games(or even just best videogames) ever.

In short, fuck you Ubisoft. I hope you die for ruining Red Storm and Rainbow 6.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 15:37 kanniballl

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:14:
Quite frankly we have enough power these days that developers can pull off pretty much anything they want in terms of game design. Oh sure VISUALS can always be improved, but in terms of scale I can't see much more being made possible without going into absurd levels of detail.

Meh. I can see them making larger maps that take advantage of caching to RAM or whatever better. Even if "better" == more RAM to play with.

People complain a fair amount about either "rail" maps or "too long a load time" Advanced enough rigs would move alone the curve nicer.

But really, beyond visuals + maps + load time I can't see game design improving that much with new hardware. Unless better game-AI is only really suffering because we haven't hit enough CPU speed (but I doubt that). Or something really insane comes along like Kinect+VR

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 15:14 wtf_man

Wow... first they (all publishers) bitch about the cost of having to learn / develop for new tech... now they bitch about new tech not being available quick enough, since consumer interest does fade with old tech.

If they would have stuck to the PC, and developed for cpu speed / graphics breakthroughs, as they did in the past... they wouldn't have this fuckin' problem.

As someone else said... back port to the consoles, as needed.

Fuckin' idiots.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 15:14 NegaDeath

Quite frankly we have enough power these days that developers can pull off pretty much anything they want in terms of game design. Oh sure VISUALS can always be improved, but in terms of scale I can't see much more being made possible without going into absurd levels of detail. I think we've hit the first barrier in terms of diminishing returns on new hardware, which is partly why we're seeing such an incredibly long generation of consoles.

Of course this is without mentioning the skyrocketing costs of game development. I bet if new consoles had come out by now Ubi would be complaining about the high cost of development instead.

Ubisoft: "Why innovate when you can whine-ovate"

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 15:03 m0deth

Dear Ubisoft,

The only penalty you've ever encountered would be loss of revenue due to your own actions/inaction concerning your own titles. The hardware you choose to display your lack of creativity of late is irrelevant.

The tack you take on your PC customers is another reason you are "penalized", the horrid support, "same-old" gameplay with slightly more well thought out graphics, and lack of anything fresh from your stables is your biggest problem. Here's a pro-tip, fire your marketing dept., fire your community team, and give the money to your developers and see what happens. You already have plenty of distributors who will puke cash onto any title you send down the pipe in order to get it sold.

Thank you,
Gamers

{related comment note}
We're the heathens for using z's according to the forefathers of our language.
This coming from the folks who think being 'pissed' means you are inebriated. meh

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 14:41 SimplyMonk

kanniballl wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:36:
If it's not interesting... and IF I bought the console near release (which is rare) then I might buy an extra "trash" game just so I have more than 1 game to play on it. But I usually buy consoles a year after release.

All Ubisoft is thinking is that they are looking at the data and launch titles for a console get a significant boost in sales, mainly due to a limited market but new features/graphics add to that as well. They aren't thinking "what can we do that is new or interesting and can really get people excited". They are thinking "how do we sell more units without spending more money or having talent and original ideas".

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 14:36 kanniballl

I can at least partially understand some of Ubi's complaint.

Honestly, if a real cool IP is coming out and something I'm incredibly interested in... I WOULD like it to at least look good. I know GFX aren't everything... but I'd prefer some nicer graphics than not. Looking back at my past PC gaming, such an interesting IP release might get me to upgrade my rig.

Heck, even just a continuation of an IP that's been sitting on the shelf for a while like DeusEx prior to the 3rd game. I wanted it to look good so I picked up it on PC.

That being said: I'm NOT going to skip an interesting IP just because the XBox360 is 7 years old. If it's interesting, I'll consider and/or buy it.

If it's interesting, or the reviews or solid, it's not going to matter.

If it's not interesting... and IF I bought the console near release (which is rare) then I might buy an extra "trash" game just so I have more than 1 game to play on it. But I usually buy consoles a year after release.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 14:24 SimplyMonk

I find it telling that he isn't talking about how the current generation is falling behind in terms of performance, storage space or features. He is talking about how people don't like new IPs unless there is excitement surrounding it with a new console. That is bullshit.

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 12:30:
So basically what Ubisoft is saying is that it's a lot easier for them to put crap out when there is excitement surrounding a new console and people will buy anything for it.

Exactly. If your IP is "good enough" I don't really think that anyone will mind the fact that it started late in the console cycle. He is looking for a way to maximize sales without doing any work himself. Not deliver a deserving product. Shyster.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 12:35 J

I'd like to think that karma has penalised/penalized them. You turn your back on the PC, and now the PC is where it's at. Good job.  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 12:31 Bet

DRM penalizes them, by making people reluctant to buy into their games on the profitable (by all accounts) PC platform. Forget consoles.

ChopperDan wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 12:25:
Ubisoft: Lack of new consoles has "penalised" us.

Isn't that penalize? Just checking...
Might be the English spelling. We're the heathens for using z's according to the forefathers of our language.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo