Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight 2 Progress Report

A post on the Runic Games Forums by Travis Baldree discusses the reasons Runic Games has not yet set forth a release date for Torchlight 2, their upcoming action/RPG sequel, in spite of once boasting that Torchlight 3 would be released before Diablo III. He proceeds to offer a giant brain dump on what it is they are spending their time on, admitting this detailed account may all be "tl'dr." He does not confirm the game is still expected this year, but does promise more such updates "more-or-less weekly basis until this ships to give you something to chew on." Thanks Joao.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 28, 2012, 11:53 Ant

Dades wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 07:34:
InBlack wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 03:55:
Has anyone actually read his post?? Know what it sounds like to me??? It reads like a fucking panic attack thats what it reads like, its more like "Oh my fucking god, look at the clusterfuck of Diablo3, shiiiitt....we better overhaul our entire fucking game because if that shit cant fly with D3 rabidfans it sure as hell isnt going to fly in Torchlight2..."

No, they had a public beta and people had a large list of complaints and feedback so unlike Blizzard, they are actually working on addressing them instead of releasing the game too soon and letting it coast on the first games success.
Where is the list of complaints and feedbacks at? I thought the game was decent, but then I didn't play much of it. I did enjoy the first game even though it wasn't good as Diablo 1 and 2. Diablo 3 was OK.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 12:56 nin

The new issue of PC Gamer just got delivered to my Kindle Fire

(As someone that's about to jump on a fire 2, as soon as they're announced) How's that work? Is it monthly or a yearly charge? And how does it look?

Thanks!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 12:14 Optional nickname

I know TL2 will be a disaster, as clearly, Runic has been blackmailed and bribed by Blactivizzard, to intentionally delay their game further.
Ah corporate greasing, gotta love it.

Stay tuned for more delays, as probable patent infringement wars from arpg elements will surface.

yeah, more time to make it a better game, I wonder where we've heard that before, oh say, waiting 12 years for Auction House Tycoon 3.

Can't wait for simcity and Generals 2, over and out, I'm turning off the computer.

Kids, when you read this post, and decide to make your own gaming studios one fine day, please, stay classy.

27. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 12:07 Prez

The new issue of PC Gamer just got delivered to my Kindle Fire - on the cover is a headline: "Why Torchlight 2 is Better Than Diablo 3". It's written by Tom Francis, who happens be one of the few reviewers I actually like.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 11:07 nin

sauron wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 11:05:
If it's anything like Diablo III, they're spending their time working on the essentials. Like a really awesome "ERROR 37" screen.

Do NOT jinx it like that!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 11:05 sauron

If it's anything like Diablo III, they're spending their time working on the essentials. Like a really awesome "ERROR 37" screen.  

Kittens!

24. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 07:34 Dades

Has anyone actually read his post?? Know what it sounds like to me??? It reads like a fucking panic attack thats what it reads like, its more like "Oh my fucking god, look at the clusterfuck of Diablo3, shiiiitt....we better overhaul our entire fucking game because if that shit cant fly with D3 rabidfans it sure as hell isnt going to fly in Torchlight2..."

No, they had a public beta and people had a large list of complaints and feedback so unlike Blizzard, they are actually working on addressing them instead of releasing the game too soon and letting it coast on the first games success.

23. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 06:30 wonkawonka

I really liked Torchlight except for the cartoony feel. Ultimately that's what stopped me from playing. I know it's stupid but I can't explain it.  

22. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 05:48 Nighthawk

Awesome game, I doubt it, I've been playing the original since I got it free when I pre-ordered #2 on steam, and I'm amazed at how much of a diablo rip off it was, down the to music!
Entertaining yes, soothing my diablo fix, yup, but awesome it fails at.

That being said, I am anxious to try it and see the improvements.

21. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 04:52 Kajetan

In other words, they made a very similar game to D3 and are delaying it because it turns out that its the same piece of shit D3 turned out ot be...
Have you played the beta? According to players who did, TL2 wasn't anything similiar to D3 besides clicking things dead and looting dead things.

20. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 04:24 pacbowl

I have a feeling that any hack-n-slash game that resembles Diablo at all will do very well at this point. Until they do something to fix it, D3 can do nothing but go further into the gutter.  

19. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 03:55 InBlack

In other words, they made a very similar game to D3 and are delaying it because it turns out that its the same piece of shit D3 turned out ot be...

Here some very nice quotes from the blurb:
but some of the bigger ticket items were to do with respecs and how we handle them, how we join games from friend lists, detection of low-ping players, and a bunch of other stuff.
-aha ok...
We also decided we wanted to put more work into our uniques to make them much more special, and so on and so forth
-ooooh right....
All of the acts exist. ( There are 4, but the 4th is quite small in comparison to the previous 3 )
- oooh really??? Say it aint so....

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 02:28 dj LiTh

Kastagir wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 01:22:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 00:39:
I much rather see a Titan Quest 2 than a Torchlight 2. TL1 was pretty lame, why everyone's so excited for a sequel i'll never know.

You should take a look at http://www.grimdawn.com then. The developers of Titan Quest are working on a new game. Unfortunately, it's the same story as Torchlight 2: slow going.

Thank you Kastagir! Appreciate the tip.

17. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 02:19 Theo

hope they take the time needed, all tho i think a few people will be unhappy about the release slipping past summer (if it does) cause thats what steam has been advertising for the pre order.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

16. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 02:03 jacobvandy

Aren't they already working on an MMO? Probably not in serious development yet, but they've planned for it.  

15. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 01:42 OldTimber

Maybe they are just waiting for EA to buy them up. Then at somepoint direct them redo it with some shitty engine from 8 years ago so it can be released as a MMO.  

14. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 01:22 Kastagir

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 00:39:
I much rather see a Titan Quest 2 than a Torchlight 2. TL1 was pretty lame, why everyone's so excited for a sequel i'll never know.

You should take a look at http://www.grimdawn.com then. The developers of Titan Quest are working on a new game. Unfortunately, it's the same story as Torchlight 2: slow going.

13. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 01:20 Esoteric

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 18, 2012, 01:04:
The changes sound good, and based on my time with the beta, are very much needed. I think the game will be a lot better when it's released. I'm still skeptical of their decision not to have another beta after making some fairly major changes though. I guess that's the new thing though, we're all paying beta testers. It's gotta be a lot better than D3 at least, right?

I'm pretty sure it does have to be better. Uneasy Right?

12. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 01:04 Wowbagger_TIP

The changes sound good, and based on my time with the beta, are very much needed. I think the game will be a lot better when it's released. I'm still skeptical of their decision not to have another beta after making some fairly major changes though. I guess that's the new thing though, we're all paying beta testers. It's gotta be a lot better than D3 at least, right?  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 00:56 DangerDog

nin wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 22:07:
Take their time, and do it right. I'll take a late, awesome game over some half baked shit any day.

okay, but let's not get trapped in a polish and revise endless cycle.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo