Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameFront - ‘Political Correctness’ Isn’t Ruining Games — Bad Ideas Are.
In the case of Smite, the game features, in particular, the sexualized depiction of the goddess Kali; with Six Days, it was the fact that the game depicted an on-going war with real casualties as a game. In both cases, there’s more than enough reason for a person to be offended, really, and the very least you can do is listen to the reasons those people have for their criticism. And then you can ask yourself, why does Smite need to use religious figures for its characters? Why does Fallujah need to turn an on-going conflict in which many people have been killed into a game?

Gaming Illustrated - I Suck at Gaming... Because I'm a Woman?
But like the question of the chicken or the egg, is it the lack of representation in the industry’s workforce that is facilitating games that encourage unrealistic views of women? Or is it the games that are encouraging misrepresentation in the industry?

View
14. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2012, 01:24 Jerykk

PHJF wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 19:31:
Video game writers want to tackle adult themes, but their audience isn't mature enough to handle anything even approaching anything beyond what they've already seen and are familiar and comfortable with. They automatically reject anything adult by writing it off as tropes and stereotyping, like you did with a game you haven't played and a script you haven't seen by writing it off as adolescent fantasy.

That's horse shit. Heavy Rain is like the only "mature" game in recent memory, and it did pretty damn well... gratuitous nudity of buxom babe notwithstanding.

Fact is "video game writers" don't exist. Games are invariably created and some kind of plot is shoehorned in after the fact. When's the last time you met a "writer" who wrote anything for a video game? That's like calling me a doctor because I gave you aspirin for your headache.

I'm pretty sure Chris Avellone has done the writing for quite a few classic games, including Planescape: Torment.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 20, 12:09 Re: Political Correctness MajorD
  4. Jul 20, 13:47  Re: Political Correctness RollinThundr
  5. Jul 20, 14:59   Re: Political Correctness eRe4s3r
  6. Jul 20, 15:08    El Primo De Los Matadors space captain
  2. Jul 20, 12:52 Re: Op Ed Silicon Avatar
  7. Jul 20, 15:13  Re: Op Ed PropheT
  8. Jul 20, 15:52   Re: Op Ed Draugr
  9. Jul 20, 17:00    Re: Op Ed Eirikrautha
  10. Jul 20, 19:31     Re: Op Ed PHJF
>> 14. Jul 21, 01:24      Re: Op Ed Jerykk