Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Fortnite To Use Online DRM?

Fortnite may use always-on online DRM akin to Diablo III's, reports Rock, Paper, Shotgun based on an interview with Tanya Jessen, producer on Epic's upcoming Minecraft-style game. "Itís gonna be really dependent on gameplay, and itís also dependent on platform Ė the method of getting updates and stuff like that. So I canít say for sure today one way or another [whether or not we're going to use it]," she tells them. "Fortnite is a game thatís being developed as a co-op experience primarily. Thatís our number one focus. This is a game youíre gonna want to play with your friends, and itís most fun with your friends. So whatever we decide to do there is gonna be more relevant to the most fun experience you can have with your friends [than it is to piracy]. But I canít nail that down today." All that said about co-op, she does add that: "Single-playerís absolutely gonna be super fun."

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 21:22 Cutter

So in other words it's one more game a lot of us won't be playing.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 19:30 ViRGE

To be fair, Minecraft is classified as an online game as it technically requires you to try to log in to play SP. However if it can't login it'll let you play SP anyhow. So there's clearly a wide range for what "online" means.

Though I don't know what the Diablo comparisons are being thrown around. Diablo 3 is a server-side MMO, right up to the dumb client. Consequently if this is like Minecraft (full client, 3rd party MP servers) then this would be nothing like Diablo.

49. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 18:26 Eirikrautha

Paketep wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 18:16:
Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 12:41:
Really Beamer? Are you going to defend this now? Are you so far up publisher's asses?

Uhm. Have you read ANY of Beamer's posts?. Is there any doubt whatsoever?.

I'm telling you, if he's NOT getting paid by some publisher somewhere for his efforts, it's an absolute crime...

48. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 18:24 Eirikrautha

ASeven wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 17:59:
Why the comment? Did you bought D3 and now regret that the real implications of supporting such a DRM are starting to show up?

Ahhh, yes. The tell-tale tint of Kool-Aid on the lips... the universal indicator of fanbois and suckers alike... Dunce

47. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 18:16 Paketep

Really Beamer? Are you going to defend this now? Are you so far up publisher's asses?

Uhm. Have you read ANY of Beamer's posts?. Is there any doubt whatsoever?.

46. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 18:15 Paketep

Well, that's it then. Back to the dark basement, Epic.

I was mildly interested in this and trying to forget every stupid comment made by CliffyB and Mark Rein, but this... this brings me back to fuck you Epic mode.

So: FUCK YOU, EPIC.

45. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 17:59 ASeven

Alamar wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 17:02:
ASeven wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:21:
Here you go guys, the reward for buying Diablo3! Now everyone knows PC gamers will buy always online DRM and now everyone will implement it!

Hope D3 was worth ruining the experience of PC gaming.

Not surprised at the comment... Really not surprised at the person...

Ya know, because D3 was the first to do this...

At this scale of sales? Yes, yes it was the first to do this, to be a commercial success. Why the comment? Did you bought D3 and now regret that the real implications of supporting such a DRM are starting to show up?

44. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 17:55 Bhruic

Alamar wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 17:02:

D3 proved you could still get massive sales while doing it. In other words, they proved it could be financially viable.

Hopefully it'll only be financially viable for big name titles, and smaller stuff will suffer for attempts to implement it, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

43. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 17:02 Alamar

ASeven wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:21:
Here you go guys, the reward for buying Diablo3! Now everyone knows PC gamers will buy always online DRM and now everyone will implement it!

Hope D3 was worth ruining the experience of PC gaming.

Not surprised at the comment... Really not surprised at the person...

-Alamar

42. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 17:01 Julio

I never heard of this game before now, and I won't pay any attention to it from now on.

Epic can stuff their online DRM where the sun don't shine.

41. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 16:54 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 16:37:
ASeven wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 15:28:
ever since GoW their attitude has always been to have a security net in the form of a publisher for all games they publish.

Not really sure what "security net" you mean, given that Epic finances themselves. Also, you mean "develop" with that last one.

Maybe you're a "whiny cunt" that does nothing but bitch about games you don't like and publishers you don't want to buy from? Maybe you should just, I don't know, stop paying attention to the part of the hobby you're no longer part of? Maybe you should stop taking it so personally and reading things that aren't there?

Heh, you still got some kick in your answer but no, gaming is my hobby, all of gaming, and I've long decided after dealing with years of bullshit that the best way to deal with bullshit is to be brutally honest about it. As for me bitching, well, it would be if only it wasn't the truth. Epic doesn't care about PC gamers and are very assholish about it. PC devs not so assholish since they do get money from them but PC gamers? Total disregard. Yes they did the UE and they help indies, they still treat PC gaming publicly as a leprous market.

But I rather be a "whiny cunt" by your standards than a terrible apologist like you. At least I don't kiss corporate ass.

40. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 16:37 Beamer

ever since GoW their attitude has always been to have a security net in the form of a publisher for all games they publish.

Not really sure what "security net" you mean, given that Epic finances themselves. Also, you mean "develop" with that last one.

Maybe you're a "whiny cunt" that does nothing but bitch about games you don't like and publishers you don't want to buy from? Maybe you should just, I don't know, stop paying attention to the part of the hobby you're no longer part of? Maybe you should stop taking it so personally and reading things that aren't there?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 16:31 Prez

I hate Cliffy Bitchinzski as much as the next PC gamer, but Epic overall doesn't get enough credit from PC Gamers in my opinion. Many a great indie game has been made due to Epic's unrivaled support of the indie scene through its Unreal SDK, helpful support, and relatively cheap licenscing. Also, Bulletstorm was underrated/over-hated if you ask me. It was no System Shock but it was a blast to play - fun, mindless, visceral action. Sure parts were sophomoric, but if that really bothers anyone then just go back to your tea and crumpets while reading Shakespeare and wearing a silk robe with an ascot. The rest of us who don't get our prim and proper panties in a twist over silliness are here to have fun.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2012, 17:17.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 16:30 ASeven

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 16:22:
Beamer wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 15:19:
Seriously? "Cunts."

You're a good man, there, ASeven.

And there is no publisher for this. Epic, being very, very wealthy, hasn't had a true publisher relationship. Ever. And this is already looking like it will be self-published. It's almost definitely online-only and probably f2p. Epic has more than enough cash to do that on their own, probably a few dozen times over. In the past publishers were used solely for marketing (and they now have an in-house team and are hiring) and for distribution (which would now be Steam and maybe some other digital storefronts.)

I call them for what they are, if you can't handle raw honesty find something else to read then. I call as I see them and yes, they are very much a pack of cunts who only whine about PC piracy and people not buying their games while producing derivative crap all the time.

You are getting pretty epically worked up there (ba-da-bump)

Drummer

37. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 16:22 AngelicPenguin

Seriously? "Cunts."

And there is no publisher for this. Epic, being very, very wealthy, hasn't had a true publisher relationship. Ever. And this is already looking like it will be self-published. It's almost definitely online-only and probably f2p. Epic has more than enough cash to do that on their own, probably a few dozen times over. In the past publishers were used solely for marketing (and they now have an in-house team and are hiring) and for distribution (which would now be Steam and maybe some other digital storefronts.)

I call them for what they are, if you can't handle raw honesty find something else to read then. I call as I see them and yes, they are very much a pack of cunts who only whine about PC piracy and people not buying their games while producing derivative crap all the time.

You are getting pretty epically worked up there (ba-da-bump)

36. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 15:28 ASeven

Seriously? "Cunts."

And as for Epic self-publishing, possible but I can't recall the last Epic game that was self-published since GoW started as a franchise and as such I doubt they'll self-publish here, ever since GoW their attitude has always been to have a security net in the form of a publisher for all games they publish.

35. Re: Dumb Jul 19, 2012, 15:28 Draugr

Yakubs wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:51:
morose wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:14:
Case in point, I didn't buy Diablo III but I've had Torchlight 2 on pre-order for months.

Congrats. You've spent money and gotten nothing in return. And you won't for another 12+ months.

What's more irrational? Always-on DRM or people who pre-order video games?

lolwut?

Seems to me we're all waiting to hear whats irrational about pre-ordering a product.

34. Re: Dumb Jul 19, 2012, 15:21 PropheT

Yakubs wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:51:
morose wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:14:
Case in point, I didn't buy Diablo III but I've had Torchlight 2 on pre-order for months.

Congrats. You've spent money and gotten nothing in return. And you won't for another 12+ months.

What's more irrational? Always-on DRM or people who pre-order video games?

How is preordering irrational? You want something, you're going to buy it when it comes out, and you often get incentives for preordering it. That sounds like a good deal to me if you already know you're going to buy it. I'm not sure I understand how getting a shitty addition to a product is similar in any way to committing to buying a game before it's on shelves, either...

Besides, they're still planning on releasing this summer, so I'm not sure where you got the 12+ months from.

33. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 15:19 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 12:57:
1) This game has no publisher
2) That "representative" is the lead designer

1) Epic releasing a game without a publisher. Right. Santa Claus is also coming for milk and cookies. The time they would release anything without publisher backing is long gone.

2) Then that makes the interview all the more distressing since the very lead designer of the game has no idea of the focus of the game. Co-op is fun! SP is super fun! MP is the focus! SP is still fun! Holy shit if this was a sales pitch or an interview for another industry his product could be legitimately considered DOA.

Epics are cunts, they became cunts once they tasted money and they will always be cunts until a major event humble them and so until that time I trust nothing of what they say and neither should any sane PC gamer to whom Epic has showed up to this point nothing but utter contempt.

They'll blame piracy on PC and the evil PC pirates if the game fails to sell, even if it has always-online DRM. Calling it now.

Seriously? "Cunts."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 14:59 Creston

"Single-playerís absolutely gonna be super fun."

Well, I guess if you consider lag, disconnects and outages in your single player game to be FUN, then yeah, it'll be awesome.

What's more fun is how it's Epic, probably the #2 whiner about PC piracy (after Cevat Yerli) who says "it's not about piracy! It's about FUN!"

I wasn't really interested in this game to begin with, but if it's got D3's online horseshit, then it definitely goes off my list.

Funny how the original minecraft seems to be able to do just fine with a dedicated single player mode.

Creston

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo