Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
15. Re: are you not entertained? Jul 20, 2012, 06:25 Prez

Orogogus wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 05:28:
Prez wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 01:47:
All very true, but ask any Christian if they would be okay with homosexuals being legally allowed to enter into a "civil union", which ultimately is EXACTLY the same as marriage in a legal and practical sense and all but the most fanatical ones (who frankly make the vast majority of other Christians uncomfortable because of their inexplicable fervor) are just fine with it.** They may not approve of the behavior but they feel less threatened because their precious word "Marriage" is no longer "under attack", whatever the hell that means.

I haven't found that to be generally true. Legislation to grant marriage-like benefits to same-gender civil unions have been regularly opposed. Legislation to allow civil unions gets blocked when, as you point out, it would be the easiest way to protect the churches' precious marriage, much, much more cheaply than the current campaign. And on an individual basis people I know will spout the same bullshit arguments that the churches and GOP spew. Prop 8 here in California got a lot of people to form an opinion one way or the other.

I guess it would depend on the region, though I live in the "Bible Belt" where one generally finds the most fervent of Christian zealots anywhere, and the percentage of those just adamantly opposed to any kind of legal recognition is pretty small (and usually relegated to the ones standing in front of the church screaming at a mostly bored congregation who generally just want to be good people and live their lives in peace).

The way it seems to me, though of course I could be wrong, as it is in many things, it's always the vocal minority who by virtue of their 'vocality' - and the penchant of the media to continually give fringe radicals the most press - come across as the majority. The vast majority of Christians I know - and having been raised one and practicing up until about 10 years ago, I know a whole lot of them - will quote all the relevant Bible quotes on cue, but when pressed to using logic (yes, most of them actually can) will grudgingly admit that there's really no reason to legally preclude gays from being in state-sanctioned unions. They just want to protect that whole 'marriage' thing. As illogical as that is, it does leave some room for reaching a middle ground.

Admittedly they still vote for the "pro-marriage" candidates, so one could make the argument that they are still part of the problem, but if you really want to reach them, telling them that everything they believe in and hold dear is childish foolishness (even if you believe that it is) is probably not the best way to go about getting them to see reason.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2012, 06:41.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 19, 21:24 Re: etc., etc. Fantaz
  3. Jul 19, 21:41  Re: etc., etc. killer_roach
  2. Jul 19, 21:40 Re: etc., etc. Cutter
  4. Jul 19, 22:18 Re: etc., etc. Veterator
  5. Jul 19, 22:46  Re: etc., etc. killer_roach
  6. Jul 19, 23:18   Re: etc., etc. Axis
  7. Jul 19, 23:20    Re: etc., etc. Quboid
  8. Jul 19, 23:42     Re: etc., etc. Prez
  9. Jul 20, 00:35      Re: etc., etc. Matshock
  10. Jul 20, 00:41      are you not entertained? space captain