Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 20, 2012, 09:00 Verno

Never change space captain, youre my favorite poster  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. worms need food too Jul 19, 2012, 20:49 space captain

Verno wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 09:20:
He's a buffoon who has convinced people less knowledgeable than your average forum poster to follow his advice.

just like every other financial analyst... thriving off market speculation and pure bullshit.. not to mention the abject morons that hire these scumbags

It's not an uncommon tale in the financial world.

yeh you know the score

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 09:55 ASeven

He's been right more often than not on predicting console price drops, he predicted the $60 retail price point at the start of the current console generation, and his earnings guidance has been, on balance, very accurate.

He seems to provide much of his guidance based entirely on vague supposition scenarios where it is literally a 50/50 shot. I've also seen him pull some bait and switches with after the fact event guesses being revised. Some examples of his hits and misses, including some earnings guidance. How far in advance did he predict a $60 price point? Google doesn't turn up any results relating to that claim.

Working in the financial side of the industry doesn't suddenly lend predictions some air of accuracy. It's not just gamers who lambast this guy, the press is often exasperated as well but they keep posting it because its hit bait. Let's be honest, this guy carved a niche out for himself on personality and by making ridiculous claims. He's a buffoon who has convinced people less knowledgeable than your average forum poster to follow his advice. It's not an uncommon tale in the financial world. It is not because he is some financial visionary with a keen eye into the gaming industry, in fact hes made several alarming comments in the past that show a distinct lack of understanding of his chosen field.

Agreed. Some of his comments could even bring criminal charges or at least such was the law when I was working at S&P, leaking personal info that can have an impact on stock prices was and is a serious crime and his Riccitello comments did impact the stock prices and likely will also impact EA's structure by further accelerating an ongoing process.

As an analyst he reveals a total lack of comprehension for one of the markets he's working on, the gaming and entertainment industry, he's an ego whore feeding off publicity of himself, something that any sane minded analyst would run away and above all it's what Vermo says, his guesses seem a lot more based on instinct than actual knowledge of the working of markets. Heck, I'll go against the previous poster and say the average forum user knows a lot more than Pachter and probably can make a lot more correct guesses because the usual forum user knows the gaming market a hell lot better than this fraud.

Knowledge of the market, this is what makes a good analyst and Pachter is anything but good. It makes me wonder why he keeps putting his foot on his mouth lately, wonder if EA and Activision and all his client portfolio in this industry is suddenly firing him as consultant and he's desperate to prove he still has relevance.

And Vermo, buffoons that convince people to invest in toxic assets and commodities is something that's quite common in the financial world, a hell lot more common people think. On the grand scale 2008 recession's blame can be validly attributed to this kind of behavior that still happens.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 09:20 Verno

He's been right more often than not on predicting console price drops, he predicted the $60 retail price point at the start of the current console generation, and his earnings guidance has been, on balance, very accurate.

He seems to provide much of his guidance based entirely on vague supposition scenarios where it is literally a 50/50 shot. I've also seen him pull some bait and switches with after the fact event guesses being revised. Some examples of his hits and misses, including some earnings guidance. How far in advance did he predict a $60 price point? Google doesn't turn up any results relating to that claim.

Working in the financial side of the industry doesn't suddenly lend predictions some air of accuracy. It's not just gamers who lambast this guy, the press is often exasperated as well but they keep posting it because its hit bait. Let's be honest, this guy carved a niche out for himself on personality and by making ridiculous claims. He's a buffoon who has convinced people less knowledgeable than your average forum poster to follow his advice. It's not an uncommon tale in the financial world. It is not because he is some financial visionary with a keen eye into the gaming industry, in fact hes made several alarming comments in the past that show a distinct lack of understanding of his chosen field.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2012, 09:30.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 09:06 killer_roach

Dades wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 07:00:
Since you are paying attention and we aren't, which specific predictions are you basing this on?

Again, Pachter isn't speaking from the perspective of a gamer, he's speaking as somebody analyzing the financial side of the industry. Most of the time what he's saying won't register to you unless it's something particularly buzz-worthy, and even then he's more accurate than you would expect for predictions that are basically "reaches".

Of course, the business side of the gaming industry is something that's more often than not sneered at by gamers, so people that represent that end up quite often becoming targets of derision.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 07:00 Dades

killer_roach wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 04:22:
cento wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 03:58:
I don't understand why people keep reporting what this idiot was to say...

Hate to say it, but Pachter is right more often than most here about the state of the gaming industry. It might not be what you like, and you're more likely to remember the misses, but his overall level of accuracy is very high if you're actually paying attention rather than going "lol look what Pachter said," which, gauging from reactions around most gaming fora, is all the more attention that is paid to industry analysts.

As an analyst, most everything he says is some form of an educated guess. While I don't think he's spot on with his analysis here, the odds are good that he's at least partially correct (unless you just happen to think that Nintendo rushed out an alternate controller design out of the goodness of your hearts - if you do, then you're probably the sort of person who actually believes marketing speak).

Since you are paying attention and we aren't, which specific predictions are you basing this on?

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 05:39 Prez

Jesus I wish I had Pachter's job. He's already proven that any idiot can do it, so why can't I?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 04:22 killer_roach

cento wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 03:58:

Hate to say it, but Pachter is right more often than most here about the state of the gaming industry. It might not be what you like, and you're more likely to remember the misses, but his overall level of accuracy is very high if you're actually paying attention rather than going "lol look what Pachter said," which, gauging from reactions around most gaming fora, is all the more attention that is paid to industry analysts.

As an analyst, most everything he says is some form of an educated guess. While I don't think he's spot on with his analysis here, the odds are good that he's at least partially correct (unless you just happen to think that Nintendo rushed out an alternate controller design out of the goodness of your hearts - if you do, then you're probably the sort of person who actually believes marketing speak).

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 19, 2012, 03:58 cento

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 18, 2012, 21:11 NegaDeath

Keep driving that foot into your mouth Pachter.  

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 18, 2012, 19:45 ASeven

As opposed to market manipulation or burning some more bridges and realizing that and quickly backtracking.

Ah Pachter, the stain of all analysts. I hate market manipulators like this cunt.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo