Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

PlaySF - Children Of Starflight.
So what did make the game great? What must we absolutely keep? The first and most obvious is that it needs to be a BIG universe out there. Somewhat less obvious, but almost as important, is that it has to be lonely. I can think of some ways that cooperative multiplayer might work, but the core game experience needs to see the player alone in a vast, dangerous universe with only his ship and crew to rely on. Third, and this one is hard in today’s gaming climate, handholding must be kept to a minimum. Maybe you give the player a brief tutorial mission or two, but then all kinds of direct intervention by the game to tell the player where to go must stop. You feed the player clues through a dozen or two different ways, sure; but a game like this succeeds on the player’s sense of discovery and achievement as he begins to connect the dots in his mind. For modernity’s sake I would advocate for systems that allow the player to keep all kinds of notes in a sophisticated journal (for example, with direct links to the starmap), but let the player make those entries himself.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2012, 21:02 Elricsi

Starflight was the best game I have ever played. I still plan on playing Starflight 2 someday.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2012, 20:06 dj LiTh

I miss starflight and starflight 2....i miss them so much...  

2. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2012, 13:31 Silicon Avatar

STO's combat is okay, but it's devoid of any strategy after a certain level - you just mash all the buttons and win. The only problem you'll ever see is if you aggro to many Borg.

Starflight was fun. It was kind of barren as I remember it, but it was definitely fun. I liked the genre as a whole. Mass Effect (the first one) sort of brought parts of it back. Sort of.

I liked Planet's Edge too, buggy as it may have been.

Star Control 2 also holds a fond place in my memories. It did a lot of things right and may have been my favorite game of the lot.

1. Re: Op Ed Jul 17, 2012, 12:26 Prez

Maybe you give the player a brief tutorial mission or two, but then all kinds of direct intervention by the game to tell the player where to go must stop. You feed the player clues through a dozen or two different ways, sure; but a game like this succeeds on the player’s sense of discovery and achievement as he begins to connect the dots in his mind.

I like this concept. I MISS this concept. Rare indeed is the game these days that doesn't handhold in the name of "accessibility". Somewhere between the cheap insta-deaths of the early Sierra games and the impenetrable sim games of a bygone era, and the 'press a button and awesomeness happens' mentality of many of today's games is the perfect t middle ground. Glad to see someone is still interested in finding that perfect balance.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2012, 12:31.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo