Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Game Limits Returning

The Diablo III Website announces Blizzard's plans to reinstate limits on the number of games a player can launch within a given time period to help curtail exploits and the use of bots. Here's a bit:

The use of bots not only impacts the stability of the game service, but it also has an impact on the player-driven economy. While we regularly take action against accounts for the use of unauthorized third-party programs and bots, this additional measure will help us further preserve and protect the integrity of the game and economy in between ban waves.

Once this change goes live, we're looking for your feedback to help ensure that the limit is working as intended. If you encounter the "Input limit reached" message and feel you should not have, please let us know how many games you were creating and why. This information will help us ensure the limit minimally impacts legitimate players while still protecting the game against bots.

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:23 Verno

My question is though, if you could strip away those negative surrounding features like the online only restriction and the prevalence of the auction house and strip the game down to purely the gameplay... is it actually noticably better than previous dungeon crawler games? Diablo 2, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege etc? How does the action compare, are the character builds interesting, what's the long term appeal like?

It's hard to answer because in some things it's better but in most ways its a feature reduction from previous games or the implementations aren't well thought out. It's sort of a yes and no thing. The actual hack n slash play at its most basic level is just alright to good, enemy variety isn't great but the level of feedback on abilities is very well done and the game coasts on that feeling for quite awhile. Itemization is really spotty and MMOish, they cared far too much about balance in this area. The character builds -could- be interesting if most were even viable by the time you reach Inferno. As it stands though it feels like there is a lack of customization and personalization of builds.

Unlike some others here I'm not ready to condemn Blizzard for all time because Diablo 3 had an iffy launch or really mediocre design choices. They do have their work cut out for them though, the game has little longevity since they focused so much on cutting down for accessibility and balance.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:17 eunichron

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:52:
eunichron wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:12:
KS wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:04:
leading to a reduction in its price, and of comparable items.

Except that's not what's happening. The "enterprising people" aren't generating more items, they're generating more gold, which is causing rampant inflation due to the rate at which bots can introduce new capital into the system. Regular, i.e. non-botting, players can't keep up.

At the same time though, if the gold AH was anything like sane, nobody would be spending money on the RMAH, and blizzard wouldn't be making 15 bucks off of a 100 dollar video game weapon.

Which bakes my noodle...

PEOPLE ARE SPENDING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS ON A VIDEO GAME WEAPON. A FEW LINES OF CODE AND A FUCKING PIECE OF ARTWORK THAT IS STORED ON A SERVER SOMEWHERE.

Ahem. Sorry I'm under control now. But the idea that it's actually happening is just f*cking crazy sauce to me.

Yet it's nothing new. People bought items for real money in EQ and Diablo 2. People now pay for hats in TF2 that are in fact even worth less than Diablo items since they are purely cosmetic. It's not up to you to decide what is right or wrong for people to spend their money on.

On that note, I have never and will never spend a dime on video games beyond the purchase price for the game or a DLC. However, because of the RMAH I have made the money back that I spent on the cost of the game plus a little extra, and I don't regret it one bit. I seem to have hit a plateau though and haven't been able to sell anything in a couple weeks. Might be time to sell off all my character's gear and throw in the towel.

37. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:15 Darks

rist3903 wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 15:08:
this additional measure will help us further preserve and protect the integrity of the game and economy in between ban waves.
The integrity of the game and economy has already been completely and utterly boned by the flood of gold farmed by bots.

If blizzard was doing their job by actually fixing the game and monitoring for the MFers running bots and banning them there would be no need to limit logins. As for Inferno, well thatís a travesty in its self. I must have killed 2000 Goblins now, and most of the time id-ing an items turns into shit. The stats are atrocious most of the time. The whole random stating to items after id-ing is ridiculous. Totally broken.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

36. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:10 Flatline

MisterBenn wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:53:
I'm completely satisfied that I stayed away from this one, from all I've read the cash cow and online only design choices definitely have constricted the fun to be had.

My question is though, if you could strip away those negative surrounding features like the online only restriction and the prevalence of the auction house and strip the game down to purely the gameplay... is it actually noticably better than previous dungeon crawler games? Diablo 2, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege etc? How does the action compare, are the character builds interesting, what's the long term appeal like? From the vids I've watched it reminds me of Starcraft 2, mainly an update to modern technology and production levels but largely the same game we've played before. Is this the case with Diablo 3?

It's more streamlined in some ways, and the skill/rune system is kind of cool, but basically it means you can only have 4 abilities at once. Granted, you can only have 2 in say Diablo 2, but you could hit the s key and swap out skills uber-fast. Now there's a menu and a cooldown timer.

D3 is kind of boring because the first half of the game is a retread of Diablo 2, with a few new minor areas that are kind of cool. Actually I take that back, acts 1, 2, and 3 are retreads of Diablo 2. Act 1 is Tristram and the area around it, act 2 is the desert, and act 3 is the barbarian lands/fortress. And you go to hell. So really there's only one short act that actually is new and unique to Diablo 3 (I won't say due to spoilers).

However, it's easy to mow down hundreds of baddies, at least until Inferno where the difficulty level spikes about 300% and the equipment drops to survive aren't forthcoming (hence 200 dollar weapons and shit in the RMAH), but moreso the fundamental pacing of the game is off. Diablo is a skinner rat experiment disguised as a video game. The entire point of playing is to grind new loot and kill mobs quick. That's... gone. The drop rates are abysmally low. Inferno mobs are crazy insane and at times literally you can't kill them, you can only run away. Gold in D2 was plentiful and largely useless aside from repairs and the occasional money sinks. Here it's needed for fucking *everything*, and drops at about 1/10th the speed of previous games. White items no longer sell for a decent amount, they're basically so worthless I don't even bother collecting them once magic items start dropping. An inventory full of white items might net you 20 gold. Magic items are not much better, netting you a few hundred, maybe a thousand here or there. It's all designed to channel into the Auction House, where either gold inflation (since it costs fucking billions to do anything) makes it unreasonable to buy anything without farming, or the RMAH where Blizzard takes their 15% cut.

It's about 70% of the game Diablo 2 is, and that missing 30% includes the exquisite timing of loot drops and most of the fun. So unlike Starcraft 2, which was a tech upgrade, D3 is actually a step *backwards* in the diablo line.

35. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:08 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:04:
When is Torchlight 2 out again?

Creston
At PAX Prime maybe? (I don't really think so, but that would be nice..)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

34. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:08 rist3903

this additional measure will help us further preserve and protect the integrity of the game and economy in between ban waves.
The integrity of the game and economy has already been completely and utterly boned by the flood of gold farmed by bots.

33. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:05 Darks

Flatline wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:52:

Except that's not what's happening. The "enterprising people" aren't generating more items, they're generating more gold, which is causing rampant inflation due to the rate at which bots can introduce new capital into the system. Regular, i.e. non-botting, players can't keep up.

At the same time though, if the gold AH was anything like sane, nobody would be spending money on the RMAH, and blizzard wouldn't be making 15 bucks off of a 100 dollar video game weapon.

Which bakes my noodle...

PEOPLE ARE SPENDING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS ON A VIDEO GAME WEAPON. A FEW LINES OF CODE AND A FUCKING PIECE OF ARTWORK THAT IS STORED ON A SERVER SOMEWHERE.

Ahem. Sorry I'm under control now. But the idea that it's actually happening is just f*cking crazy sauce to me.

Dude, you express my exact feeling about this game and the AH. Itís utterly stupid how it is on there. It drives me crazy when I see how much people are asking for an item. I put items on there for 5 dollars and still they donít sell. So Iím like how in the hell is anyone really making anything off the AH.

The other part of this that drives me bananas is the Inferno difficulty. Blizz absolutely refuses to fix it, and they have even admitted that itís broken.

So now they want to limit our logins to a certain amount of times per hour. Great!, all my brother and I do for an hour or two is login, run the two areas in Act 2 for Goblin kills and log back out. So now they want to fuck us over on that too. Awesome!!

All they want is to FORCE us to spend money on items. Sorry not me!!
More nails in this coffin please! Where oh where are you Torch Light 2?

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

32. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:05 Beelzebud

Diablo 3 is going to go down as Blizzard's moribund title.

At the risk of sounding like a douche: They sold out. Plain and simple.

Like a fool, I gave them the benefit of the doubt, given their track record. However after playing the game for over 200 hours since it came out, I finally had to face the fact that the entire game is designed to eventually funnel you in to that RMAH. Gold inflation? They don't care, because it will just get people to the RMAH even faster. Or so they thought. The opposite has happened and people like me are finally throwing our hands up, and quitting.

The core game itself is quite good. They did a great job of translating the Diablo game mechanics to the new engine. The problem was when they decided that balancing the game for RMAH was more important than making a fun game.

Never again will Blizzard be a 'day 1' purchase for me.

Blizzard has become another modern corporate greed machine. They exist to make the top executives at ActiBlizzard as much short term profits as they can, without any consideration to the longevity of the company.

This is clearly not the same company that put out Diablo and the Warcraft games. Their hard earned reputation is in ruins, and I doubt the executives even realize it yet, or if they do, they're making themselves so much cash right now, that they don't care.

31. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:53 MisterBenn

I'm completely satisfied that I stayed away from this one, from all I've read the cash cow and online only design choices definitely have constricted the fun to be had.

My question is though, if you could strip away those negative surrounding features like the online only restriction and the prevalence of the auction house and strip the game down to purely the gameplay... is it actually noticably better than previous dungeon crawler games? Diablo 2, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege etc? How does the action compare, are the character builds interesting, what's the long term appeal like? From the vids I've watched it reminds me of Starcraft 2, mainly an update to modern technology and production levels but largely the same game we've played before. Is this the case with Diablo 3?

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

30. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:52 Flatline

Which bakes my noodle...

29. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:47 Muscular Beaver

What happened to the only reason to make this game online only?
I still see cheaters and now players will get another shaft?

Wow... seriously, I thought it couldnt get any worse.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

28. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:12 eunichron

27. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:09 Silicon Avatar

I didn't buy this game at launch and so far I have not been tempted to pay full price for it.

26. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:08 Verno

LgFriess wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:02:
Then again I sat up for hours last night mining in Terraria. Hacking up little mounds of dirt and stone in hopes of finding some new ore or items. I honestly don't know why it's so damn fun but hours just disappear.

Terraria is great because you can grind until its boring then actually make stuff with the fruits of your labor. There's also cool items to find that do interesting things (a lesson Diablo 3 needs to learn) instead of just iterating a stat point or whatever in the name of the balance.

They still haven't pinned down a date, it's getting a bit exasperating.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

25. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:07 SimplyMonk

deqer wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 12:55:
...because explain to me exactly why ANYONE would like a timesink that 1) profits off you, and 2) is actually scaled even further than what you feel is acceptable, 75+ hours for nothing.

Facebook?

24. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:04 KS

Protect the "integrity" of the game economy?

It's called farming for a reason, and capitalism. Enterprising people are generating more of a desired thing, leading to a reduction in its price, and of comparable items.

Restricting this artificially is the cause of want, not the solution to it.

23. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:04 Creston

Creston

22. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 14:02 LgFriess

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 12:57:
Well shit, there's no way this is just to curtail the use of bots. Bots or not, it still takes some time to do any farming run, so this will definitely impact manual farming as well. There's a really neat spot in Act 1 that can net you up to 500k per hour between loads of monster gold and some magic drops, but it involves restarting from a conveniently close-by checkpoint and running over to the little side dungeon/basement that has about a 50% chance to be open. It takes no more than 10-15 seconds if it's not there, and maybe up to 25-30 if it is.

That sounds very... boring. Guess I'm in the minority though considering how popular the game is. It reminds me of doing dailies in WoW and SWTOR. Just this repetitious grind to get another small step forward.

Then again I sat up for hours last night mining in Terraria. Hacking up little mounds of dirt and stone in hopes of finding some new ore or items. I honestly don't know why it's so damn fun but hours just disappear.

21. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 12:59 wonkawonka

MattyC wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 12:12:
wonkawonka wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:36:
I have no idea what the cheating is about, but it must be really rampant (and bots must be ruling the roost) because prices in the AH are insane for a normal player, and drops rates are epsilon (and drops are crap anyway).
I played 75 hours, much of it at level 60, quite a bit of it on inferno, and I have YET TO SEE A DROP BETTER THAN YELLOW.

Needless to say I stopped playing.

At 75 hours you either leveled crazy fast or you didn't spend that much time in inferno.

That's what the game is telling me, it might be a lot more. I didn't level crazy fast, in fact I played most of the time alone, just going through each difficulty level and act. Until inferno where I've had to partner up. And I did spend quite some time in inferno. But think about what you're saying: that a player who spent 75 hours on the game ISN'T EVEN EXPECTED TO GET ANY COOL ITEMS.
Something is dangerously broken there. I did have fun with the game, I do feel I got my money's worth (barely, because it's not varied enough in skills and items) but I'm ready to move on. And why? because a large part of it is that the game is being so exploited by bots and others that for the regular guy like me it's just useless.

MattyC wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 12:12:
As for the AH, why use it? Farming for items more or less is Diablo. Drops do need to be buffed (they are working on that) but atm yellow more or less is the best.

If anything I would say paranoia from their history with WoW, not a lack of testing lead to most of the negative aspects of the game. They seem far too concerned with hardcore players blasting through the content and burning out. That resulted in overtuned champ packs with underwhelming drop rates.

Exactly. They have a major problem with bots and/or hardcore players and they should have identified the issue. Simply make 2 environments, for hardcore/bots and for regular people. The difference being that regular people can't trade items between them, and therefore drop rates are hugely higher, resulting in a much more enjoyable single-player experience.
As long as they don't split those two actor types, they're going to be damned if they do and damned if they don't regarding the drop rates.

20. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 12:57 jacobvandy

Well shit, there's no way this is just to curtail the use of bots. Bots or not, it still takes some time to do any farming run, so this will definitely impact manual farming as well. There's a really neat spot in Act 1 that can net you up to 500k per hour between loads of monster gold and some magic drops, but it involves restarting from a conveniently close-by checkpoint and running over to the little side dungeon/basement that has about a 50% chance to be open. It takes no more than 10-15 seconds if it's not there, and maybe up to 25-30 if it is. So if they put a limit on starting games, say only once every 30 seconds or even a minute, it's going to fuck that up pretty bad.

The Barb strategy I and many others use would be pretty much impossible to do with a bot because of the variables involved... But I guarantee Blizzard did not sit around thinking of ways to stop bots, but to stop rapid-restart farming period. They're not going to be satisfied until EVERYONE is funneled into playing this game a very specific way that they think is best. And that is how they're screwing themselves over.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo