Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It was a little rough overnight here at the BlueTower, as we had an unexpected fireworks show nearby last night that was far more calamitous than anything from Independence Day, which gave Hudson the wonder dog a huge freak-out. Then she woke me in the middle of the night equally freaked out by an almost equally calamitous thunderstorm, so both of us are a little sleep deprived today. This is a little easier on her than me at this point, since one of her daytime jobs is sleeping.

Thunder Buddy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Over The Moon.
Stories: DreamWorks Buys Collection of Old Characters. Thanks Digg.
It's Rough to Make a Living As a Pro Golfer on the Bar Circuit. Thanks Neatorama.
Pennies add up for Milford man. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Clancy's Used Car Driveway.
Dog Takes a Seat.
Auction: Old Toast From Prince Charles and Diana's Wedding Day Sells for $360.
The Funnies: Our Hero Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2012, 23:21 Ant

Sleep is overrated!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2012, 12:01 Mr. Tact

If you are trying to make a point there Cutter, I totally missed it.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: It's Rough to Make a Living As a Pro Golfer on the Bar Circuit. Jul 24, 2012, 01:28 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:34:
What a way to make a living, $5 a game, if you beat 49 others. Might be an okay way to finance your beer drinking, but as a living? Better than a coal mine I guess...

And if you sell a million games less Steam's 30 points? That's a damn sight better than working in a coal mine. 100% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 23:43 SimplyMonk

sauron wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 21:51:
I spent $70 in the sale but got 7 AAA titles for that:

Skyrim
Witcher 2
Empire Total War
Borderlands
Oblivion GOTY
Dragon Age
KOTOR

Should keep me going until the next Steam sale this winter, or,more probably next summer (plus still have to finish ME 2 and DXHR from the last sale). :-)

Your grandchildren would be dead and buried before you explored that list of games to their full extent. Zombie gaming!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 21:51 sauron

I spent $70 in the sale but got 7 AAA titles for that:

Skyrim
Witcher 2
Empire Total War
Borderlands
Oblivion GOTY
Dragon Age
KOTOR

Should keep me going until the next Steam sale this winter, or,more probably next summer (plus still have to finish ME 2 and DXHR from the last sale). :-)

Kittens!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 18:28 The Half Elf

kanniballl wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:43:
jimnms wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:13:
I made it through the sale storm with little damage done to my bank account. Most of the sales were games I already had, had no interest in or I knew I wouldn't play any time soon and would go on sale again later (possibly cheaper).

I was pretty close to buying Driver: San Francisco. But I bailed at the last minute. My machine is clean (for now) and didn't want any Ubi crud-ware on there.

Plus, I don't know how much the Youtube videos "sold me" on the car-switching mechanic. As a bunch of people were saying "Quantum Leap + Driver/GTA"

-

To be honest when I heard about the SHIFT mode in Driver I was very vocal about how much of a gimmick it would be to sell the game. But I did pick up Driver SF and knowing the premise of the game it really doesn't bother me. Plus it's a damn fine driving game all by itself.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 17:58 Asmodai

Just FYI, the cosplay link came up with a false Microsoft Security Essentials "virus detected" screen with a popup to clean the system, seems to be trojan'ed.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 15:43 kanniballl

jimnms wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 15:13:
I made it through the sale storm with little damage done to my bank account. Most of the sales were games I already had, had no interest in or I knew I wouldn't play any time soon and would go on sale again later (possibly cheaper).

I was pretty close to buying Driver: San Francisco. But I bailed at the last minute. My machine is clean (for now) and didn't want any Ubi crud-ware on there.

Plus, I don't know how much the Youtube videos "sold me" on the car-switching mechanic. As a bunch of people were saying "Quantum Leap + Driver/GTA"

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: It's Rough to Make a Living As a Pro Golfer on the Bar Circuit. Jul 23, 2012, 15:34 Mr. Tact

What a way to make a living, $5 a game, if you beat 49 others. Might be an okay way to finance your beer drinking, but as a living? Better than a coal mine I guess...  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 15:13 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:12:
Also is the Steam sale over?!?

Apparently so...the front page looks rather bland now. But hey, I no longer have to check steam at 2AM to see what just went on sale...

I'm both disappointed (no more surprises) and relieved (for my wallet)...

edit: 5 months until the xmas sale!
<daffy duck> whoo hoo! hoo hoo! hoo hoo! hoo hoo!</daffy duck>

I made it through the sale storm with little damage done to my bank account. Most of the sales were games I already had, had no interest in or I knew I wouldn't play any time soon and would go on sale again later (possibly cheaper). My biggest single purchase was $6.24 for Evochron Mercenary. I went back and forth with myself on that one. I tried the demo a while back and liked it, but for some reason I didn't get it the last time it was on sale. Other than that I picked up a couple of $2.50 titles, one of which I missed by minutes during the winter sale.

I did miss one game I wanted, it came up as a flash deal when I checked the store page for the new daily deals. I put it in my cart and was about to checkout when something distracted me. Then for some reason I had it in my head that it was a daily deal, so I wasn't in a rush to get back to my computer. When I finally got back, the game was gone, and it never came back up.

Steam Profile

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 15:09 DrSquick

Just an idea, but I would be plenty happy with the reward for getting a certain achievement being purely ornamental. Imagine if you could have different frames or badges on your Steam picture maybe... I thought the coal game was fun even though I was not under the delusion that I would win anything.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 15:02 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:43:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:26:

Apparently so...the front page looks rather bland now. But hey, I no longer have to check steam at 2AM to see what just went on sale...

Maybe because I have so many titles now - but the Sale lacked luster....I was hoping for a "play games to get x,y,z" sale. Oh well.

Yeah, last year we had activities that you could earn tickets for, and then trade those in for items. Kinda missed that this year. But I loved the flash sales, and the constant "should I wait, or should I jump in now?"

I'd love to see some sort of combo meal sale, where you pick one triple A title and two (or three!) indies (each from various lists) and get them for whatever sale price...

Yea I don'[t see them doing that ticket or prize thing anymore with the rampant exploits that were going on.....sounds like they were pretty upset about how that went.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 14:47 SimplyMonk

Guess we got lucky with our pups. Thunderstorms are extremely rare here in San Diego and fireworks occur only slightly more frequently but neither seems to raise much a reaction from them. The only thing I really worried about was the drills accompanied with loud booms the local Marine base does at random times during the night or day, but my pups barely seem to notice at all. That and when the fire alarm beeps or even goes off during cooking, they seem like the couldn't care less or if they do it is more like, "Could you stop being a moron and replace the battery or open a window when you cook? Thanks I'm going back to sleep."

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:43:
Yeah, last year we had activities that you could earn tickets for, and then trade those in for items. Kinda missed that this year.

I think they are still wrestling with the fallout they had with the bots/fake accounts that seemed to plague the holiday sale's coal farming. Doubt you'll see a involved sale like that again until they can come up with a scheme that eliminates or at least reduces exploitation.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2012, 14:52.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 14:43 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:26:

Maybe because I have so many titles now - but the Sale lacked luster....I was hoping for a "play games to get x,y,z" sale. Oh well.

Yeah, last year we had activities that you could earn tickets for, and then trade those in for items. Kinda missed that this year. But I loved the flash sales, and the constant "should I wait, or should I jump in now?"

I'd love to see some sort of combo meal sale, where you pick one triple A title and two (or three!) indies (each from various lists) and get them for whatever sale price...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 14:41 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 23, 2012, 14:05:

It's over, Johnny. It's over!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 14:26 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 14:15 NegaDeath

They have Jade Empire on sale for 75% today.

Everytime I try to get out they keep pulling me back in!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 14:12 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 14:05 The Half Elf

Blue do we need to chip in and get you the Ted soundtrack for you and your puppy?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2012, 13:40 Mr. Tact

I do it at least 7 hours a day and no one is paying me for it! What a ripoff!  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo