Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard on Diablo III

The Diablo III Forums have a Message from Mike Morhaime reflecting on Diablo III in the two months since the action/RPG sequel launched. He recaps and explains the game's growing pains after launch, and goes on to discuss its future, saying they are working on a way to make the game playable without playing Diablo tycoon on the auction house, reducing issues related to the game's always-on requirement, and they are "also working on a gameplay system that will provide players who have max-level, high-powered characters new goals to strive for as an alternative to the 'item hunt'." Here's a bit:

You’ve seen some of that work already in patch 1.0.3, and you’ll see additional improvements with patch 1.0.4. On the game balance front, this update will contain changes designed to further deliver on the team’s goal of promoting “build diversity,” with buffs to many rarely used, underpowered class abilities. Another topic we’ve seen actively discussed is the fact that better, more distinct Legendary items are needed. We agree. Patch 1.0.4 will also include new and improved Legendary items that are more interesting, more powerful, and more epic in ways you probably won’t be expecting.

We’re also working on a number of interface updates, including social improvements that will allow players to more easily view their friends’ achievements, more quickly join games, and more efficiently communicate with each other. In addition, we’ll be making updates to the auction house in the future to provide players with better information through tooltips and notices, offer improved search functionality, and more.

View
92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

32. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 14:21 Prez

I think most would agree that ActiBlizz could have taken a shit in a box and slapped the Diablo sticker on it and it would have sold 7 million plus copies.

That isn't what they did for Diablo 3?

Sorry - can't help myself lately. Having a serious hate-on for Blizzard with how badly they fucked up my Diablo. Maybe I'll eventually get over it, but I am going to enjoy it while it lasts!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 13:58 Undocumented Alien

They already sold 7 million plus, it's a resounding success

I think most would agree that ActiBlizz could have taken a shit in a box and slapped the Diablo sticker on it and it would have sold 7 million plus copies.

I think most people would also agree that if this wasn't a Diablo game the publisher would have NEVER gotten away with this "always on" bullshit (as evidence in regards to Ubisofts treatment).

I have played the game, I gifted my buddy T1 in return for 1 character slot in his D3 game. The game is "OK". The online requirement sucks, even with 100 ms or less ping I get sling shotted back 10 feet for no reason. This sucks when you just want to play SP.

I agree with other posters here, the game is unbelieveable easy. In D1 I would only click about an inch away from my character as even in Normal mode in D1 you could get a royal beatdown if you went to fast. With D3, I have my Barb at an almost always on sprint as I just cut down shit like it was standing still. The loot drops do suck and if I really want nice loot I can just use the AH (non-RMAH). So why do I care about drops in the game? The cooldowns are fucking dumb.

Between not being worried about MOBS (to easy) and not caring about drops in the game (just use gold to buy a nice yellow), it just doesn't really feel like Diablo anymore expect for the hack n' slash (which gets boring pretty quick). I've played my Barb and now I'm on to some of the new games I got from STEAM with thier Summer sales. Just have no desire to play D3 anymore, they really screwed up a great brand for $$$.

30. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 13:55 Endo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:31:
The problem is that they went awaay from what "worked" in D2 to this. They said the Ladders weren't important and that Items are important....well, when you can buy all the items in the AH, you have killed your own game.

I enjoyed the game. I will go back to it just like I do D2 once in a while. Over 100 hours for a game is good for me and I have moved on. When they released info about the AH I posted it would kill the game - and it has. They can't be so daft and ignorant (well...maybe they are) as to think their numbers would sustain with such a small game after 2 months.....they dropped the ball.
The problem is (as I've posted quite a few times before) that Blizzard has lost the majority of the top developers they had back when they made stellar games.

So I'll say it again: the days of Blizzard making games of unparalleled quality and fun are gone. They no longer have the developers to pull it off. They'll still make good games, but they don't have what it takes to make truly great games anymore.

I called this before Starcraft 2 came out, and again before Diablo 3 came out. The evidence has been there for some time, but a bit difficult to see because they weren't releasing any new games for a long long time. So the only way to tell was with the WoW updates, which were steadily getting worse and worse (both on fun factor and quality - just look at the number of things they break in every new patch nowadays as compared to back in the early days).

With each new release, more and more people will become aware of this and it's going to get harder for them to just rest on their laurels. Unfortunately for Blizzard, I don't think they can ever rise to the level of production quality they had in the past so their releases pretty much aren't going to get better.

29. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 13:54 The Pyro

Admittedly I haven't played much D3 (open the open beta), but AH complaints remind me of several other multiplayer RPGs I've experienced. There's just too many items for sale. Too much supply forces prices downward, and the result is that players can buy items in the AH long before their characters could have found similar gear by just playing the game. Half the game is basically an item hunt, though, so half the enjoyment just evaporates as the player continues to get item drops that are consistently below the quality of stuff he can afford in the AH.

This sort of phenomenon is almost inevitable. You can't reduce the quantity of item drops, because that's half the "fun" of the game. But if you want to fix the AH system then somehow you've got to tackle the supply-side glut.

IMO there needs to be a more compelling item sink than the existing crafting system. Maybe crappy items could be used as material components for high-powered skills ?

28. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 13:28 loomy

gullible fuckers

the game sucks, the beta sucked, and anyone coming off diablo 2 should have known it. only newbies should have been suckered into this scam of the century. a bad game made the most money on release in windows gaming history.

I hope you all make up for this travesty by funding all kinds of stupid kickstarters. one of them might turn out excellent redeem your misplaced support.

blizzard (activision) hasn't designed a great game in a long time. but they've never had a failure. three cheers to people with more time than money, and more money than sense

27. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 13:19 Optional nickname

I can't stand the algorithms Blizzard put in this beloved game. it doesn't even matter what gear you have on, the whole AI is completely adaptive. mission control over at blizzard even has shutoff valves that dictates whether or not to drop quality rares, or rares altogether, during peak playing time,

Blizzard is totally paranoid with this game, moreso that the forum posters. They are sane, compared to those who were lead designers behind Diablo3.

although I find myself still playing the game, casually , each night, I smell all the things that are wrong with it, and they do this by varying the rewards, like huge water taps at their disposal,

don't get me started on the AH, I will give a thousand bucks to anyone who can reverse engineer that rigged POS and bring forth to light, just how unjust that service is to us all.

a sad state of affairs, Diablo3 Auction House Tycoon , turned out to be.

26. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:52 peteham

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:43:
Verno wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:34:
More players generally only dilutes your MF

I'm glad someone else tweaked onto that one, its been bugging me for awhile. Why does other peoples MF affect mine in a game with instanced loot? Why does a supposedly multiplayer designed game actively punish you for playing with other people? Why does balance matter in a segmented game with few persistent elements? So many things are totally at odds that it feels like they just don't have a handle on any strong overall design goals.

You can tell they really didn't think a lot of these changes through. Many of them were made in the latter half of their pathetic version of beta that tested essentially nothing other than the battle.net infrastructure. Overhauling the entire rune system a month before release without testing was another head scratcher.

Ya it also just makes it an annoying stat to calculate. ok, there are three of us - he has 60%, he has 95%, and if I put this on I'll have uh...
I think the idea was to prevent players from stacking high MF with otherwise crappy gear, and then leeching on other players, getting your own personalized loot without contributing anything to the group's ability to kill stuff. Combined with how much harder it becomes to kill elite groups with 4x HP even when those groups don't deal more damage, though, it really doesn't do much to encourage grouping. Especially with my barbarian, I have a much faster and easier time just rolling solo.

Basically, they're designing the economy/AH and forgot to design the game...

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2012, 12:04.

25. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:43 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:34:

I'm glad someone else tweaked onto that one, its been bugging me for awhile. Why does other peoples MF affect mine in a game with instanced loot? Why does a supposedly multiplayer designed game actively punish you for playing with other people? Why does balance matter in a segmented game with few persistent elements? So many things are totally at odds that it feels like they just don't have a handle on any strong overall design goals.

You can tell they really didn't think a lot of these changes through. Many of them were made in the latter half of their pathetic version of beta that tested essentially nothing other than the battle.net infrastructure. Overhauling the entire rune system a month before release without testing was another head scratcher.

Ya it also just makes it an annoying stat to calculate. ok, there are three of us - he has 60%, he has 95%, and if I put this on I'll have uh...

24. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:41 AngelicPenguin

eunichron wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:35:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:31:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 11:24:
Blizzard is now my new "one trick pony" developer. WoW was a huge success and they've proved that their new games aren't at the same level of quality or enjoyment. $60 for a thrown together hack-n-slash; I feel like such a sucker for purchasing it. An indie developer could have done a better job in a shorter period of time and put a price of $15 on it.

Wouldn't it at least be a three trick pony with Warcraft, Diablo and World of Warcraft?

Diablo 1 & 2, WarCraft 1, 2, and 3, StarCraft 1 & 2, and the first 4 years of World of WarCraft... I think that makes them a 7.5 trick pony.

Well I was lumping the similar games together since everyone says Blizzard remakes the same games over and over.

23. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:40 Prez

deqer wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:08:
Does anyone care about any news on D3 unless the news is "Online-only DRM removed."

That would have made me very happy had it been announced about 6 months ago. Now, having heard so much about how Blizzard made a game that, by all accounts, is markedly inferior to Diablo 2 in virtually every way except graphics - and put in a frickin' auction house scam and nerfed loot drops to compel people to use it - I wouldn't touch it if it were DRM free and cost nothing. The game has no value whatsoever to me. Call me when Blizzard goes back to making actual games and not cash grabs one step removed from Nigerian Prince email phishing.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2012, 12:01.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:35 eunichron

Blizzard is now my new "one trick pony" developer. WoW was a huge success and they've proved that their new games aren't at the same level of quality or enjoyment. $60 for a thrown together hack-n-slash; I feel like such a sucker for purchasing it. An indie developer could have done a better job in a shorter period of time and put a price of $15 on it.

Wouldn't it at least be a three trick pony with Warcraft, Diablo and World of Warcraft?

Diablo 1 & 2, WarCraft 1, 2, and 3, StarCraft 1 & 2, and the first 4 years of World of WarCraft... I think that makes them a 7.5 trick pony.

21. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:34 Verno

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

20. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:33 ASeven

And Starcraft.

19. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:31 AngelicPenguin

18. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:30 ASeven

I feel like such a sucker for purchasing it. An indie developer could have done a better job in a shorter period of time and put a price of $15 on it.

It's called Torchlight. Or Path of Exile. Or Grim Dawn.

17. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:24 Steele Johnson

16. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 peteham

InBlack wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:14:
Its a love hate thing with D3, currently Im on hate mode. Im pissed with all the shitty design decision, but the game has potential to be great, if they deliver on some of those promises.
Hah, yep. I'm in all-out hate mode at the moment and don't see this changing without an expansion that completely reworks a number of things.

- Leveling. 1-60 is now a super boring and pointless waste of time. Not a single worthwhile item can drop before inferno. Normal and nightmare are ridiculously easy. Only when you reach Hell do things become even remotely challenging, but don't expect to find stuff there that will be usable. In D2 you at least had a theoretical chance of getting something out of helping your buddies through nightmare or whatever by getting a lucky drop. Now it's just pure boredom all the way.
- Drop rates. Oh how I've enjoyed farming for hours and hours on inferno only to be rewarded with nothing but bullshit stat combinations and 200dps weapons. My main char is currently not wearing a SINGLE fucking item I've found myself. It's all from the AH. By design I'm sure. Enjoy grinding that gold, or use the RMAH.
- Magic find. Should've been left out to begin, and since it now apparently affects item potency as well as drop rates, it's basically mandatory. Once they "fix" gear swapping, the only remaining avenue here will be items running 50-200 million per slot.
- There's no reason to progress. When I quit playing, I was farming A1 inferno. Boring as shit, but it's the most efficient way to farm. Playing A3 while maintaining 300MF is basically impossible. At least without the aforementioned 50-200 million gold items..
- Single player is the way to go. As fucked up as it may seem for a game that's advertised and has always been about co-op. More players generally only dilutes your MF and the HP boost of monsters makes everything slower, even now that they've removed the damage boost. I farm way faster by myself than I do with buddies.
- Fucked up game balance. It's pretty obvious that inferno was designed by just adding a multiplier to EVERYTHING. Some elite pack affixes are flat out ridiculous.
- Four hotkeys! With cooldowns. My fingers are bored to tears while playing this game. Had to be squeezed into four face buttons and two triggers, huh? It's also funny to me that the most accessible barbarian build, for instance, is one that doesn't use fury at all.

I could go on forever, but that will do for now It's sad to admit this, but I would have ditched this game after 5-10 hours if it didn't have "Diablo" in the name.

15. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 HorrorScope

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:47:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:15:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:08:
Sounds pretty desperate.

The only thing is, it isn't. They already sold 7 million plus, it's a resounding success. Now will it have the legs they want... yeah probably so, since they now make a cut with the RMAH. What was their $ win with D1 and D2 with people playing it for years after?

I thought similarly once too.
That was when they made billions with WoW. I thought, wow, they are going to make even better games now and put even more money into their already good support.
And then, very quickly, the complete opposite happened, as if they actually made a huge loss with WoW.
Its just continuing now.

Right. I hold Blizz to the highest standards since they made God's money on WOW. They should be making the best games without question with the resources they should be investing. Are they? Not really.

I felt once they got a taste of that $15 a month from millions that would change them. In Diablo we see that change, they tried to come up with some way of making continuous $$ working within the Diablo realm and not make it a traditional mmo.

14. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 10:51 Elessar

deqer wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:08:
Does anyone care about any news on D3 unless the news is "Online-only DRM removed."

Always Online DRM is the least of my concerns. The fact they that castrated the item hunt game is the bigger issue. The game just isn't nearly as fun as it could have been. Initially leveling up it was cool, but after the 1000th piece of shit drop I lost interest.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

13. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 10:47 Muscular Beaver

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:15:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:08:
Sounds pretty desperate.

The only thing is, it isn't. They already sold 7 million plus, it's a resounding success. Now will it have the legs they want... yeah probably so, since they now make a cut with the RMAH. What was their $ win with D1 and D2 with people playing it for years after?

I thought similarly once too.
That was when they made billions with WoW. I thought, wow, they are going to make even better games now and put even more money into their already good support.
And then, very quickly, the complete opposite happened, as if they actually made a huge loss with WoW.
Its just continuing now.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo