Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed

A new Fire Team Multiplayer Developer Commentary offers a developer commentary on multiplayer features in Medal of Honor Warfighter, the upcoming installment in the military shooter sequel. The blurb below the trailer confirms recent indications that prepurchasing the game will entitle customers to access beta testing for Battlefield 4, the unannounced next installment in that series. Word is: "Plus, pre-order Medal of Honor Warfighter to gain access to the exclusive Battlefield 4 Beta!" The preorder page also offers system requirements:

Minimum PC Requirements
OS
Windows Vista SP1
CPU 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2.7GHz Athlon X2
RAM 2GB RAM
DVD DVD-ROM drive required for DVD installation only
Hard Drive At least 20GB of free space
Video NVidia 8800 GTS 512MB VRAM or better / ATI Radeon 3870 512MB VRAM
DirectX DirectX 10.1
Network 1Mbps DSL or faster Internet connection

Recommended PC System
OS
Windows 7 SP1
CPU 3GHz Intel Core 2 Quad / 3 GHz AMD Phenom II X4
RAM 4GB RAM
DVD DVD-ROM drive required for DVD installation only
Hard Drive At least 20GB of free space
Video NVidia GTX 560 1024 MB VRAM or better / ATI Radeon 6950 1024MB VRAM
DirectX DirectX 11
Network 1Mbps DSL or faster Internet connection

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 18, 2012, 09:25 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:09:
Companies often announce games long in advance of the game actually coming out. If they were planning on having it come out this year, then yeah, you'd probably have a point, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that'd be the case. Hell, technically speaking (as Blue notes), the game hasn't actually been officially announced at all yet.

I like companies to actually address major issues and generally fix the games they release before moving onto others but I guess I am just weird that way. Battlefield isn't exactly a 2 year iteration series, Dice can barely get fixes out to the game in a multi-year format, let alone every 2 years while also producing a bunch of DLC. Any further out and I might as well be buying EA stock

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 21:42 MajorD

RailWizard wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 20:45:
MajorD wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:49:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:19:
MajorD wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:25:
Thank God for Indies!

I'm still waiting on that indie developed multiplayer FPS game that can be officially called a "Battlefield Killer".

All in due time. Wink

Hope you are all joking heh. After the rebirth indies might be worth something, but as of now, they are 99% shovelware trying to emulate the big boys.(money makers not 'good' games)

In some cases that may be true, but there are some very good Indies out there that think outside the box, if you will, create games with more substance, much more creativity, gameplay time, etc. without being under the thumb of the grinding-money-machine-publishers. Frictional Games, thechineseroom, and Almost Human just to name a few.

33. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 20:45 RailWizard

MajorD wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:49:
Thank God for Indies!

I'm still waiting on that indie developed multiplayer FPS game that can be officially called a "Battlefield Killer".

All in due time. Wink

Hope you are all joking heh. After the rebirth indies might be worth something, but as of now, they are 99% shovelware trying to emulate the big boys.(money makers not 'good' games)

32. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 20:28 ASeven

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:49:
Thank God for Indies!

or a commercial AAA game for that mater.

Don't hold your breath. If anything indie was ever officially described as a "Battlefield Killer" in any kind of serious fashion, it would be bought up by a major publisher and turned into what the shareholders would rather have, a "Call of Duty Killer", likely the very next day.

Depends on whether the indies would sell or not. To some indies out there the big publishers can throw all the money they can and the indies will still say no. Notch is the prime example, he said no to the face of EA's boss.

31. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 18:49 Mordecai Walfish

Thank God for Indies!

Don't hold your breath. If anything indie was ever officially described as a "Battlefield Killer" in any kind of serious fashion, it would be bought up by a major publisher and turned into what the shareholders would rather have, a "Call of Duty Killer", likely the very next day.

30. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 18:49 MajorD

Thank God for Indies!

All in due time. Wink

29. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 18:19 RailWizard

Verno wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:08:
I don't get the hate for Origin unless you are a steam fanboy.

I used 'origin' back when it was called 'Link' to buy some expansion for BF2. It was never a problem. This was also before steam had anything except Valve games on it.(I think...)

I get the hate for EA, just seems weird talking about 'origin' like it's some autonomous thing is all I'm saying.

Origin is just really mediocre and shows no signs of serious improvement. I don't hate it but I'd rather not have it installed until they decide to take it seriously. It's just a little ad/tracking vehicle for EA stuff and I don't think there is anything wrong with not wanting to feed into that. Forget about being a "fanboy", Valve has a history of consumer friendly decisions that make it easy to want to choose their DRM implementation over one from a company like EA who has a spotty track record in similar things.

tl;dr - you don't have to love Valve to see why people prefer Steam to Origin.

There is plenty of advertising on steam. To the exact same degree in fact. Storefront plastered, plus popups.

Steam is also quite bloated now, the client still shits the bed now and then even on my new awesome box of death. (i7-2700k/8gb)

Finally, nice as Valve is, I still don't feel comfortable gleefully handing over a monopoly without some 2nd thoughts.

About the only difference is steam has the community tools, chat, groups, etc...plus epic sales every so often. 'Origin' definitely suffers here.

28. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 18:19 DangerDog

Thank God for Indies!

27. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 18:15 Mordecai Walfish

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 12:22:
Thank God for Indies!

Exactly!

Precisely!

Gross corporatism is echoing a rot throughout the gaming industry currently. )= Personally, I've seen enough of this cash grabbing, IP whorehouse of a "gaming industry". We need a return to roots here, and supporting indies who understand this, as well, is a great way to start.

The monetization of even the beta testing phase of games in combination with offering yearly subscriptions to players who want to "advance faster" and be able to experience the full game they already paid for more quickly, (than the schmuck who only shilled out $60 for the game or $80+ for the limited edition, and is obviously not invested enough in the "franchise" to up his trickle feed of 'game' that's been provided in the form of 'unlocks', any quicker) is in itself, quite telling.

Duh! It works for free-to-play, so why not games we pay full price for!? Man that's ingenious!

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2012, 18:50.

26. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 15:18 SpectralMeat

Bhruic wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:09:
the game hasn't actually been officially announced at all yet.
Well it's kind of announced already
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield4

Steam: SpectralMeat

25. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 15:09 Bhruic

Verno wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 13:25:
Yep. It's amusing because they've already talking BF4 and they haven't even finished the content people purchased BF Premium (less than a month ago!) for yet.

Why is that amusing? Companies often announce games long in advance of the game actually coming out. If they were planning on having it come out this year, then yeah, you'd probably have a point, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that'd be the case. Hell, technically speaking (as Blue notes), the game hasn't actually been officially announced at all yet.

24. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 15:08 Verno

I used 'origin' back when it was called 'Link' to buy some expansion for BF2. It was never a problem. This was also before steam had anything except Valve games on it.(I think...)

I get the hate for EA, just seems weird talking about 'origin' like it's some autonomous thing is all I'm saying.

Origin is just really mediocre and shows no signs of serious improvement. I don't hate it but I'd rather not have it installed until they decide to take it seriously. It's just a little ad/tracking vehicle for EA stuff and I don't think there is anything wrong with not wanting to feed into that. Forget about being a "fanboy", Valve has a history of consumer friendly decisions that make it easy to want to choose their DRM implementation over one from a company like EA who has a spotty track record in similar things.

tl;dr - you don't have to love Valve to see why people prefer Steam to Origin.

23. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 14:44 RailWizard

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:19:
I refuse to buy anything requiring Origin. And no, it isn't the same as Steam. I don't trust EA/Origin for anything. Shady bastards.

22. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 14:29 deqer

hey corps. can you stop rushing out your shit because you need to fill your pockets because you hired more people than you can handle. not our problem. so, dont make it our problem. stop rushing out your products. how about you just skip all that shit and work on it until everything is done and give us BF9. lets skip BF4, BF5, BF6, BF7, BF8. please.

21. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 14:19 xXBatmanXx

I refuse to buy anything requiring Origin. And no, it isn't the same as Steam. I don't trust EA/Origin for anything. Shady bastards.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 14:04 ASeven

Honestly, I find it hard that anyone would be willing to get BF4 regardless of their release date. If DICE takes so long to make patches to fix crucial stuff and don't give a shit about the rampant hacking why should any sane person ever trust them again with their money?  

19. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 14:02 ASeven

RailWizard wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 13:52:
Well so much for the debate about buying premium. lol

Did some Activision guys move over to EA or something?

How can they be this stupid???

It's publishers, being stupid seems to be a requirement for them.

18. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 13:52 RailWizard

Well so much for the debate about buying premium. lol

Did some Activision guys move over to EA or something?

How can they be this stupid???

17. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 13:25 Verno

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 13:18:
Battlefield Premium is not a subscription service, it's just a bundle of DLCs with a few extras.

Yep. It's amusing because they've already talking BF4 and they haven't even finished the content people purchased BF Premium (less than a month ago!) for yet.

Oh EA

WHAT THE FUCK COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE TRANSMITTING THAT REQUIRES MORE THAN 90 KILOBYTES A SECOND?!!! This is unprecedented.

Given the level of control and information cheats seem to have, apparently far too much Serious answer though, it's probably just a cover your ass legalese requirement type thing, I doubt they would actually use that amount of bandwidth.

16. Re: MOH Specs; Preorder BF4 Beta Access Confirmed Jul 17, 2012, 13:20 Lit_Reflex001

I cannot FUCKING BELIEVE that a 1 megabit connection is required to play! I've been stuck with this shit .7 megabit connection for 12 years and had always consoled myself that all games seemed to never really come close to eating up all my bandwidth for multiplayer.

I never had any trouble with 64 player multiplayer games before, for example.

But now it appears that not only is my processor lacking half the cores necessary for proper performance, I don't even have a fast enough INTERNET CONNECTION! JESUS CHRIST!

WHAT THE FUCK COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE TRANSMITTING THAT REQUIRES MORE THAN 90 KILOBYTES A SECOND?!!! This is unprecedented.

Also, I agree: EA is sucking dry another good franchise. Although I must jokingly point out that maybe it's a good thing: the less time DICE and EA have to patch away all the cool stuff like they did in BF2, the better the game will be in the long run!

Case in point: if you ever end up in a war somewhere with the enemy using armored helicopters, you tell your superiors to put the fucking heat seeking missiles away, cause all you need to take down one of those is a steady stream of bullets.

They call this "withering fire". The concept is that despite armor, if a steady stream of bullets keeps hitting a precise spot, it'll eventually cause the armor to fail. Think of bulletproof glass, which is a particularly strong example.

EA's interpretation of this is if you continuously hit COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PARTS of a bulletproof vehicle with bullets, it will spontaneously explode.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo