Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dishonored Interview

An interview on Eurogamer chats with Viktor "Victor" Antonov of Zenimax about Dishonored, Arkane's upcoming action/stealth game. He talks about the state of writing in games in general, saying: "It's been a poor, poor five years for fiction in the video game industry." He also decries a lack of variety in the industry: "There have been too many sequels, and too many established IPs that have been ruling the market. And a lot of them are war games. And they're great projects and great entertainment, but there's a lack of variety today," he tells them. "So, when you step out of this established genre, people cannot grasp it, or the press tries to find a match." He seems to suggest the solution to this lack of variety in games would be more "historical [sic] realistic" games like theirs: "And too bad there are not; I was expecting there to be 20 games like this."

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Dishonored Interview Jul 19, 2012, 22:00 Prez

space captain wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 18:08:
Prez wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 17:23:
You don't hear musicians hype their upcoming album by trashing what's out there now or the current state of music.

thats because you arent listening/reading/watching

really naive shit here

Well, admittedly I don't really follow the scene like I did when I was in music myself, but the many bands I do still follow don't do it. Musician's when I was playing would always talk smack, but it was still considered bad form specifically when you were out hyping a new or upcoming release or tour. Maybe that's changed, but not from what I've seen. Still, unlike yourself I don't know everything, so points for you I guess.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Dishonored Interview Jul 19, 2012, 18:08 space captain

Prez wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 17:23:
You don't hear musicians hype their upcoming album by trashing what's out there now or the current state of music.

thats because you arent listening/reading/watching

really naive shit here

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: Dishonored Interview Jul 19, 2012, 17:23 Prez

Seems pretty legit to me. I lament the current state of gaming and all the same-y games out there all the time.

I do too fairly often. I just for some reason always considered it poor form when a dev does so when being asked about the game they are making. You don't hear musicians hype their upcoming album by trashing what's out there now or the current state of music. But you are right, he wasn't really being 'douchey' about it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Dishonored Interview Jul 19, 2012, 16:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 13:58:
"There have been too many sequels, and too many established IPs that have been ruling the market. And a lot of them are war games. And they're great projects and great entertainment, but there's a lack of variety today," he tells them. "So, when you step out of this established genre, people cannot grasp it, or the press tries to find a match." He seems to suggest the solution to this lack of variety in games would be more "historical [sic] realistic" games like theirs: "And too bad there are not; I was expecting there to be 20 games like this."
I never like it when developers "talk up" their game by talking down others; whether or not he is right is really irrelevant to me. Tell me what's good and different about yours, not what's wrong with the rest of gaming. Of course, it's obvious his innocent-sounding surprise is a thinly veiled attempt at highlighting his game's uniqueness, which is fine, but don't be a douche. That's just me.

Didn't really come off that way to me. He wasn't really putting down the other games, but rather lamenting the fact that the industry hasn't created anything else of note with the sort of sci-fi-ish "what if" historical fiction approach that we saw with Bioshock. Seems pretty legit to me. I lament the current state of gaming and all the same-y games out there all the time.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

1. Re: Dishonored Interview Jul 19, 2012, 13:58 Prez

"There have been too many sequels, and too many established IPs that have been ruling the market. And a lot of them are war games. And they're great projects and great entertainment, but there's a lack of variety today," he tells them. "So, when you step out of this established genre, people cannot grasp it, or the press tries to find a match." He seems to suggest the solution to this lack of variety in games would be more "historical [sic] realistic" games like theirs: "And too bad there are not; I was expecting there to be 20 games like this."
I never like it when developers "talk up" their game by talking down others; whether or not he is right is really irrelevant to me. Tell me what's good and different about yours, not what's wrong with the rest of gaming. Of course, it's obvious his innocent-sounding surprise is a thinly veiled attempt at highlighting his game's uniqueness, which is fine, but don't be a douche. That's just me.

- Mahatma Gandhi

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo